The last game you couldn't complete and the reason why

ne0

ne0

Associate
RDR 2 - while it had a beautiful setting and i enjoyed the combat and a lot of the missions. I just hated rpg stuff like building the camp, getting food, gathering resources, looking after your horses, seemed to drain a lot of my time and patience, gave up after 5-6 hours.

It's weird because building camps, getting food and gathering resources is largely unnecessary in the game. I completed it recently and barely did any of that at all. Looking after your horse consists of brushing it occasionally or shoving some plant in its mouth plus you can do it whilst riding. I don't really get these complaints.

Associate
Almost every game I've played in the last (EDIT: 5) 10 years.

The only games I've completed in recent memory are:
  • Until Dawn
  • Uncharted 4
Modern games are all just too much like hard work. Cannot be bothered with the drip, drip, drip of enjoyment at very low levels, and I don't have the time for repetitiveness.

Last edited:
Associate
Almost every game I've played in the last (EDIT: 5) 10 years.

The only games I've completed in recent memory are:
  • Until Dawn
  • Uncharted 4
Modern games are all just too much like hard work. Cannot be bothered with the drip, drip, drip of enjoyment at very low levels, and I don't have the time for repetitiveness.
There's too much focus on trying to push addictive gameplay loops over actual fun, especially when the industry's concept of what is addictive is usually at odds with that which I personally find addictive

Associate
This will make you feel better I’ve pretty much played all the newest titles over the past 6 years and I’ve not completed any of them lol ! All comes down as bored with doing the same thing over and over and a good 80% of games are like this now. Prime sample all the assassin creed games , beautiful to play but repetitive..

By looked at the feed back here looks like a lot of people don’t complete games anymore lol.

Currently playing RDR2 as I want to play it with my new 3080 in 4K , yes its a very slow game to start with but taken my time and enjoying it.

Caporegime
Every game I've played in the last decade or so
I always get near the end and forget, or pick up so many games I never finish any
Yeah I have an odd habit of getting pretty close to the end of a game and just putting it down.

It's either that or I give it 5 mins and it just doesn't click, so I put it down.

I think the former is because some games just get really stale near the end. Take Nier:Atomato. It was fun for the most part, except one really (really) annoying bit.

But towards the end it was endlessly repetitive and I just couldn't give a crap anymore. The first Nier I stuck with right to the bitter end, and was much more engaging near the ending/climax. Which was actually a climax. A culmination of everything that had happened. With Nier:A it's just like, "Oh that's it? They were the bad guys? I barely knew them, and really couldn't care less about them."

So I guess the story has a lot to do with how often I see things through to the bitter end. Either that or the gameplay loop is so kickass I don't want to stop.

Maybe one day I'll finish Nier 2. But it's not something I'll look forward to. It'll just be the completionist/OCD getting the better of me.

Subnautica.

Monsters in VR literally bring the fear down on me. Underwater trapped in a VR bubble with them didn't go well.

Loving the game till i got spooked by a reaper and got forced to go deep, i just couldn't stand it.

This is exactly why I loved the game. What a shock it was to discover its a horror game and not just a survival build a base game. I have never played a game where I am shivering in fear. The go deep thing, and then go deeper, and then go even deeper and then being forced to drop out of your what feels like a relatively safe submarine into a little mech walker to get that final bit deeper is just nuts how scary that is.

Very well done game.

It's interesting to see how many people gave up with games not because of bad issues, but because the game is boring. I am sure if these games added coop that more of them would be completed.

Having just finished mafia definitive edition, I have realised how much better it is to have a clear new chapter after doing a mission. I've realised the issue with these big open world games with lots to do but it's mostly aimless that you never feel connected or on a proper path. Mafia 1 has a clear straight line with the story, a clear start and end to each chapter, and each mission is unique and different from the last. These for me at least really helped keep me engaged. Newer games now just pump a big open world with pointless filler and often are too open and directionless causing boredom as you are just going through the map ticking off little markers.

The last game I didn't finish (excluding random games like overcooked) was cluster truck. The final mission is ridiculously hard.

I too didn't finish the witcher 3, barely playing 5 hours of it. Was dull and I didnt care for any of it, however red dead 2 I played to completion and loved almost all of it.

Associate
Horizon Zero Dawn had it for ages on the PS4 and never got into it, Uncharted 1 I got some way in love the story but the gameplay is just well not fun but I do want to someday complete it to get on to the sequels.

Soldato
COD Multiplayer due to the broken OP instakill "marksman rifle" that is more powerful than a sniper rifle and can quickscope instakill even with bodyshots.

It's like there are so many cheaters in COD that they just gave everyone a cheat railgun instead of fixing the problem.

Soldato
Far Cry New Dawn. I've come to the conclusion that I'm done with all Ubisoft games. Their formulaic approach to game design bores me. Also, Yakuza 0; I stomached 3 hours then couldn't be bothered with it.
Every time I pick this up I play for 5 minutes and put it straight down. It is an empty shell of a game imo.

Soldato
I was really enjoying Gears Tactics until the final boss. I ran out of patience after a while and accepted I’ll never complete it.

The Resi 2 remake. Looks like a fantastic game but it’s too tense for me to sleep properly after playing. I can’t play it earlier in the day as it’s not exactly suitable for my 9 and 8 year old to see!

Hellblade: Senua’s sacrifice. Another great game but a bit too disturbing. I found it also stopped me sleeping.

Back
Top Bottom