Votes: 170 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 659 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.6%

• Total voters
Associate
First compatible NVME...

I will likely manage my games for a year or so and wait for inevitable price drops. 1TB should be enough I reckon.

There will be lots of competition too...

Edit: good point by ic1male - not yet confirmed by Sony. PS5 compatibility only noted on WD marketing information.

Last edited:
Soldato
Tiny slither of Back Compat info here:
https://support.playstation.com/s/article/backward-compatibility?language=en_US&lan=

TL;DR
  • You can transfer digital games AND saved data from the PS4 to the PS5 via WIFI data transfer (assume Ethernet aswell)
  • Game boost mode confirmed for SELECT titles
  • There is a list of 10 PS4 games that don't run on PS5. (There are likely other games that might have issues but these are confirmed to not be compatible)
  • There's a vague reference to a "game hub" which I'm guessing will be a section in the main UI
  • For the best experience possible Sony recommends using a DUALSHOCK 4 for playing PS4 games on the PS5
  • The existing PS Official Platinum and Gold headsets will work with PS5
  • HDR is 'always on' - hopefully this means the UI / Home Screen is HDR now and you don't get that annoying switch going from Game -> Home

Caporegime
What the? I wonder why "best experience" means you have to keep a DualShock 4 around. What doesn't the DualSense do that the DS4 does?

And I've got 2 of the 10 that don't work - Shadow Complex and Hitman Go. How bizarre. They must be doing something really weird in the code.

Soldato
Also only select games will run with higher framrates etc. Sounds like Sony have half arsed back compat again.

Wonder how we get the adapter for the VR camera.

This bit is a bit worrying
In addition, some PS4 games may exhibit errors or unexpected behavior when played on PS5 consoles.
Looks like MS with their back compat and extensive improvements for all games is a winner compared to this.

Soldato
Also only select games will run with higher framrates etc. Sounds like Sony have half arsed back compat again.

Looks like MS with their back compat and extensive improvements for all games is a winner compared to this.
The "Select" games is in reference to games that don't have a fixed frame rate and/or resolution. If a game has variable res/ unlocked frame rate then it will run at higher framerate/res, exactly how it works with the series s/x. Don't forget its not "all" games on the series, as no kinect games work, and as I said the restrictions on certain games is the same, both will benefit from improved storage speeds.

Soldato

No it doesn't, Sony are just covering themselves incase of unforseen issues.

Just like when they said 99% of games will work and everybody was panicking that their favourite game wouldn't work. Turns out only about 10 rubbish games that nobody cares about are not compatible

Soldato
No it doesn't, Sony are just covering themselves incase of unforseen issues.

Just like when they said 99% of games will work and everybody was panicking that their favourite game wouldn't work. Turns out only about 10 rubbish games that nobody cares about are not compatible
I mean, when they said 99%, they meant 99%.

as if Sony would make a console that wouldn’t play top tier PS4 games.

Soldato
  • For the best experience possible Sony recommends using a DUALSHOCK 4 for playing PS4 games on the PS5
That's a bit rubbish, if you only have your existing console and one controller and sell it to help fund your PS5, you'll have to buy a controller to be able to play PS4 games properly. Ok it's open to interpretation I guess but if true it's rather crap.

Soldato
That's a bit rubbish, if you only have your existing console and one controller and sell it to help fund your PS5, you'll have to buy a controller to be able to play PS4 games properly. Ok it's open to interpretation I guess but if true it's rather crap.
I’m sure they might be saying that to cover themselves (they can’t test all PS4 games with the ps5 controller maybe ?) essentially the ps5 controller is like a ds4 but with added extras ?

Soldato

If the majority of games work and run at least as well as they did on the PS4, that's not particularly half-arsed. They've never promised or even hinted at anything more, MS have long had the lead here.

Soldato
I still have PT on my PS4, I'm guessing that won't work on PS5 to transfer over? Will be a real shame, I like to load it up when I'm constipated. :p

Yes, I'm sure you'll be able to load up the same playable demo again and again - which really does get tired the 5th time you've played the same thing - then wax lyrical about how "awesome" and amazing it is.

Soldato
Kinda torn on when I’m going to play cp2077... I don’t know if I can hold out for the next gen patch, I might just play the PS4 version on the 5. :/ argh. Hope they come out with a “surprise!” Next gen patch on release day.

edit. I mean, if the boost mode allows for 60fps im just going to play the current version now. I’ve decided.

Soldato

How can they fail when its x86-64 architecture for both platforms, I think the problem here is Microsoft have learnt how to do it earlier, as they had backward compat down to 360 several years ago, and also to original xbox as well, whilst Sony seem t have always preferred released remasters instead, and maybe are having to learn it now creating this problem. I think if all ps4 games dont natively run on the ps5, there is something flawed going on.

Back
Top Bottom