Google Pixel 5

IC3

IC3

Soldato
I'm going to wait for some reviews, hopefully MBKHD will have something out by Black Friday. The headphone deal not being clear and knowing my luck, I will most likely not receive them and 599£ is a bit steep.

Soldato
The A13 Chip appears to score around 1330 on single core and 2800-3400 on multi-core for comparison.

Figures doing the rounds for the A14 are 1650 single core and 4600 multi core. While I'm sure the Pixel 5 is great for day to day tasks, a 300% difference between that and the new iPhone 12 isn't exactly shouting out how great the Pixel hardware is.

I'll admit that the A14 likely has far more power than any phone needs, but this is one of those occasions when the term 'future proofing' is relevant. In 5 years time, the iPhone 12s will be running fine and I imagine the SD 865 will be running just dandy as well. The 765G? Maybe not so much.

Soldato
Headset needs to be claimed after receipt of the phone as far as i know because it required IMEI details for the device.

Associate
Well, I'm ashamed to say that for the third time, I've cancelled my pre order haha. I'm just gonna hold off till the reviews and see if any of the big phones coming out shortly are worth an upgrade.

Soldato
I won't be cancelling, at least not before the Apple / OnePlus events next week.

Think I'll probably stick with it as an iPhone I'd want will be £200 more most likely. If the 12 is £700 then I may well be tempted but I suspect it may not get the fancy features like 90/120Hz and a smaller/no notch.

Associate
What case and screen protectors have you guys went for?

Stuck my pre-order in from CPW this evening after the microphone on my 3a decided to die last night. I bought the 3a from Argos earlier this year, but since they don't put the IMEI number on your receipt Google couldnt process the repair as normal. Popped into my local Argos and after a little persuasion I returned it and got a full refund :)

Soldato
I ordered a Mous but showing 25th Nov as the shipping date. They're supposed to be brilliant so will stick with it, but in the mean time I'll order a cheap Spigen one or something. Don't bother with screen protectors these days, never had an issue with my Pixel 2 as the case always saved it.

Associate
What case and screen protectors have you guys went for?

Stuck my pre-order in from CPW this evening after the microphone on my 3a decided to die last night. I bought the 3a from Argos earlier this year, but since they don't put the IMEI number on your receipt Google couldnt process the repair as normal. Popped into my local Argos and after a little persuasion I returned it and got a full refund :)

That's a result. Doesn't Google offer 2 years warranty though?

Associate
That's a result. Doesn't Google offer 2 years warranty though?

Yep, they do, but since I couldn't provide proof of purchase with my name and the IMEI number it wasn't as simple as it should have been.
Argos are stupid and leaving themselves massively open to abuse by not including the device IMEI number on any receipt they give you. There's no way they could have known if the device I returned was the one they sold me. They seemed oblivious even when I was pointing this out to them.

Associate
Yep, they do, but since I couldn't provide proof of purchase with my name and the IMEI number it wasn't as simple as it should have been.
Argos are stupid and leaving themselves massively open to abuse by not including the device IMEI number on any receipt they give you. There's no way they could have known if the device I returned was the one they sold me. They seemed oblivious even when I was pointing this out to them.

I thought that the very fact it's a Google device, they would replace it as it's in warranty.

Soldato
Figures doing the rounds for the A14 are 1650 single core and 4600 multi core. While I'm sure the Pixel 5 is great for day to day tasks, a 300% difference between that and the new iPhone 12 isn't exactly shouting out how great the Pixel hardware is.

I'll admit that the A14 likely has far more power than any phone needs, but this is one of those occasions when the term 'future proofing' is relevant. In 5 years time, the iPhone 12s will be running fine and I imagine the SD 865 will be running just dandy as well. The 765G? Maybe not so much.

yeah but you know having an iphone is like having a work computer... they don't let you be the administrator.

Soldato
yeah but you know having an iphone is like having a work computer... they don't let you be the administrator.

In spite of my chuntering, I think the Pixel 5 is a really solid device. If they’d given it an SD 865 and a zoom lens (plus a 120hz screen but 90hz is good), they’d have a decent competitor not just to the iPhone 12 but to the iPhone 12 Pro (and could have charged £899) It’s just a shame google weren’t brave enough to take the extra step. Still, the pixel 5 is a huge step over the pixel 4 IMO because they got more of the basics right.

Soldato
In spite of my chuntering, I think the Pixel 5 is a really solid device. If they’d given it an SD 865 and a zoom lens (plus a 120hz screen but 90hz is good), they’d have a decent competitor not just to the iPhone 12 but to the iPhone 12 Pro (and could have charged £899) It’s just a shame google weren’t brave enough to take the extra step. Still, the pixel 5 is a huge step over the pixel 4 IMO because they got more of the basics right.

I don't think they are trying to compete that's probably the angle. Price if at a point with the features people need.

At the end of the day you won't get many invested users in either eco system swapping. It would cost a fortune as both google and apple have many products and to have a mixture of both is ball ache

Back
Top Bottom