Quest 2 Facebook leak - XR2 chipset, 6gb RAM, "almost 4k display"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
OP
Bit off topic but to obtain a very capable 4k PCVR system with all the new components coming out:
  • 5900X + new X570 mobo (£740)
  • PCI gen4 M2 SSD (£170)
  • 32Gb 3600 ram upgrade (£220)
  • Nvidia 3080 or AMD 6000 series GPU (£700)
Man that's over £1800 :(

That's only if you want to get absolute top performance. You could build a machine cheaper than that and get accepable VR peformance.

But then you can buy a Quest 2 for £300 and play a large library of VR games with acceptable quality.

Associate
Talking about performance, I want to upgrade to the 3080 at some point (when they're finally available!) but is my old i7-4790k going to hold it back too much?
Am I looking at a system wide upgrade or could I get away with just the 3080 for the time being?

Permabanned
Talking about performance, I want to upgrade to the 3080 at some point (when they're finally available!) but is my old i7-4790k going to hold it back too much?
Am I looking at a system wide upgrade or could I get away with just the 3080 for the time being?

Will bottleneck some things, debatable if you would notice much in the grand scheme of things.

Permabanned
Bit off topic but to obtain a very capable 4k PCVR system with all the new components coming out:
  • 5900X + new X570 mobo (£740)
  • PCI gen4 M2 SSD (£170)
  • 32Gb 3600 ram upgrade (£220)
  • Nvidia 3080 or AMD 6000 series GPU (£700)
Man that's over £1800 :(

Going to give it a go on the PC's we have for now. Both are mid to low range these days in the "enthusiast" space I guess.

Son has a 2600 and 1070ti, I have a 2700X and a 1080.

Its all the other bits mentioned above that increase the cost. However it does seem a decent entry price for our first VR foray. :)

Soldato
OP

I noticed a big difference in consistency in framerates when I upgraded from a 4790K to a 3900X. Not necessarily hugely faster framerates (though there was an increase), but the frame timings and 1% lows were much better with a newer processor using the same graphics card - a 1080Ti FTW3.

I imagine a 3080 would be bottlenecked somewhat by a 4790k, but VR is more GPU dependent than CPU dependent.

If only I could actually buy a 3080. I've given up for now.

Soldato
On the strap, a lot of the secondary reviewers (smaller channels etc) didn't get an elite strap, but have said the one it comes with is more comfortable than the original (probably due to it being lighter and shorter), and that it's not that bad. Certainly doesn't sound like you have to rush out to get the elite strap.

Soldato
By default, I assume. Headset is showing 14th estimate. Another assumption that they're sending the battery strap separately, since they haven't charged me for it yet.

Mine isn't they are delivering everything at the same time. Going to have to contact them Monday and see will they change it.

I can do without the Elite Strap for the moment, especially if it keeps getting pushed further and further back!!

Soldato

Are you buying a new VR headset? And what resolution do you game in pancake mode?

Soldato
Amazon got me all excited for nothing, thought it had been dispatched....

We have good news! One of your pre-ordered items is now eligible for release date delivery and has been upgraded at no additional charge. Your new delivery estimate is: October 13th

...no additional charge, should bloody hope so, prime member and all.

Soldato
For a newbie entering VR what games would you recommend off the bat?

The first two games I'd install on getting a Quest are Rec Room and Echo VR as they're both free!

In terms of Quest native paid games my current favourites are Beat Saber, Superhot, Pistol Whip, Ultra Wings and Star Trek: Bridge Crew.

On PC Star Wars Squadrons is definitely a must buy. I haven't had a chance to try out much on PC though as I need a better GPU! Might grab one later this year after my Quest 2 arrives.

Soldato
Got my Quest 2 arriving hopefully on tuesday from the rainforest, it's actually my third VR headset from Oculus; but not used anything more recent than the DK2 so excited to see how much things have improved. Fingers crossed my 5700xt is up to the challenge.

Soldato
Got my Quest 2 arriving hopefully on tuesday from the rainforest, it's actually my third VR headset from Oculus; but not used anything more recent than the DK2 so excited to see how much things have improved. Fingers crossed my 5700xt is up to the challenge.

It's going to be a significant jump from the DK2 :D

Soldato
It's going to be a significant jump from the DK2 :D
More like a blast into orbit!

looking forward to it, I skipped the CV1 as it didn't look like a big enough upgrade over the DK2 (hand tracking aside) and VR is a novelty to me, but 299 for this bump in resolution seems good. looking forward to playing Alyx, but I suspect my GPU wont be to happy with it :D

Associate
Will bottleneck some things, debatable if you would notice much in the grand scheme of things.
I noticed a big difference in consistency in framerates when I upgraded from a 4790K to a 3900X. Not necessarily hugely faster framerates (though there was an increase), but the frame timings and 1% lows were much better with a newer processor using the same graphics card - a 1080Ti FTW3.

I imagine a 3080 would be bottlenecked somewhat by a 4790k, but VR is more GPU dependent than CPU dependent.

If only I could actually buy a 3080. I've given up for now.

Thanks guys. I'm going to get a 3080 as soon as I can get my hands on one and then upgrade the rest of the system at a later time. I'm sure I'll see the benefit in the interim even if I'm not using the 3080 to its full potential.

Associate
Are you buying a new VR headset? And what resolution do you game in pancake mode?

Hey Melmac, hope you're well mate!

Yeah getting the Quest 2 with the elite strap, pre-ordered it on day 1 and should be getting both on the 14th.

I game at 1440p in pancake mode.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom