Weird USB issue (MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX)

Soldato
Hi Lustral, did you get anywhere with this?

I have been having a weird issue with my Jabra Bluetooth headset and via lots of troubleshooting am beginning to think it's something to do with the USB interface on my PC (MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC)
(I use a Jabra Link 380 USB dongle)

Latest BIOS, drivers, etc.

Haven't noticed any other USB issue but use very few USB devices.

Interested to learn how you got on?

Cheers!

Associate
OP
Hi Lustral, did you get anywhere with this?

I have been having a weird issue with my Jabra Bluetooth headset and via lots of troubleshooting am beginning to think it's something to do with the USB interface on my PC (MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC)
(I use a Jabra Link 380 USB dongle)

Latest BIOS, drivers, etc.

Haven't noticed any other USB issue but use very few USB devices.

Interested to learn how you got on?

Cheers!

Sorry just only saw this response.

The MSI rep didnt get back to me and i havent really progressed it. Im just gonna get another motherboard and not touching MSI stuff again.

I recently formatted my computer along with updating the board to the latest BIOS and installing the latest chipset drivers etc etc. But same issues again with only certain external hard drive enclosures etc etc.

Other USB devices , such as USB Flash sticks , USB NVME / M.Sata Enclosures are fine. I give up on this board.

Soldato
Sorry just only saw this response.

The MSI rep didnt get back to me and i havent really progressed it. Im just gonna get another motherboard and not touching MSI stuff again.

I recently formatted my computer along with updating the board to the latest BIOS and installing the latest chipset drivers etc etc. But same issues again with only certain external hard drive enclosures etc etc.

Other USB devices , such as USB Flash sticks , USB NVME / M.Sata Enclosures are fine. I give up on this board.
Thanks for the update. I've also tried the same clean install/latest driver routine with no impact.

I have a USB PCIe card coming next week so will let you know if that's any improvement for my issue.

Worth noting mine could be some issue or weird incompatibility with the Jabra dongle.

Soldato
The USB PCI card has sorted the issue for me, have the Jabra dongle connected to this instead of motherboard USBs and it's working fine.
I bought a card with internal 18/19-pin header so have hooked up my front USBs to the PCIe card.

Associate
In the nicest possible way I’m so happy to see others having the same issues as me, searches on the net and not finding anything similar made me think I was going mad!

The issue can be laid firmly at the door of MSI.

I purchased the X570 Content Creation when it came out and ignored the one tech site review that said strangely the EC-NVME Sabrent enclosure kept failing when plugged into this Motherboard – they put it down to immature drivers. In September 2019 I purchased my drive enclosure (the Sabrent) and sure enough it either wouldn’t show up when plugged in or it would register then fail or you’d see it but AS SSD type tests would either see it stall and freeze the PC or provide ridiculously low transfer rates (10MBps).

Anyhow, I gave up and resided myself to a waste of money…flash drives etc worked so I thought clearly not the Motherboard. Fast forward to this week. I now have three NVME enclosures with a range of NVME sticks inside. Plugged them in and all gave wildly different results in any disk testing software, the Sabrent (with a Sabrent NVME inside) still stalled and locked up the PC or ran at 10MBps, others provided some data transfer but not in line with USB 3.1 (Gen 2) speeds. Didn’t matter whether I used the front panel plugged into the motherboard or directly in the back. Sometimes one of the drives would give near max transfer rates then 30 mins later it wouldn’t be recognised. Pulling my hair our (or I would if I had any left!)

Then I suddenly remembered that I now had a 2080TI that I didn’t have when I first got the motherboard the year earlier and it has a USB-C port running outside of the motherboard control and using Nvidia drivers. All my drives whizz along at 3.1 (Gen 2) speed, all recognised instantly!! So effectively replicating Tesla’s result who used a separate PCIE card.

Back in 2018 there was concerns (on an X470 board) that the traces MSI use to go from controller to port were longer than other Mobo manufactures. There was a thought that this reduces either signal strength or power by a very small margin but enough (when dealing with single digit millivolts) to give the sort of flaky issues we have suffered when using NVME type enclosures and not using external power supplies. That would explain why flash disks/keyboards/mouses etc are all OK – they require very little signal/power to operate and different enclosures require different power/signal levels which is why mine produced different results but all far lower than expected. Whether this is true of all MSI boards or just some where there are minuscule differences in power of signal delivery we’ll never know (MSI will but of course they’ll never say).

I certain I can now purchase a PCIE card to plug into my front panel and get my transfer rates back.

Soldato
Good news @X99Gary !

My Jabra headset has been running via my £10 PCIe USB card for a few weeks now with no issues whatsoever.

Are MSI still active on these forums? Can someone direct them to this thread for comment?

Back
Top Bottom