• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 5600x vs 3700x

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
But it might not. 8 Zen2 cores vs 6 Zen3 cores isn't going to be anywhere near as clear-cut as 8 Jaguar cores (low power laptop jobbies) vs 6 Zen1/2 cores.

There may be times when your 6 Zen3 cores give a worse experience than 8 Zen2 cores.

Especially given the amount of CPU cycles Windows 10 will gobble up. Which is a lot :p

Or game streaming if you're one of those guys.

6 zen 2 cores (3600) matches 8 zen cores in the 2700x - I upgraded the wifes machine from 2700x to 3600 and the 3600 beats the 2700x in gaming pretty much across the board and basically matches it in production. I think 6 zen 3 cores is plenty for the next few years at the very least.

Soldato
Nothing wrong with 6 cores. I've been gaming for 2 years on a 2600x and it's been great. Window 10 also perfectly zippy and fast. And I'll be moving to the 5600x. People shouldn't really comment unless you've owned both (i.e. 6 Cores, then moved to 8 Cores). Some real drivel being spouted around on threads at the moment. And if the 5600x lasts as long as my 2600x (2-3 years) even better.

Soldato
I would stick my neck out and say that an overclocked 10600k will still be faster than a 5600X since the 300mhz higher boosting 5950X was only 5% ahead of a stock 10900k in most games although I'd probably still go for a 3700X as its extra cores may prove useful in the upcoming games, it's also cheaper and comes with a better cooler.

Caporegime
Nothing wrong with 6 cores. I've been gaming for 2 years on a 2600x and it's been great. Window 10 also perfectly zippy and fast. And I'll be moving to the 5600x. People shouldn't really comment unless you've owned both (i.e. 6 Cores, then moved to 8 Cores). Some real drivel being spouted around on threads at the moment. And if the 5600x lasts as long as my 2600x (2-3 years) even better.
How does your 6 core perform in next-gen games targeting PS5 and XSX?

Would be very interested to hear all about it. Plus detailed schematics for your time machine.

Associate

Would be very interested to hear all about it. Plus detailed schematics for your time machine.

Which games for the PS5 and XSX can be bought now ? Oh yeah .. there aren't any yet.

Caporegime
Which games for the PS5 and XSX can be bought now ? Oh yeah .. there aren't any yet.
Precisely. So nobody can say a 6-core running Widows 10 and all the other crap that they have in the background will be plenty in the next 12-24 months.

Which is what people *are* saying. "A 6-core is all you need." "A 6-core is more than enough for gaming." Etc.

Soldato

Eh what you smoking? It's been fine for 2 years and I can't suddenly see why you think it's some how going to just hit a cliff performance wise, and be unusable. Looking at Cyberpunk specs which is probably the next "big" game to come out I have no reason to worry. You're an idiot who is talking complete nonsense. To come out and say a 5600X is not going to cut it... so where is your time machine and evidence for that unsubstantiated claim.

And ignore!

Caporegime
Eh what you smoking? It's been fine for 2 years and I can't suddenly see why you think it's some how going to just hit a cliff performance wise, and be unusable. Looking at Cyberpunk specs which is probably the next "big" game to come out I have no reason to worry. You're an idiot who is talking complete nonsense. To come out and say a 5600X is not going to cut it... so where is your time machine and evidence for that unsubstantiated claim.

And ignore!
So we're just going to ignore the next-gen consoles raising the performance of the lead platforms for future games.. Raising the baseline.

Yup, we'll just ignore that completely.

"A 6-core was always fine in the past therefore it must be fine in the future."

Did you say the same about quad cores? Dual cores? How did that work out for you?

Associate
We're not going to get any next gen console games for a long while yet. So saving and waiting would be my argument.

OP, you can wait again for the next Zen 3s that are lightly to be released, when, no idea. Waiting will also give reduction in price. But i personally doubt the Zen 2 and Zen+ stuff will come down much at all after the recent lockdown demand. Impossible to tell when you get your 3070, so best to decide then imo.

Also have look into benchmarks if you're gaming at 2k+. May help decide what you want.

Associate
Things are going to change from now on,with new consoles (which have same PC architecture) now having 8 cores,chances are new games will start to require 8 cores.

Soldato
Things are going to change from now on,with new consoles (which have same PC architecture) now having 8 cores,chances are new games will start to require 8 cores.

Consoles don't even use (deliberate design) all 8 cores for gaming.

Associate
Consoles don't even use (deliberate design) all 8 cores for gaming.
Well there is a reason they put 8 cores in them.
console hardware is all about cost saving,they wouldn’t just put 8 cores cpu in them if they were not needed.

Back
Top Bottom