The Watch (BBC's Discworld Series)

Commissario
I had been holding out some vague hope, but whilst that has the words, sometimes even lines I can recognise, pretty much everything else has changed :(

Unless they're going to mix in Soul Music with the Watch it's really looking odd.

I'll still give it a go when it comes out, but it doesn't appear to be anything like the discworld.

Man of Honour
Uh...

If you pretend really hard it has nothing to do with Pratchett it might be kind of fun though I'm on the fence on that.

Soldato
... they seem to be screwing about with everything that they possibly can though, why is Vetinari now a woman? Same goes for Dibbler and why mess with the medieval setting? This could have been hugely successful as Pratchett still has a massive following, yet all this is going to do is annoy the fan base. I noticed that Neil Gaiman was also pretty scathing about it - I guess we'll see come January.

Associate
If they wanted to portray female characters, why not concentrate on the witches of Lancre novels, my absolute favourite of the Discworld novels. They just know better than us attitude of the BBC I suppose, what a shame.

Soldato
As a massive fan of Pratchetts work, when I heard of what they were planning I was very disappointed but wanted to see what actually happened.
Verging on angry now.

Rumour control is that the Pratchett estate lost creative control to the BBC following Terry's passing and some legal stuff. Rhianna is being very diplomatic with her words.

If its about consolation, they have maintained it for all other productions and they won't let it happen again.

Associate
Absolutely awful, I had hopes for this after Good Omens but this looks like trash.

Why is Vimes pretending to be Jack Sparrow?

Soldato
I had high hopes for this as the books about the Watch are some of my favourites but that looks bad. It isn't the Vimes I would picture in my head but if they're collating all the Watch stories together, I suppose it could be alcoholic Vimes pre Sybil. Though off the top of my head, I'm struggling to remember the chronology of when Carrot, Angua, Cheri et al join the Watch in relation to Sam meeting Sybil in Guards Guards. I'd agree about why is Vetinari a woman?! It isn't like the whole Discworld series is short of female characters. But sticking to the Watch, the focus will (should?) be on Vimes but surely Angua and Sybil are going to feature strongly.

Still, I'll probably watch the first episode to get a better idea of what it's about as trailers aren't always the best thing to go off of and I don't want to judge a book by it's cover (I'll see myself out).

Man of Honour
Some people tell me that I am wrong in my past musings that I do not like it when tv/movies do not accurately portray the literary source that they come from.

I think this trailer quite clearly evidences why I am 100% correct in that belief.

Shocking.

Soldato
I think this trailer quite clearly evidences why I am 100% correct in that belief.

It proves you don't like when tv/movies do not accurately portray the literary source that they come from? Okay. Did you need to prove this? Were you not sure?

What it doesn't yet prove, is if they can be any good when they veer from the original, because we can't know this until it's been watched :)

Caporegime
The sacking of Rhianna and the fact they didn't even mention Sir Terry in the list of thanks for this should tell you everything you need to know. I hope this abomination flops, thankfully there are other Discworld works in development apparently.

Soldato
Did anyone actually expect something decent from the BBC? The BBC are **** and simply can not do sci-fi/fantasy, just look at how they completely ****** up and ruined The War of the Worlds with their half-arsed, cheapskate attempt. Compare the production quality of the absolute **** that BBC produces to things like The Expanse, Raised by Wolves, The Boys, Lovecraft Country etc. etc.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It proves you don't like when tv/movies do not accurately portray the literary source that they come from? Okay. Did you need to prove this? Were you not sure?

I guess I just sometimes feel the need to defend my opinions when someone says that I'm wrong for criticising something for not accurately portraying its source (though maybe its wrong of me to feel the need to defend my thoughts of course)

Back
Top Bottom