Sudden appearance of ads on OCUK site ??? **UPDATE: There will be no adverts**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I think I'd even be willing to pay a nominal fee to keep it ad free. I may not post a great deal, but I come on every day and browse.
^^ This for me as well. I am more a lurker then a poster, but when I have asked questions/advice it always.. well, mostly been all sound help I been given. Although I have not seen any ads, I do have uBlock Origin but I turned it off earlier today but still couldn't see any ads so quiet not sure as to why that happened. In any case, would love if it did stay ad free anyway, the forum is to good to be spoiled by random ads ! At least in my humble opinion. :p

V F

V F

Soldato
And why would you do that, broseph? I'm sure multi million pound OcUK can cope with you not whitelisting them.

Well, some forums like AVForums.com and avsforum.com has their site built the last time I was there, that if you block ads on their site/forums, it then blocks you access to parts of the forums.

I don’t know what the fee would be, but for example I’d be happy to pay about £20 a year to keep it as it is.

Dont say you'll be happy to pay a fee, the people who thought the ads were a good idea will see it! :p

That was what happened to neowin.net. Tiered subscriptions. Only tier 2 and 3 got rid of the ads even though people on basic tier 1 who were paying the yearly fee? I believe still got ads.

Even autosport went the same way at one point. You were limited to 10 page views before it asked you to pay. It reset monthly. That was many years ago. No idea what stuff they changed with their forums but there was a lot of ruckus.

Last edited:
Permabanned
That was what happened to neowin.net. Tiered subscriptions. Only tier 2 and 3 got rid of the ads even though people on basic tier 1 who were paying the yearly fee? I believe still got ads.

Even autosport went the same way at one point. You were limited to 10 page views before it asked you to pay. It reset monthly. That was many years ago. No idea what stuff they changed with their forums but there was a lot of ruckus.

If this is how it goes.....

/I’m outta here.

Soldato
My internet home is absolutely how I see this place.

Unobtrusive ads at the top of the page probably wouldn’t change the way I browse (my brain’s inbuilt ad blocker causes me to ignore adverts quite effectively online).

A subscription model would dramatically change the dynamic and I would be very against that. I would not have joined the site almost 20 years ago if there had been a paywall and I would not want to discourage anyone from joining in the same way in the future.

Keeping my fingers crossed for the status quo to be maintained.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
As I can see you've noticed, the ads are gone for now.

I know that many of you - if you're anything like me - have come to know this place as your "internet home" over the years. It pains me to see this, as well as read posts quite rightfully displaying disappointment as to what might be becoming of the forum you know and love. I want to assure you that those feelings are not going unheard. This community is something special - far more than ad revenue fodder - and I will personally do all I can to ensure that this place continues to hold true to the things that have made it special all these years.
Well said. :)

Soldato
The main purpose of the forums is to support the interests of its members initially in the procurement, setting up and use of computer hardware. This has led to associated software and then all topics and interests, hobbies etc.
Like many, I am a daily visitor although I do not buy much hardware nowadays. It would leave a hole in my retirement schedule :) not to log in.

Keep up the good (unsupported by ads) work. Except for your own banner header of course.

Soldato
Just install an adblocker,

It's 2020 you should all be using one by default at this point. No idea how anyone (especially tech guys) survives not using one. Websites are just filled with ads these days.

Caporegime
Just install an adblocker,

It's 2020 you should all be using one by default at this point. No idea how anyone (especially tech guys) survives not using one. Websites are just filled with ads these days.

What’s a good adblocker for iPhone and Android?

I use ublock origin on my PCs, but on my phone, outside of the basic built-into Opera adblocking (which is pretty cack), I’m at the mercy of adwords when using 4G.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
What’s a good adblocker for iPhone and Android?

I use ublock origin on my PCs, but on my phone, outside of the basic built-into Opera adblocking (which is pretty cack), I’m at the mercy of adwords when using 4G.

For Android the private DNS route is probably the simplest, can toggle it on and off as needed. I have to disable it to use our work network for example.

Settings - > Wifi & Internet - > Private DNS

Select "Private DNS provider hostname" and type

dns.adguard.com

Then go to chrome://flags and search async and disable it.

Or

https://adguard.com/en/adguard-dns/overview.html

Caporegime
Yup run pinhole and remain vpnd to home whilst off my WiFi. So not affected.

Pretty unimpressed that a forum run by the company has ads?

It doesn't anymore.

Anyway there always used to be ads in the top right, but they were for products and deals on the OcUK website, that I'm OK with haha. It was also a teeny tiny banner and it had OcUK branding so it didn't stand out and wasn't jarring.

Soldato
It doesn't anymore.

Anyway there always used to be ads in the top right, but they were for products and deals on the OcUK website, that I'm OK with haha. It was also a teeny tiny banner and it had OcUK branding so it didn't stand out and wasn't jarring.
I'm not seeing any? You updated the database on pihole?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom