Quest 2, Which WiFi6 Router?

Soldato
I have the Honor router 3 in the cave, but no Quest 2... generally speaking the Honor seems fine, haven't had any issues getting it set up and it seems like good bang for the buck so far.

Soldato
Yeah it's set up as an access point which is just a drop down menu option... basically the modem/main router are in the house and an ethernet cable runs to the man cave, goes into the Honor and then acts as a wireless access point and switch, man cave pc is plugged into it with wifi.

Interface is pretty simple but functional, haven't had any issues with it so far and the network has been reliable but I haven't really asked much of it.

Soldato
OP
Yeah it's set up as an access point which is just a drop down menu option... basically the modem/main router are in the house and an ethernet cable runs to the man cave, goes into the Honor and then acts as a wireless access point and switch, man cave pc is plugged into it with wifi.

Interface is pretty simple but functional, haven't had any issues with it so far and the network has been reliable but I haven't really asked much of it.

Cheers that's good to know... Hopefully it'll connect to a Quest 2 with WiFi 6 speed.

Associate
I'm both annoyed and happy

annoyed that literally 3 months ago I bought 3 wifi APs thinking I won't need wifi6 just yet

and now I just bought a quest 2.

Soldato
I'm both annoyed and happy

annoyed that literally 3 months ago I bought 3 wifi APs thinking I won't need wifi6 just yet

and now I just bought a quest 2.

You most likely won't. Reviewers are showing that 5ghz (not wifi6) is doing just fine. The main advantage 6 has is when there are multiple devices using it, it can better manage them all. If you can limit the 5ghz band to just your quest, you're laughing (I suspect a phone just logged onto the network, but not doing much, probably won't have much effect either, but don't know).

Associate
Im intrigued by using the quest wirelessly via the virtual desktop. (still want good quality but would like to do without the cable).
I just tested my virgin media router - (granted its 8am and no ones clogging the bandwidth atm). But using speedtest I Got 15ms 274down 36 up.
Will this be good enough to run the quest 2? ...

I bought a cable but it hasnt shipped yet and thinking about cancelling.

Associate
I'll be using my PC upstairs for VR, which connects to my virgin router downstairs via Wifi (2.4ghz). What's the best way of connecting my Quest 2 wirelessly? I originally thought about getting a Wifi 6 PCIe card for the PC and using that as a hotspot, but then, can I have my PC connected to wifi via one device, and have a hotspot with another device in the same machine?

Or would it be a case of having a Wifi 6 router upstairs that acts as a repeater, and then my PC and Quest 2 just connect to that upstairs router?

Thanks

Soldato
Im intrigued by using the quest wirelessly via the virtual desktop. (still want good quality but would like to do without the cable).
I just tested my virgin media router - (granted its 8am and no ones clogging the bandwidth atm). But using speedtest I Got 15ms 274down 36 up.
Will this be good enough to run the quest 2? ...

I bought a cable but it hasnt shipped yet and thinking about cancelling.

speedtest tests your internet connection, which is irrelevant for Quest streaming, what you need to do is boot everything else off the 5ghz channel and then connect something to it and look at what the TX rate is, it should be something like 866mbps. Throughput isn't really the issue, its latency, as long as you have a 5ghz channel and you can kick everyone else off of this channel then it should be good to go - in my house 5ghz only works well within line of sight of the router, through walls/upstairs most devices work faster on 2.4ghz, so for me changing the password on the 5ghz to make sure I have it to myself is not a hardship.

I'll be using my PC upstairs for VR, which connects to my virgin router downstairs via Wifi (2.4ghz). What's the best way of connecting my Quest 2 wirelessly? I originally thought about getting a Wifi 6 PCIe card for the PC and using that as a hotspot, but then, can I have my PC connected to wifi via one device, and have a hotspot with another device in the same machine?

Or would it be a case of having a Wifi 6 router upstairs that acts as a repeater, and then my PC and Quest 2 just connect to that upstairs router?

Thanks

Read the thread mate, other people have tested wifi hotspots and seems to be a small dedicated router is better, but yes you can connect to multiple networks at the same time, I would keep the new router on its own network, if you start trying to use it as a repeater you may actually cause yourself more problems

Associate
Read the thread mate, other people have tested wifi hotspots and seems to be a small dedicated router is better, but yes you can connect to multiple networks at the same time, I would keep the new router on its own network, if you start trying to use it as a repeater you may actually cause yourself more problems

Thanks. So, am I right in thinking I can have a new router upstairs on its on network, with both my pc and Q2 connected to it, and that router can deliver the internet from the one downstairs wirelessly? (that's what I thought 'repeating' was, but I'm probably confused).

Soldato
Thanks. So, am I right in thinking I can have a new router upstairs on its on network, with both my pc and Q2 connected to it, and that router can deliver the internet from the one downstairs wirelessly? (that's what I thought 'repeating' was, but I'm probably confused).

No, connect the new router to your PC via a cable, connect quest to new router via wireless, don't connect new router to old router, leave PC connected to old router via wireless

Quest doesn't need internet connection when being used with virtual desktop

Associate
Perfect, thank you.

I must say, I'm getting a bit giddy about getting a VR headset after wanting one for so many years. I feel like a kid again waiting for a new console to come out.

Soldato
OP
No, connect the new router to your PC via a cable, connect quest to new router via wireless, don't connect new router to old router, leave PC connected to old router via wireless

Quest doesn't need internet connection when being used with virtual desktop

Hello All,

I'm unsure regarding Networking and have built up the following (when I say unsure, I mean I'm sure there is a better way of Networking the house). The image shows my Home Network all connected via Cat 7 (I know but it was only slightly more than Cat 6 for what I needed).

Further to the original post, I'd like to use the Quest 2 wirelessly in a different room than the Game PC, I did think I'd be able to connect the Honor 3 router directly to the Sky router and use a repeater, but it seems this is a bad idea, as there is only one cable running between the floors what's the best way to connect the Quest 2 wirelessly to the Game PC? The Game PC is in the sig has no inbuilt WiFi, furthermore the low powered PC acting as a server is on 24/7 running Plex to the whole house etc.

Any idea's?

Soldato
Hello All,

I'm unsure regarding Networking and have built up the following (when I say unsure, I mean I'm sure there is a better way of Networking the house). The image shows my Home Network all connected via Cat 7 (I know but it was only slightly more than Cat 6 for what I needed).

Further to the original post, I'd like to use the Quest 2 wirelessly in a different room than the Game PC, I did think I'd be able to connect the Honor 3 router directly to the Sky router and use a repeater, but it seems this is a bad idea, as there is only one cable running between the floors what's the best way to connect the Quest 2 wirelessly to the Game PC? The Game PC is in the sig has no inbuilt WiFi, furthermore the low powered PC acting as a server is on 24/7 running Plex to the whole house etc.

Any idea's?

you'll get the best result plugging the PC directly in to the honor and being as close as physically possible to the honor, however if you want to use it on another floor to your PC then you'll have to try having the honor on that floor and see how/if it affects performance, the further removed the honor and the quest are from the PC the more chance you'll be introducing lag

Back
Top Bottom