Google Pixel 5

Soldato
At the end of the day you won't get many invested users in either eco system swapping.

Apparently a significant number of Android users are this year interested in moving to iOS. This info comes from a phonearena article iirc. I like both Android and iOS for different reasons but Android is losing ground to Apple. Google should be less hands off and should be the standard bearer for their product by producing amazing hardware.

Associate
Regarding the headphones, you can only claim them 14 days after placing your order for the phone. This means the earlier you put your pre-order in, the more likely you'll get a pair.

Having only just ordered my 5 yesterday, I'm hoping that the fact that the qualifying period is open until October 19th means that they have a good amount of sets to give away and I don't miss out. Factoring in the headphones and £25 cashback via Topcashback was how I justified the purchase

Last edited:
Soldato
If they’d given it an SD 865 and a zoom lens (plus a 120hz screen but 90hz is good), they’d have a decent competitor not just to the iPhone 12 but to the iPhone 12 Pro (and could have charged £899) It’s just a shame google weren’t brave enough to take the extra step.

I think I would certainly have been less likely to buy it with those specs at that price. Maybe with the headphones still, I might have. Again, to 95% of the population it's the exact same phone for £300 more too. (Okay, I guess you get the zoom lens, but few people seem to want that tbh)

Google should be less hands off and should be the standard bearer for their product by producing amazing hardware.

They've not been this, ever... and Android has done rather well so far. I don't see the need for them to be this? They have generally just been the people to produce a nice stock experience that developers can rely on, which they seem to be going back to this year, having tried to push higher end hardware the last few years.

Apparently a significant number of Android users are this year interested in moving to iOS.

It doesn't look that way yet - https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/mobile/worldwide

**EDIT** That's actually a really interesting site. You can check North America and Europe, over different time periods and such.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Regarding the headphones, you can only claim them 14 days after placing your order for the phone. This means the earlier you put your pre-order in, the more likely you'll get a pair.

Having only just ordered my 5 yesterday, I'm hoping that the fact that the qualifying period is open until October 19th means that they have a good amount of sets to give away and I dint miss out. Factoring in the headphones and £25 cashback via Topcashback was how I justified the purchase
Where did you order from?

Soldato
Klarna is showing today as the purchase date so assuming that is the case for me too.

I wonder if they'll get them out as close to the Apple event as possible to reduce the number of cancellations...

Soldato
Considering I've seen both Vodafone and Carphone Warehouse both advertise delivery on the 15th I'd like to think we'd get ours direct either on that date or just before it.

Can't see them delivering by the 13th but you never know.

Associate
Something doesn't add up here for me, I ordered my 5 the mornng after the launch direct from Google and my delivery date is showing as 27Oct. But yet Car phone warehouse seems to be showing they have stock for delivery on the 15th, what gives?. I'll have to have another look, but is the 14 day wait from when you placed the order, or received the phone? Wondering which is the best way to go to get the phone quick and get my headphone claim in quick to.

Soldato
Something doesn't add up here for me, I ordered my 5 the mornng after the launch direct from Google and my delivery date is showing as 27Oct. But yet Car phone warehouse seems to be showing they have stock for delivery on the 15th, what gives?. I'll have to have another look, but is the 14 day wait from when you placed the order, or received the phone? Wondering which is the best way to go to get the phone quick and get my headphone claim in quick to.

Different allocations - Google have obviously exceeded their own release day allocation and so have given you a date when they expect the 2nd, 3rd batches to be sent out etc. Carphonewarehouse have some initial release day allocation available by the looks of it.

CPW would get you your imei the quickest to make the claim , 14 days after delivery btw

Soldato
Actually, seems to be from when you ordered. According to Google's own faq...

"Wait 14 days from the order date before submitting your claim."

So yeah, if you preorderd on the 30th then you can claim immediately. ( You need the imei mind, so on delivery you can claim).

-------

Just to further complicate things,in the order email..

". To redeem, follow the steps on the redemption page between 14 to 45 days after delivery. Available while stocks last. Terms apply*."

So god knows, usually it is to stop people claiming and returning under DSR, but with conflicting info it's worth a shot.

Last edited:
Associate
I just don't understand why they didn't just release an all singing and dancing flagship model. I mean they already offer the 4a as a budget model. Apple and Samsung offer a vast model selection - a model for every budget, another model wouldn't have hurt.

I can understand why Android users may move back to iOS - he'll I'd like to move back due to no flagship model but I'm too invested in the Google/nest ecosystem. (Home hubs and minis in every room and nest cams and doorbells).

I'm underwhelmed with all Google products launched in the event - Apple, amazon and Ring feel like they're leaving Google behind.

Back
Top Bottom