Asus TUF VG289 4K monitor

Soldato
As title, the above monitor just pitched up this morning, so when I've got it set up and played around with it I'll post back here with me findings. Its a pure indulgence item due to me finally retiring from work after over 30 years at British Airways as a ground engineer, (I'm also going to be getting an RDNA2 card as well, depending on stock levels, scalpers, availability, etc). now this replacing an MSI Optix MAG27Q, 1440p, 144hz, 1ms response time monitor, so in gaming terms, I'm deffo going to see a fair bit of "slow down" performance wise, but as I only play strategy games and the odd first person shooter, I'm hoping the hit won't be as severe as I think it might be using a 60hz, 5ms screen.

I'll post back my initial findings after its set up hopefully later this evening and if anyone has any questions, I'll do me best to answer them

Soldato
OP
Right, had a bit of time to mess around with the screen and also have a play. First thing, as usual, the brightness is too high, so that was reduced a bit. Secondly, I don't have clue what half the menu options mean so I'll have to look into those later. The colours appear to be fairly accurate out of the box, but its the blacks that really stood out when I first got going with it.
I had a crack at Crysis remastered, and bloody hell it does look nice, BUT, to get around 50fps (but no lower) I had to put the ingame settings to medium and turn off AA but I couldn't breally se any difference when I did..
I had to scale the desktop to 200% to make the icons readable (for me as me eyesight is going west slowly but surely) but theres no distortion at all, very clear and crisp. Games appear to be surprisingly playable but hen scrolling there is a tendency to slightly " jerk" rather than smoothly move over a map though I've only tried COH: opposing fronts so far.
I'll post back when I know a bit more.

Soldato
I've got my 4K LG 27GN950-B at the default 150% scaling. I've got near sight so have to take my distance glasses off when looking at the screen.

Soldato
How are you finding moving from a 144hz display to a 60hz one though, I have a selection of monitors (I have spent far more money than anyone should on monitors over the years, it's kind of my weakness! ..well that and coffee) and I find the most obvious thing to me between different displays for gaming, is actually this difference, 120hz-144hz I don't really notice but 60hz to either 120 or 144hz is very noticeable to me, even on the desktop I can feel this although I can live with on the desktop it really bothers me in games, not Civ or Cities: Skylines so much but pretty much everything else it does. After going backwards and forwards with 1440p, high refresh, 4k 60hz and ultrawide 21:9 3440x1440 60hz, 100hz and now 144hz I've found for me, all in all, 3440x1440 ultrawide 144hz suites me the best for most things, although I have kept a standard 2560x1440p 144hz panel aswell for some things, I am considering selling that though and getting a 60hz 4K panel back as I did like it for photo editing and such but keeping the 144hz ultrawide for most things and gaming especially.

Soldato
OP
How are you finding moving from a 144hz display to a 60hz one though, I have a selection of monitors (I have spent far more money than anyone should on monitors over the years, it's kind of my weakness! ..well that and coffee) and I find the most obvious thing to me between different displays for gaming, is actually this difference, 120hz-144hz I don't really notice but 60hz to either 120 or 144hz is very noticeable to me, even on the desktop I can feel this although I can live with on the desktop it really bothers me in games, not Civ or Cities: Skylines so much but pretty much everything else it does. After going backwards and forwards with 1440p, high refresh, 4k 60hz and ultrawide 21:9 3440x1440 60hz, 100hz and now 144hz I've found for me, all in all, 3440x1440 ultrawide 144hz suites me the best for most things, although I have kept a standard 2560x1440p 144hz panel as well for some things, I am considering selling that though and getting a 60hz 4K panel back as I did like it for photo editing and such but keeping the 144hz ultrawide for most things and gaming especially.

Well funnily enough I'm finding the more I use it, the more I'm getting used to the "slight roughness" (best description I can think of) of the on screen image when I scroll around a map 'frinstance. Its not a problem, just not quite as smooth, and it also depends on the image source, game, download, first person shooter, etc. I mean I was knocking about on COD modern warfare remastered this afternoon and I found everything was a choppy, but turning down the mouse movement sensitivity cured a lot of it. I'm convinced that its freesync doing it's thing and making everything a lot smoother than it would otherwise be. The only other thing I've noticed is a sudden drop in framerates every now and again but I put this down to the RX5700XT having a problem keeping up. The big thing for me is the image quality though, Homeworld remastered, deserts of Kharak, and even good old COH: opposing fronts look gorgeous but I really do need a decent 4K gpu to go with this monitor.

Soldato
OP
I've got my 4K LG 27GN950-B at the default 150% scaling. I've got near sight so have to take my distance glasses off when looking at the screen.

Ha...I'm running at 200% desktop scaling meself, my eyes have not aged well over the years. Saying that, I could happily set the scaling to 150% and I could easily cope with that, but I do prefer bigger desktop Icons than most people I reckon.

Soldato
The scaling works a lot better than I thought it would. Once I changed to a 4K desktop from a 2560x1600 monitor first thing I noticed were that the fonts were different and it took me awhile to get used to it, but now it’s fine.

Back
Top Bottom