• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I would be very surprised if CP77 used more than 10GB VRAM at 4k. Maybe in future if it gets a dedicated modding scene and they ramp up the texture quality and resolutions like with Witcher 3, Skyrim and FO4.

Plus these even these new cards most likely won't hold 4k@60fps flawlessly, so using DLSS will lower the vRAM usage.

Soldato
I already wrote why and am not going to repeat myself, please go back and read the posts.
You can have a logical debate about it based on the leaked specifications which so far is the most accurate info we have. a GPU with the specificaitons that the 6800XT purportedly has is not going to be challenging a 3080. Newegg leaked:

Model / Stream processors / Base frequency (MHz) / VRAM type / Standard memory configuration / Memory bandwidth (GB / s) / Bus size / DP (W)

• Radeon RX 6700 XT - 2560 / 1500 / GDDR6 6GB / 384 192-bit / 150
  • Radeon RX 6800 XT - 3840 / 1500 / GDDR6 12GB / 384 192-bit / 200
  • Radeon RX 6900 XT - 5120 / 1500 / GDDR6 16GB / 512 256-bit / 300

If you think that the 6800XT will be challenging the 3080 then you need to inject yourself with a healthy dose of realism.

That? That's all you have? Ok. I think we're done here.

Associate
Looks like this will be halfway between 3070 and 3080, which for AMD is a milestone, they were never going to be on par with Nvidia in my opinion. remember the figures in the presentation are on a new unreleased cpu which by AMD's own admission adds significant performance to games.

Yeap. Its a Nvidia killer for sure.
2-series killer, sadly the game has move on in last 2 years.

As i have said before, the performance is more than enough for 99.9% of people out there.

Availability stock and release dates are the key now. For me and many others.
Esp if this thing hard launches on 10 DEC.

Caporegime
He is referring to this i believe https://uk.pcmag.com/graphics-cards...rtedly-serves-up-amd-radeon-rx-6000-gpu-specs
Again though i still don't see how he knows which model AMD gave us a sneak peak at

Yes, and the highest specs in the leaked cards line up with the performance you would expect from a 3080-class GPU. The 6800XT specs line up with a 3070-class.

I don't see what is complicated about this logic, and that is, in lieu of any other credible information, is I am basing my assumptions on. Do some of you guys actually think that the specs of that 6800XT (3,840 SPs, 384 GBps memory bandwidth) would rival a 3080? If so, then that is some significant level of wild optimism there. Only the 6900XT reported specs look like they can threaten the 3080 and that was the highest card in the leaked spec list.

We will see whether I am right or wrong on 28th October and then I am more than happy to revisit these posts.

Caporegime
OP
Man!!! Some of you guys need to meet up and get drunk and realise we all like PC gaming regardless of what GPU we have. I am almost 50 years old (and feel it) and love the banter but petty digging is childish. Surely we all want a good competitive market? NVidia are great cards, AMD are great cards. I personally would love to see the top AMD card beating the 3090 and doing so in RT. If it costs as much as the 3090, so be it but at least competition is back.

Soldato
He is referring to this i believe https://uk.pcmag.com/graphics-cards...rtedly-serves-up-amd-radeon-rx-6000-gpu-specs
Again though i still don't see how he knows which model AMD gave us a sneak peak at

I know that's what he's referring to; there's a missing link though - how one gets from those specs to the GPU shown by AMD being the 6900XT. I mean, it's gonna be one of those 3 cards, and the likelihood of it being the 6700 is virtually nil.. so they previewed either the 6800XT or the 6900XT. That's literally as far as you can go without injecting some large quantities of bias while pretending to know for sure and acting all high and mighty about it *shrug*

Personally, I can see it being one of two scenarios - and yes, this is inserting some of my bias. I'm not gonna pretend to know for certain on anything.

1) The card shown was the 6900XT and AMD can just about manage to compete with the 3080 -- sort of a win for AMD as it shows they're at least still relevant in the top end, but it's not really a "win"
2) The card shown was the 6800XT and the framerate numbers were slightly inflated and the 6800XT is not quite as close to the 3080 as we're led to believe. This leaves the 6900XT, which on paper looks to be significantly faster than the 6800XT, to sit above the 3080 and possibly trade with the 3090.

The third, which I can't really see happening is that it was the 6800XT and the numbers weren't inflated - that'd leave the 6900XT to blow away the 3090.... I mean... it's possible but I can't really think it likely.

Edit: This estimation of positioning obviously excludes RT. I've not seen enough information to remotely accurately assess what effect turning on RT will do to 6000 series framerates. The only thing I'm fairly confident on is that AMD will take a bigger hit from RT than nVidia.

Last edited:
Associate
I know that's what he's referring to; there's a missing link though - how one gets from those specs to the GPU shown by AMD being the 6900XT. I mean, it's gonna be one of those 3 cards, and the likelihood of it being the 6700 is virtually nil.. so they previewed either the 6800XT or the 6900XT. That's literally as far as you can go without injecting some large quantities of bias while pretending to know for sure and acting all high and mighty about it *shrug*

Personally, I can see it being one of two scenarios - and yes, this is inserting some of my bias. I'm not gonna pretend to know for certain on anything.

1) The card shown was the 6900XT and AMD can just about manage to compete with the 3080 -- sort of a win for AMD as it shows they're at least still relevant in the top end, but it's not really a "win"
2) The card shown was the 6800XT and the framerate numbers were slightly inflated and the 6800XT is not quite as close to the 3080 as we're led to believe. This leaves the 6900XT, which on paper looks to be significantly faster than the 6800XT, to sit above the 3080 and possibly trade with the 3090.

The third, which I can't really see happening is that it was the 6800XT and the numbers weren't inflated - that'd leave the 6900XT to blow away the 3090.... I mean... it's possible but I can't really think it likely.

Edit: This estimation of positioning obviously excludes RT. I've not seen enough information to accurately assess what effect turning on RT will do to 6000 series framerates.

agreed Howling.:D

now lets put some percentages on those scenarios.

1) 90%
2) 9%
3) 1%

The scale is now clearly on show.

Man of Honour

The lower and mid specs realistically wouldn't physically give up the performance uplift over the 5700XT we've seen - realistically you are looking at a minimum of a 4608 shader part and possibly 5120 to get that kind of uplift.

So if that leak was correct that is how it would look.

Soldato
Isn't this a case of AMD leading with the X parts to maximise early profits, with cheaper non-X SKU's to follow? That's what I'm expecting at least, although I guess the latter will still be more expensive than the last gen. If the performance is there though I don't think it's unreasonable.
Well their most popular SKU has been Superceded by something 33% more expensive. It's not to say it's not a good performing CPU but the bottom end and 8 core have risen by more than double the amount the Ryzen 9's have.

Caporegime
I know that's what he's referring to; there's a missing link though - how one gets from those specs to the GPU shown by AMD being the 6900XT. I mean, it's gonna be one of those 3 cards, and the likelihood of it being the 6700 is virtually nil.. so they previewed either the 6800XT or the 6900XT.
I can't decide if you are joking or if you are actually being serious and so slow at the same time.

To break it down:

1) The leaked Newegg document lists the part names and specs of each of the 6700XT, 6800XT and 6900XT cards.
2) The AMD benchmarks and the fps results showed performance that was on a par with the 3080... between 95 and 105%.
3) Taking this to the next logical step, if the specs of only one of those leaked cards from the Newegg document, the 6900XT, looks like it can threaten a 3080, then how can the card they used in the AMD presentation logically be anything else than the 6900XT (assuming the leaked specs are accurate)?

I mean really... it's not even remotely close to rocket science at how I am arriving at this conclusion.

The lower and mid specs realistically wouldn't physically give up the performance uplift over the 5700XT we've seen - realistically you are looking at a minimum of a 4608 shader part and possibly 5120 to get that kind of uplift.

So if that leak was correct that is how it would look.

5700XT gets around 29-30 FPS in Borderlands DX12 4K with badass settings - if you assume no architectural changes, no node changes, etc. you'd need a minimum of a 5120 shader part to get to 61FPS in reality due to the way performance scales with hardware you'd need more. When you add in realistic refinements architecturally for RDNA2, realistic node refinements for frequency, etc. a 3840 shader part is still some way short - a 4608 part would just about get you through the door.

Yes, this, thanks for explaining in more detail Rroff!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom