• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3080 FE constant crashing

Associate
I recieved my card today (Gigabyte Vision 3080) and had the same issues.

The eventual solution, weirdly, since i overclock my Ryzen 3700x to 4.25Ghz w/ 1.275v was to increase load line calibration. System logs under Computer Manager showed CPU core crashing. This rectified it for me, no more errors, no crashes. I see you OC as well, have you increase LLC in the bios?

Associate
Just put everything else back to stock settings, especially RAM (turn off XMP profiles). Then see if it's stable.

Soldato
Just put everything else back to stock settings, especially RAM (turn off XMP profiles). Then see if it's stable.

turning off XMP profiles often underclocks the RAM. You need to select the XMP profile that matches the speed on the RAM.

Download 3D Mark the free version if you dont have it, run Timespy benchmark. I find if it fails that then there is a good indication something is wrong with the card. If it passes but fails in games it usually ends up being software related or something you can change. Thats just from my experience.

Also whats the temp on the GPU when its crashing ?

Associate
OP
Max temp on the GPU is around 75-77C

I have made progress using a mixture of things.

I have set the CPU to 3.8 GHz @ 1.35V
I took the ram down to 2400 Mhz using XMP and it seemed stable currently back up to 3000 Mhz using XMP with 1.35V manually set.
I set a fan profile to ramp up (all my fans) to 70% on any temp over 55c on the CPU up to 100% on 67c on the CPU. Currently seeing a max temp of 63c.

With this, I managed an hour of GTA last night and an hour of red dead and GTA this morning. I will need to monitor it to see if the crashing is over, but it's a hell of a lot better than before. Just thought I would update in case anyone else is facing the same issues.

Thanks to everyone who's provided help.

Last edited:
Associate
My experience with 1st gen Ryzen/300 series boards is they don't like overclocking, either the CPU or the RAM. Mixing RAM also causes BSODs eventually as well.

Default RAM speed for a 1700 is 2133mhz, even with my Corsair LPX 'AMD compatible' kit I can't go above 2666mhz with a 1st gen board.

Associate
Max temp on the GPU is around 75-77C

I have made progress using a mixture of things.

I have set the CPU to 3.8 GHz @ 1.35V
I took the ram down to 2400 Mhz using XMP and it seemed stable currently back up to 3000 Mhz using XMP with 1.35V manually set.
I set a fan profile to ramp up (all my fans) to 70% on any temp over 55c on the CPU up to 100% on 67c on the CPU. Currently seeing a max temp of 63c.

With this, I managed an hour of GTA last night and an hour of red dead and GTA this morning. I will need to monitor it to see if the crashing is over, but it's a hell of a lot better than before. Just thought I would update in case anyone else is facing the same issues.

Thanks to everyone who's provided help.

What does the system logs say in Computer Management?

Soldato
Seems like it's the system crashing, not the GPU.
The 3080 has put more strain on your system making the overclocks fail

This certainly seems like the issue. Either resetting all clocks to stock or trying in another machine (not overclocked) is the best way to go

Associate
OP
Seems to be a system issue for sure, I have put a good few hours in with no issues. Glad to get to the bottom of it!

I think its a mix of the changes to the overclocks as well as a new power supply to sustain the new power draw? Touch wood this will be the end of it.

Associate
turning off XMP profiles often underclocks the RAM. You need to select the XMP profile that matches the speed on the RAM.

This isn't technically true - XMP profiles are factory overclocks. Turning them off makes the RAM run at the base spec timings of the modules.

Associate
Seems to be a system issue for sure, I have put a good few hours in with no issues. Glad to get to the bottom of it!

I think its a mix of the changes to the overclocks as well as a new power supply to sustain the new power draw? Touch wood this will be the end of it.

It's power to cores.
Load Line Calibration sorts this.

Changing it, subject to overal system stability, should afford you the CPU OC without needing to scale back any clocks.

Associate
thats ridiculous, 3080 should be a plug n play card especially if you had a 1080

must have been crazy to get a 3080 when there are hardly any in the country and then it doesnt work, like buying the only centodieci and finding out it doesnt drive, lol

Associate
thats ridiculous, 3080 should be a plug n play card especially if you had a 1080

must have been crazy to get a 3080 when there are hardly any in the country and then it doesnt work, like buying the only centodieci and finding out it doesnt drive, lol
In my case, I had issues as soon as I plugged in the 3080 because PCIe4.0 seemingly caused the SoC to become unstable at auto settings on my motherboard. Something I couldn't have anticipated because of Gen 4 being so new... For now I've had to set it back down to Gen 3, but I do plan on trying to make it stable at some point by adjusting voltages...

Associate
If it was an AMD card, people would return it blaming drivers.

As its an nvidia card, people are prepared to go to the efforts of underclocking, tweaking bios, new psu, new windows install. Its amazing.

Glad to see its working though, many a pc Gamer these days aren't prepared to put in the work.

Back
Top Bottom