high mileage club?

Soldato
Just gave my polo 9n to my brother in law on 177k (2002 car). That's nothing compared to some of the numbers in the thread, but seemed a lot on a polo. I bought it 8.5 years ago (as a "stop-gap" car whilst we were buying a house!) on 90k.

The engine, 1.4tdi, is running as good as ever, but various suspension elements need replacing among some other odds and ends. He's not sure if he'll keep it or fix and sell. I'm hoping he'll keep it: would be good to keep in touch with the old girl :)

Caporegime
My Polo 9N got to about 160,000 miles, impressive for a 1.2 petrol considering the last 35,000 miles were me relentlessly thrashing it to within an inch of its life! :p

It is sadly dead now though... :(

Caporegime
Thats not high really. Not high high.

I'd say anything 300K+ is worth a mention haha. :p

someone posted on the Volvo facebook page not long ago with a v70 d5 auto with 500,000 miles on it and they did an acceleration pull and aside from a bit of gearshift hesitation it seemed happy enough! :)

Soldato
A friend's 90s Impreza (non turbo) made it to around 260k before it had to be scrapped because of rust. Still ran ok though, apart from the stupidly loud exhaust a previous owner put on it.

Soldato
Not quite the same but many years ago when I drove lorries for a living, the Daf 3300 I drove was finally retired with 1.1m Km on the clock.
I personally put 450k of those mile on, was surprisingly still a decent drive but the new Scania I was given afterwards just blew it out of the water :D

In terms of cars, I had a Peugeot 306D with 300k on the clock when I sold it, & a ford scorpio estate 2.5D with 285k.
Both still drove really well & both engines had never ben apart for major work.

Soldato
Seen plenty of trucks and buses with well over 2m miles on them. Pretty sure my pickup has at least 300k, more likely 500k, but it only has a 5 digit odometer so there’s no way to know. Technically it has 7000 miles, but after a couple of minutes riding in it, you’d know that definitely wasn’t accurate :p

Man of Honour
Seen plenty of trucks and buses with well over 2m miles on them. Pretty sure my pickup has at least 300k, more likely 500k, but it only has a 5 digit odometer so there’s no way to know. Technically it has 7000 miles, but after a couple of minutes riding in it, you’d know that definitely wasn’t accurate :p

Had a laugh where I got my pickup from - they were selling a bunch of ~10 year old tractor units, refrigerated trucks, etc. all with moon miles plus on them - loads that were over 400K.

Sadly I think the chassis will rot out on my Navara long before it gets to those kind of mileages :( one of the few things that makes me hesitate on buying a new Navara as otherwise there is a lot I like about them.

Caporegime
They've massively improved lately in my experience. Whereas DPD are going downhill and UPS are absolutely abysmal, for example. I used to shy away from Hermes for eBay etc but now I tend to choose them!
Seems to be massively reliant on how good the last mile delivery driver is. Our local driver is great, I don’t tend to have any problems with inbound packages. But sending to other people is so hit and miss (still more often than not, miss) that I’d rather use RM.

Man of Honour
that I’d rather use RM

I dunno what is going on with our RM - the postman drives a Thrifty van (possibly due to this new collection thing) but occasionally we've had a postman that has a Fed Ex van and a Fed Ex uniform under the RM jacket.

Associate
This should be called the "Mileage High Club", makes a thread about battered old steeds more glamourous...

I reached 140K in the GTI, Prius is only trickling past 110K. Some serious road time in this thread!

Back
Top Bottom