• Digital Only Version

Votes: 172 16.2%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
How can they fail when its x86-64 architecture for both platforms, I think the problem here is Microsoft have learnt how to do it earlier, as they had backward compat down to 360 several years ago, and also to original xbox as well, whilst Sony seem t have always preferred released remasters instead, and maybe are having to learn it now creating this problem. I think if all ps4 games dont natively run on the ps5, there is something flawed going on.
99% of PS4 games run natively on ps5. There are like... 10 games or something which don’t work properly. And I’ve never even heard of these 10 personally.

Caporegime
Kinda torn on when I’m going to play cp2077... I don’t know if I can hold out for the next gen patch, I might just play the PS4 version on the 5. :/ argh. Hope they come out with a “surprise!” Next gen patch on release day.

edit. I mean, if the boost mode allows for 60fps im just going to play the current version now. I’ve decided.

I think that's what we'll see with PS4 games coming out now. They already have to work on PS5 to be certified so the devs could be building in 60fps support as part of that. It's already happening with Ghost of Tsushima which will run at 60fps on PS5 in boost mode, without requiring a proper patch. So we will not get 4K or Ray Tracing with the Cyberpunk PS4 version but it should have 60fps when running on PS5 boost mode.

Soldato
You know the list?
It's here https://support.playstation.com/s/article/backward-compatibility?language=en_US&lan=

PS4 only games
While the majority of PS4 games are playable on PS5 consoles, below is a list of PS4 games that are playable on PS4 only. On PlayStation™Store, PS4 games that are not playable on the PS5 console will be marked with ‘Playable on: PS4 only’.

PS4 only games:
DWVR
Afro Samurai 2 Revenge of Kuma Volume One
TT Isle of Man - Ride on the Edge 2
Just Deal With It!
Shadow Complex Remastered
Robinson: The Journey
We Sing
Hitman Go: Definitive Edition
Shadwen
Joe's Diner

Soldato
I think that's what we'll see with PS4 games coming out now. They already have to work on PS5 to be certified so the devs could be building in 60fps support as part of that. It's already happening with Ghost of Tsushima which will run at 60fps on PS5 in boost mode, without requiring a proper patch. So we will not get 4K or Ray Tracing with the Cyberpunk PS4 version but it should have 60fps when running on PS5 boost mode.
I thought as much. If 60fps is the case with the PS4 version, then I’m just going to play that version. :D and play the updated patched version at a later date or when it releases.

Caporegime
So, for @Noxia I'm thinking PS5 might be my first choice, as of today. :p

Reason being, I have got about six months of PS Now still left which gives me multitudes of games to play now that we know they all (mostly) work on PS5. Plus my existing digital library of 70 (minus two - Shadow Complex, Hitman Go) which I all want to play through again. If I got Xbox and Game Pass first, I doubt I would even be playing the PS5 for six months.

Soldato
So, for @Noxia I'm thinking PS5 might be my first choice, as of today. :p

Reason being, I have got about six months of PS Now still left which gives me multitudes of games to play now that we know they all (mostly) work on PS5. Plus my existing digital library of 70 (minus two - Shadow Complex, Hitman Go) which I all want to play through again. If I got Xbox and Game Pass first, I doubt I would even be playing the PS5 for six months.

I've kept quiet but I'm swinging back that way too. Reasoning, yes I just got the 3yrs of GP but have a decent 1440p pc so its not wasted. Also I accidently forgot to turn off auto renew so I got 12 months Ps+ in September for max price :( Big one, I want to play FFVIIR, I can get it for about £20 now second hand which is cool, and lastly I just like PS.

Soldato
I've been using PSNow a lot more recently. There's some good content on there right now. Additionally, I just checked my library and I have 333 games on there. PS5 is a no-brainer for me especially now I know that I will still have access to all that content. Probably never play any of them but that's not the point :p

Associate
Seems that people absolutely lost it when MS announced the prices of their expandable storage drives but we now have drives compatible with the PS5 and they aren't cheap
https://www.pushsquare.com/guides/which-ssd-drives-will-be-compatible-with-ps5
$230 for 1TB :eek:
Next gen be expensive, yo!

Wait for a bit and prices will come down quite a bit I reckon. I'm going to make do with standard storage for a while, maybe wait for deals in a years time. I wouldn't be surprised if they're around GBP150 in a year or so.

If you take PCIE 4.0 NVME for PC some were released around the 200 mark, quickly came down to 160 ish and have been as low as 135 within a year. There will also be a lot more competition between manufacturers with the increased demand from PS user base.

Soldato
Seems that people absolutely lost it when MS announced the prices of their expandable storage drives but we now have drives compatible with the PS5 and they aren't cheap

It amazes me that people on this forum of all forums didn't know the latest NVMe drives were pretty expensive...

The difference is, the Microsoft drive will likely stay at it's current price for most of the gen, the latest NVMe drive won't be the latest in a year or so and will come down in price.

Soldato
Associate
It amazes me that people on this forum of all forums didn't know the latest NVMe drives were pretty expensive...

The difference is, the Microsoft drive will likely stay at it's current price for most of the gen, the latest NVMe drive won't be the latest in a year or so and will come down in price.
II think they'll both come down in price fairly quickly as the far east bulk manufacturers get to grips with them and we see a bit more competition.

Associate
People probably lost it because the prices of those ms drives probably won’t change for the whole generation.
Why not? You know there are other manufacturers? The moment there's some decent competition the prices will drop........and there not even out yet.

I'm pretty confident they'll drop for both platforms as the technol;ogy becomes more mainstream.

Soldato

Quelle surprise :rolleyes:

People probably lost it because the prices of those ms drives probably won’t change for the whole generation.

Why not? Seagate are the launch partner for the Xbox drives, but it's already been confirmed that they won't be the only manufacturer.

The main drawback with the Xbox approach is they're using non-standard NVME drives. The PCB is short, and uses x2 PCIe lanes (rather than the standard x4). So the PS5 drives are likely to see more benefit from economies of scale. But both will inevitably drop in price.

Soldato
Why not? You know there are other manufacturers? The moment there's some decent competition the prices will drop........and there not even out yet.

I'm pretty confident they'll drop for both platforms as the technol;ogy becomes more mainstream.

Quelle surprise :rolleyes:

Why not? Seagate are the launch partner for the Xbox drives, but it's already been confirmed that they won't be the only manufacturer.

The main drawback with the Xbox approach is they're using non-standard NVME drives. The PCB is short, and uses x2 PCIe lanes (rather than the standard x4). So the PS5 drives are likely to see more benefit from economies of scale. But both will inevitably drop in price.

apologies. Didn’t realise more third party memory options were going to be available.

Back
Top Bottom