Old PC into gaming pc

Associate
Hello, I'm new to this forum and also to Pc gaming, My dad has an old Compaq presario with windows Vista. Would this be a good start to upgrade to a decent PC for gaming (Minecraft, rainbow six, Valorant, etc.) or shall I start from scratch?
Thanks
Raff

Soldato
Hi and welcome, I would imagen you would be better starting from scratch as that PC is likely to old to run anything other than a few retro games.

Associate
Depends on the model, but the fact it runs Vista? Without further info I'd say start again from scratch - most of the componments sound old and realistically only the HDD will come in useful (only for extra storage)

Associate
That very much depends on your budget, and what things you need/want (eg (gaming) keyboard, (gaming) mouse, monitor etc).

However at this point I'll assume you only want the base unit?

So you're going to need:

New case (who realistically wants to use a Compaq presario case?)
New PSU (doubt this would fit into the old case)
New motherboard
New memory
Recommend M.2 SSD
Possibly HDD for extra storage
New GPU
Any additional cooling (eg extra fans for the case, after market CPU cooler (eg AIO or air cooler)

So, work out a budget, then we can go from there :)

Associate
My budget is 450
Over budget by £100, but there is an offer on with MSI at the moment so you can claim back some money on the MSI board and processor: https://uk.msi.com/Promotion/back-to-school-2020#AMD-Motherboard

Only thing missing is the hard drive - as I said you might be able to reuse your old hard drive.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £555.86 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

Back
Top Bottom