Show Us Your Motors!

Soldato
Dunno Callum has gone but XE was more of last minute change to compete with 3 series/A4 rather than the coupe or A5 sportback in pursuit of volume, never really had the space and then c class popped up with its mini S class interior so that was also way off the mark - the facelifts have been pretty extensive but who knows...

long live the new design boss: Julian Thomson (mk1 Elise designer) and new CEO to fire up change. I’m hoping for some more drama so it all. The Guilia took that space in the segment.

Soldato
At least a year before the XE though.

I guess jaguar had a false sense of security when the F30 came out in 2012 with the crappiest BMW interior in years.

To you maybe it was a year, in reality half the stuff was production tooled, most long lead items already signed off with the supplier and in final development phase... don’t let that get in way of a good pushback though ;)

I do recall at various events being told just how bad the 3 series was so I think you have hit the nail on the head there.

Caporegime
the F30 came out in 2012 with the crappiest BMW interior in years.
What’s wrong with the F3X interior? Compared to the E9X it’s massively superior, it doesn’t feel like it’s made from the same plastic as a Christmas cracker toy for a start.

Better than the E6X as well, and the F2X for that matter.

440i-int-1.jpg

Soldato
I can only speak for the F32, we have a 440i but the interior is noticeably worse than my G01 X3 was (before it was stolen this week). Mainly around plastics and rattles, and just general quality.

Caporegime
I can only speak for the F32, we have a 440i but the interior is noticeably worse than my G01 X3 was (before it was stolen this week). Mainly around plastics and rattles, and just general quality.
My F33 440i only rattles in the roof (going back in to get that adjusted). The rest of the interior fit and finish is great IMO. Don’t forget the G01 is at least 6 years newer.

I prefer my 440i interior over my friends 2011 F10.

Soldato
My F33 440i only rattles in the roof (going back in to get that adjusted). The rest of the interior fit and finish is great IMO. Don’t forget the G01 is at least 6 years newer.

Whoops sorry it's the F33 440i convertible I have as well (damn all these new BMW designations for the last 10-15 years). I can't comment on the F10, but even compared to my old E60 530i the fit and finish isn't anywhere near as good.

Caporegime
Oh come off it :D

Unless you think that in 2012 the 5 series and 3 series sat beside each other in the showroom and the bigger more expensive car had the worse interior? :p
What I think is that the steering wheel, the stalks, and most of the buttons feel identical, and I definitely prefer the more cocooned (yes, smaller) layout of the 3/4. Add in my extended leather vs "normal" soft touch dash, and yes my car feels and looks better.

Really don't see this "worst BMW interior evar" nonsense? Do you not remember your E92? Sat in a pre LCI E60? Now they were nasty. Hell my old E46 was a nicer place to sit than my brother's E90.

Man of Honour
While I'm not against the F30/F32 interiors, the F10 is loads better. It feels just like a slightly smaller F01 7 Series, which I suppose it is.

Caporegime
My favourite is the police spec pre LCI E60 with cloth covered garden furniture for seats, black and silver trim only, no proper climate control just twiddly knobs and expanses of scratchy plastic, and a tiny idrive screen with a massive bezel. Lovely! :D

Soldato

Good baiting of Fox there... But seriously....

(Point of reference - I owned an F31 330D from 3 years old & 24k miles for 12 months and ~16k miles and an F25 X3 35D from new to 3 years & 32k miles. I tested several F11 vehicles when I bought the F31 - which, I chose because I preferred the sportiness of the 3 series.)

The Interior build 3 series of that era is very much comparable to the equivalent 1 series. The F10/F11 was a league ahead and much closer to the 7. In the new world of G series cars, the 3 is much closer to the equivalent 5. It is a huge talking point how much they've come on.

I'm not saying the 3 is awful - As you can tell I spent a small fortune on that segment and era BMWs - but it really isn't close to a 5 on the inside.

Caporegime
I suppose you're right, personally I've always found mine feels and looks better than the 7 Series.
Look is 100% subjective. Are you also going to argue that the leather covered dash somehow feels worse than the standard rubber thing? I’m 100% certain that BMW didn’t add whale oil to the plastics on your buttons and controls either...

I’m still waiting on details of “worst BMW interior”.

But no, it’s ok, you continue to hyperbole your way through the discussion without any actual fact.

I’ll give you one thing though, you MUST have more sound deadening, otherwise you’d realise your engine was a canal boat lump ;)

Caporegime
I do like those but I can't get over the scale of the wheels. In person they look comically huge! :p

At least it is through necessity to clear the brakes rather than for scene points.

Back
Top Bottom