The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Soldato
"New" Zwift PC landed earlier - picked up a Dell Optiplex 7010 SFF. Core i5, 8GB and W10 Pro. Need to replace the 250GB HD with a spare SSD I've pulled out of my bits box. Then it's keep an eye either for a low profile used 1050 Ti or a good deal on a new 1650.

Soldato
Jumped on sunday as a bit of a test where my lungs are on the tail end of this flu/cold thing (after taking a week mostly off). Started with some random training thing which popped up, possibly ZA? Lactate Shuffle. Good session! Unsure if it was the fresh/rested legs but I actually enjoyed that one...

But had got in the back of my mind to do more base/endurance type ride rather than too much high intensity, so dropped out into the 3R 100km Endurance ride. Legs again good and the Sweeper needing help I volunteered myself! Typical! So much for an easy ride... Several big/long chases but a fantastic group (as usual) and some really good fun! So much for a 'quick half hour', did 2 hours! At least that was a good kick back towards more riding this week! :cool:

Here you go !

Basically I can adjust the two nuts change the contact pressure onto the roller. There is one leg on each side.

cMGdN2N.png
Good work! Do love a good bodge/hack! I'd call that a hack, not a bodge! :D

"New" Zwift PC landed earlier - picked up a Dell Optiplex 7010 SFF. Core i5, 8GB and W10 Pro. Need to replace the 250GB HD with a spare SSD I've pulled out of my bits box. Then it's keep an eye either for a low profile used 1050 Ti or a good deal on a new 1650.
Do you really need a 1050 Ti? Surely some of the more normal 1050/1060's wouldn't run as hot and only a slight reduction in performance?

Soldato
After all my issues with drop outs, thinking I had fixed it with the special USB cable.

No changes, now I am back to getting 7-8 per ride.... not really noticeable data loss as it’s mostl HR/Cadence and is smoothed out I think.

Totally random! I’ve been using my crank power meter so not had the issues with the Neo power reading 0 recently...

Soldato
Only new 1050's in low profile seem to be Ti variants, though they seem cost about the same as a 1650. I've no idea which is faster!
Ahhh ok, then I kinda figured not to buy new... Buying a SH PC and SH card to keep the costs super low :cool:

After all my issues with drop outs, thinking I had fixed it with the special USB cable.

No changes, now I am back to getting 7-8 per ride.... not really noticeable data loss as it’s mostl HR/Cadence and is smoothed out I think.

Totally random! I’ve been using my crank power meter so not had the issues with the Neo power reading 0 recently...
Rubbish! So it's the Cadence from the Neo or another sensor? With it being HR as well, are those on BT and the PWM on ANT+? So your dongle/adaptor is dropping the one channel/protocol?

Jumped on for my return to 'real' Zwifting last night. The WTRL TTT. We annoyingly had a 16 minute wait (in the pen) so I was leaving things pretty late logging in at 19:35 (pen closes at 19:40 with our time off at 19:56)... Cue a slightly slower than normal laptop, then a %*^%*& Zwift update (since Sunday ffs!) which was really slow to install (well, they install fast, with progress bar, then the Zwift 'launcher' just sits there, unresponsive unable to click anything for a good 3-4 minutes afterwards. Mine always does this, anyone else get the same?).

So I missed the Pen closing by seconds, when Zwift loaded I saw 19:40 on my screen, but had no ride to 'join' (I'd joined it via companion app the day before). So back into companion app and find the ride, see all the other pens 'event has started' yet mine with a nice +... Click it and then 'event has started' and I can't... Damn buggy piece of sheite! Sure enough within a few seconds my clock ticks over to 19:41. So think I missed the ride by less than 30s.

Annoyed (after letting my team down) I went up Ventop and abused myself for the best part of an hour, sat at around FTP to get some good TSS (108) which is around what I'd get from the TTT anyway. So at least I got the same amount of training load.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4169165177

Ventop was different. Weird climb and constant gradient with much of it between 6-10% with no real flats/false-flats so didn't really suit my riding, so had to fluxuate my efforts. There was some good banter with a few other riders for distraction after a runner had passed us. Pushing and holding 3.5w/kg barely kept pace with her. She was a good sport egging us along too so good fun. Although unsure how you'd type when running on a treadmill, that must be quite a task! After around 45 mins I figured I must be nearly there... But not knowing how long the climb was ended up googling it... 20.9km long and I'd barely done 10km! Brutal. Rounded things up to an hour, did a U turn and span out my legs while chatting/shouting/encouraging the TTT team on Discord as they where heading in towards the finish. Disappointing night but at least I got some training/riding/volume/stress/intensity in without venting elsewhere :cool:

Soldato
Roady. I’m old school and it should all be ANT+, my Garmin doesn’t do Bluetooth either.

Wahoo Tickr, Tacx Neo, and then Power2Max Type S.

Zwift should be using two channels for the Neo I think, controllable and cadence?

No issues when I update the game, but yes it is annoying and quite frequent!

Soldato
Bit of advice please fellas (and ladies!). Going to invest in my first turbo trainer, decided on the Wahoo Kickr Core and will be using it in my garage which has a flat, smooth concrete floor. Initially with my Windows 10 laptop to run Zwift but may HDMI that to an old 42" LED if I can guarantee the kids won't smash it/knock it over when getting their bikes out.

• Will I need a mat to go under the turbo/bike?
  • What sort of fan is recommended? I've got an oscilating tower fan already but would I need something smaller to go in front of me?

Soldato
A mat is probably recommended, as it's easy to clean the sweat!

And as for a fan......a big one! Do not underestimate how much more you'll sweat as you don't have the air moving past you as you would outdoors. I'm using a pretty traditional desk fan which does the job, but I think I'll buy one of those circa £30 floor fans that put out a lot of wind! We use them at work when it's hot and they definitely seem more 'manly-er' for the job.

Soldato
A mat is probably recommended, as it's easy to clean the sweat!

And as for a fan......a big one! Do not underestimate how much more you'll sweat as you don't have the air moving past you as you would outdoors. I'm using a pretty traditional desk fan which does the job, but I think I'll buy one of those circa £30 floor fans that put out a lot of wind! We use them at work when it's hot and they definitely seem more 'manly-er' for the job.
Not so fussed about sweat as it's the garage floor so is already pretty dusty & grubby being a garage and all. I've read it can dampen vibrations which may prolong the life of the turbo, but that could be marketing spiel to get you to spend £69 on a mat with Wahoo written on it :p.

I reckon I'll start with the fan I've got and see how much I sweat!

Associate
After thinking about it for a very long time, I've finally bit the bullet and ordered a concept2 bikeerg. I aim to use it with zwift and just wondering what I need to set it up?

It's my understanding that the bikeerg pm5 connects directly to zwift? Can I just run the zwift app on my note 10+ handset and cast to my TV using chromecast?

Soldato
Bit of advice please fellas (and ladies!). Going to invest in my first turbo trainer, decided on the Wahoo Kickr Core and will be using it in my garage which has a flat, smooth concrete floor. Initially with my Windows 10 laptop to run Zwift but may HDMI that to an old 42" LED if I can guarantee the kids won't smash it/knock it over when getting their bikes out.

• What sort of fan is recommended? I've got an oscilating tower fan already but would I need something smaller to go in front of me?
Good choice on turbo and your setup sounds good. Very similar to what I'm using and have used a good few years. I have an Ikea 'sideboard' type thing which became spare with it sat on, works really well as with the middle shelves taken out the front wheel kinda pokes into it so I can get closer to the older 42" samsung I'm using. It's stable too and has the screen a good height 'up' so it's out of the way of stuff. There's lots of other ways to hold things, I worked from a laptop on a collapsible 'workmate' sawbench type thing. Was looking at the specific floor stand for my TV, then mount the fan & laptop on it some how but far cheaper the way I ended up.

Mat will give you a bit more 'feel' and probably less vibration when you're riding. It'll also keep the trainer & bike more stationary than a solid floor will. Other benefits like wiping down are less needed in a garage but still useful. Mine is on a concrete floor and being that bit raised it seems to attract less of the general floor dust & dirt that the rest of the garage does (although it 'looks' worse as its black!).

Start with the tower fan and see how you get on. Really depends on the type of rider, the type of riding and even the airflow in your garage you'll get with 1 fan. I've ended up with 3 fans, although through most of the winter will be only running the smaller 2. My setup is fairly central, with my screen towards the wall. I'm away from the doorway so I don't get direct airflow (so in the winter I can still have the door open and not get too cold, while still being able to place a fan that side to get easy additional airflow in the summer), and avoid much of the movement of stuff in & out (+ dirt) from the doorway. That way I also have lots of space around me which really helps not to feel enclosed. I have structured my garage around my setup to a certain extent, but you might not be so lucky with options.

that could be marketing spiel to get you to spend £69 on a mat with Wahoo written on it :p.
Obviously. But then if you're paying over the odds for a trainer why not splash out on a matching mat... ;)

I'm using some cheapy PX probably <£20 'Sportscrafter' mat. It's seen better days. Maybe I'll buy a new branded Wahoo one when I get around to upgrading to a Core... ;)

After thinking about it for a very long time, I've finally bit the bullet and ordered a concept2 bikeerg. I aim to use it with zwift and just wondering what I need to set it up?

It's my understanding that the bikeerg pm5 connects directly to zwift? Can I just run the zwift app on my note 10+ handset and cast to my TV using chromecast?
Don't know what the concept2 bikeerg is so can't comment on how to set up for Zwift. I'd go to DCR/GPLama for any research/input on it before making any choice. But basically if it broadcasts power/cadence over BT or ANT+ while also connecting as a controllable trainer (ERG mode) you should be set.

Note 10+ should certainly run Zwift and will connect anything ANT+ (and probably BT) while also Chromecasting no issue.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Took me a while, but half of an already large garage is now more secure & Warm :)

All joints resealed, new roof, insulated. Was hoping for a Prime day deal on a 65" TV but no such luck.

(yes i did spend far to much money on a plastic matt)

56YbmnB.jpg

w18jv7c.jpg

kfRRB2z.jpg

mQne1pQ.jpg

Soldato
Well done, that looks superb! I've seriously considered doing mine at some point... I say that every spring after a cold winter of riding in there and never quite get around to it... Even with my furlough that would've been perfect. Ooops. Roof needs doing on mine at some point too - flat roof that water just sits on. It doesn't come through (yet) but it's only a matter of time... :rolleyes:

I went to jump into WRL last night, first round of the new WTRL race series. Laptop played up and wouldn't load Zwift. Rebooted, then wouldn't connect to WiFi. Rebooted and then wouldn't start up at all! Eventually got it working and eventually loaded Zwift. Obviously +1 minute after the race start so missed it.

Jumped onto a KISS race, Crit city/Downtown Dolphin. Did 8 laps chasing wheels in the 30th-40th place B chase group. Wasn't much fun and although I was riding it well my heart wasn't in it. I went a bit deep chasing a gap/rider up front then struggled to recover. When another gap opened I didn't even try to close it, just sat up and rolled around. 8 laps done so at least a good leg spin/loosener.

That's the 3rd time in as many weeks I've missed a race start. Depressing time of year & depressing technology just ruining the only 'me' things I seem to plan. Still one good thing... Got a new mobile (S10) so planning to stick Zwift on it and get a USB-C->HDMI cable so I can use that as a backup, if needed! Maybe I can request a new laptop for Christmas... If anywhere has any stock of them. SH desktop and chuck a card in it will probably work out as a cheaper option anyway.

Last edited:
Associate

a lot of people recommend air-blower fan (that looks like a snail) instead of a traditional fan:
https://www.trainerroad.com/forum/t...lasko-fan-check-this-out-thanks-to-hugo1/9554
I saw that and used their discount code (TRAINERROAD10 to get 10% off) - it's a monster and shifts a LOAD of air. Googling Zwift and Vacmaster has a lot of results, so it's pretty popular. But, as I've been busy with mtb and diy in the house, I have to admit I'm yet to use it in anger myself.

Soldato
@Roady hate when technology gets in the way of a race/workout. Had it earlier where my cadence dropped out on route to alpe. Tried to reconnect and then everything dropped out. Had to get off and unplug thr turbo.

Pain in the arse. Probabaly reduced my average power on the ride but I'll need to check my power for the actual climb.

Soldato
a lot of people recommend air-blower fan (that looks like a snail) instead of a traditional fan:
https://www.trainerroad.com/forum/t...lasko-fan-check-this-out-thanks-to-hugo1/9554
I saw that and used their discount code (TRAINERROAD10 to get 10% off) - it's a monster and shifts a LOAD of air. Googling Zwift and Vacmaster has a lot of results, so it's pretty popular. But, as I've been busy with mtb and diy in the house, I have to admit I'm yet to use it in anger myself.

Can confirm, vacmaster is a beast of a fan and shifts far more air than a traditional desk fan. Over Unders still hurt though :eek:

Back
Top Bottom