• Series S

Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
Microsoft say its double. Will find out in a month.....

Oh... Just a month :D

Since have all but given up pc upgrades, have not had a new gaming toy since PS4 pro came out - kind of starting to look forward to now :D

Already booked the 3 days after release off. Need to get through gears games before then so I have upgraded gears 5 to focus on. and valhalla. and COD CW.

Soldato
Series S can't and won't have the same graphic settings as the One X because graphically, it is less powerful (4TF vs 6TF). The CPU is more powerful, so you'll get higher framerates with lower quality settings. This is what the console prioritizes. Which MS elude to in their marketing...

I thought this was meant to be a computer forum?
Digital Foundry already highlighted the One X and Series S GPUs would likely perform similarly.

Caporegime
OP
So all the One X enhanced games if to run similarly enhanced on S will need a new version with assets at 1440p ? Otherwise will just be One games upscaled or higher frame rate ?

Yes, that's right. It's only the OG Xbox and Xbox 360 games that get resolution enhancements on XSS. If any Xbone S games have dynamic resolution then they should max out on XSS.

Associate
I know all the series x overheating talk is exaggerated, but I was originally planning on putting it in my IKEA Besta TV cabinet like I always do, due to the size I will have to lay it down, it will fit in stood up if I remove a shelf but this leaves little room to breathe, my concern is that it won't be exhausting to the rear but sideways and could potentially cause issues, anybody else putting theirs in a similar setup?

Soldato
I know all the series x overheating talk is exaggerated, but I was originally planning on putting it in my IKEA Besta TV cabinet like I always do, due to the size I will have to lay it down, it will fit in stood up if I remove a shelf but this leaves little room to breathe, my concern is that it won't be exhausting to the rear but sideways and could potentially cause issues, anybody else putting theirs in a similar setup?

I’m in the same boat, originally I was just going to lie it flat and see how it goes but I’ve decided it can just live on the floor next to the cabinet, I’m hoping sat next to my sonos sub it won’t look too out of place

ljt

ljt

Soldato

Mines going on it's side, but I took the back out of the cabinet so it should have plenty of ventilation!

Soldato

I have the same cabinet. I'd just leave the door open when I'm playing on it, should have sufficient airflow I'd imagine (going to leave the shelf in).

Man of Honour
Upon realising that the venom stand doesn’t have overcharge protection and that I have a charger and 4x2000mah and 2x2500mah batteries sitting unused I figured I’d use these for the time being.

Caporegime
Can't believe people are comparing x1x to series s tflops on here of all places.

We already know 5700xt rDNA1 9tflops compared to Radeon 7 GCN 14tflops in gaming. and now this is rDNA 2 we are talking about in the series S.

rDNA2 4tflops will absolutely be faster than 6tflops of GCN.

Yes, but it isn't going to be massively so.

It is highly unlikely that AMD are going to have doubled the power per teraflop.

Also, you are fudging the numbers to make it look better - The radeon 7 is 13.8 tflops and the 5700xt is 9.8 tflops. That is a 4 tflop difference. Thats a 40% increase in teraflops efficiency.

For the s series GPU to be "a lot" more powerful than the one x gpu, the efficiency would have to increase to something like 80-100%.

At best, it is likely to only be slightly faster, if any faster at all.

It will obviously have newer and more advanced features though no doubt.

Caporegime
https://streamable.com/ogjm82

In the MS marketing type video for the series S they say it has 4x the processing power of the X1X and simar graphical power although with RDNA 2 architecture it offers many features the X1X simply can't do. Its at the 5:00 mark.

Isn't that what we have been saying?

The gpu power is likely to be similar. Overall processing power, what with the ram, ssd and cpu is going to make it much faster than the One X overall.

Associate
Yes, but it isn't going to be massively so.

It is highly unlikely that AMD are going to have doubled the power per teraflop.

Also, you are fudging the numbers to make it look better - The radeon 7 is 13.8 tflops and the 5700xt is 9.8 tflops. That is a 4 tflop difference. Thats a 40% increase in teraflops efficiency.

For the s series GPU to be "a lot" more powerful than the one x gpu, the efficiency would have to increase to something like 80-100%.

At best, it is likely to only be slightly faster, if any faster at all.

It will obviously have newer and more advanced features though no doubt.
On my mobile so just grabbed quick numbers 5700 also beats the snot out of a 64 which has more tflops.

My point was more towards people thinking the series s is weaker than the 1x due to less tflops, when in reality the GPU power will be slightly faster and the CPU power will allow for 120fps in some games. Never said it would be significantly faster.

Man of Honour
Isn't that what we have been saying?

The gpu power is likely to be similar. Overall processing power, what with the ram, ssd and cpu is going to make it much faster than the One X overall.

Yep, so no idea why he’s now posting evidence to support the people he was arguing against.

Associate
Highly unlikely but is there a way to download games pass games onto an external hdd from a pc so they are ready to transfer to the series x when it arrives? I don't have very fast broadband and I don't have an Xbox one to download the games with.

Soldato
Highly unlikely but is there a way to download games pass games onto an external hdd from a pc so they are ready to transfer to the series x when it arrives? I don't have very fast broadband and I don't have an Xbox one to download the games with.

I don't think that would work. You'd end up downloading the PC versions of the games instead of the Xbox versions.

Man of Honour

Even if you had a current Xbox, if the game had series x updates then you will need to download all of the high resolution textures etc once you plug the device into a series x anyway.

Soldato
Will any Xbox credit we have/buy now work on Xbox s/x store?

Sometimes can get credit from cdkeys abit cheaper so thought may buy it now and then redeem it so when sign into series s can buy the digital games I want and set it going :)

I'm assuming it will work as I guess will access same store

Back
Top Bottom