Quest 2, Which WiFi6 Router?

Soldato
Hi guys,

Was thinking about getting a Pcie adapter card, but, not sure it will work now based on the info above. Would something like this work?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/tp-link-re505x-ax1500-wi-fi-range-extender-nw-221-tp.html

I have a switch in the same room as my Gaming computer, plug the Range extender into the switch and use it in access mode?

you want a router connected directly to the PC that the quest can communicate with wirelessly, no switch, not sure if that range extender can act as a router, but the cabling would be PC > router > switch, not PC > Switch > Router

Soldato
you want a router connected directly to the PC that the quest can communicate with wirelessly, no switch, not sure if that range extender can act as a router, but the cabling would be PC > router > switch, not PC > Switch > Router

The range extender can act as an access point not a router.

I was under the impression that it would work with a normal router not connected to the PC as long as you kept one 5Hz channel free and you had your 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks with different SSIDs.

Soldato
The range extender can act as an access point not a router.

I was under the impression that it would work with a normal router not connected to the PC as long as you kept one 5Hz channel free and you had your 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks with different SSIDs.

It will work yes but depends on your network what the latency will be like depending on how many other people are using the network, dedicated router direct to the PC is always going to be the best if you can do it.

Associate
speedtest tests your internet connection, which is irrelevant for Quest streaming, what you need to do is boot everything else off the 5ghz channel and then connect something to it and look at what the TX rate is, it should be something like 866mbps. Throughput isn't really the issue, its latency, as long as you have a 5ghz channel and you can kick everyone else off of this channel then it should be good to go - in my house 5ghz only works well within line of sight of the router, through walls/upstairs most devices work faster on 2.4ghz, so for me changing the password on the 5ghz to make sure I have it to myself is not a hardship.

Hi Andybird - thanks for the reply.

If you dont mind Id like to ask another question (you seem quite knowledgeable on the subject).

So Id like to run the quest 2 wirelessly with the best resolution as I can. I have virgin media internet which is basically a router and cable box in one. So I get the outside wire to their router and then a ethernet wire to my computer. I have an older computer so dont have another ethernet port on my computer to hook something up. Could I just connect the quest to the virgin media router? or what would be the best way to do this? - I dont mind buying something cheapish to hook up to my computer - originally was going to just play via the cable link but then saw a video where a guy said its almost as good quality as the cable and what was mentioned in this forum so wirelessly sounds better to me so cancelled the cable delivery.

I heard mention of the pcie adapter but they said not as good.

thanks

Soldato
It will work yes but depends on your network what the latency will be like depending on how many other people are using the network, dedicated router direct to the PC is always going to be the best if you can do it.

Thanks Andy, I was just double checking that it would actually work. Only 2 people will be using the network and It will only be me on the 5Ghz band.

After reading some more today, it is possible to get the a Wifi 6 card working properly. Now I am back to thinking I might keep the Gigabyte PCIe wifi 6 adapter and chance it!!

Soldato
Thanks Andy, I was just double checking that it would actually work. Only 2 people will be using the network and It will only be me on the 5Ghz band.

After reading some more today, it is possible to get the a Wifi 6 card working properly. Now I am back to thinking I might keep the Gigabyte PCIe wifi 6 adapter and chance it!!
I have seen people say they had better results with a pcie card, but the developer seems adamant a router is best, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Soldato
Hi Andybird - thanks for the reply.

If you dont mind Id like to ask another question (you seem quite knowledgeable on the subject).

So Id like to run the quest 2 wirelessly with the best resolution as I can. I have virgin media internet which is basically a router and cable box in one. So I get the outside wire to their router and then a ethernet wire to my computer. I have an older computer so dont have another ethernet port on my computer to hook something up. Could I just connect the quest to the virgin media router? or what would be the best way to do this? - I dont mind buying something cheapish to hook up to my computer - originally was going to just play via the cable link but then saw a video where a guy said its almost as good quality as the cable and what was mentioned in this forum so wirelessly sounds better to me so cancelled the cable delivery.

I heard mention of the pcie adapter but they said not as good.

thanks

How far apart is the router, your PC, and where you want to play;

If they are all in the same room and you can dedicate the 5ghz to the quest then you may have everything you need.

If you want to use a new router to dedicate 5ghz to the quest, put the new router next to the PC (or in your VR space), turn off DHCP server and instead configure the new router to get DHCP from the virgin router, put the ethernet from the virgin router in to the new router then wire the PC to the new router, connect quest to new 5ghz WiFi.

Associate
How far apart is the router, your PC, and where you want to play;

If they are all in the same room and you can dedicate the 5ghz to the quest then you may have everything you need.

If you want to use a new router to dedicate 5ghz to the quest, put the new router next to the PC (or in your VR space), turn off DHCP server and instead configure the new router to get DHCP from the virgin router, put the ethernet from the virgin router in to the new router then wire the PC to the new router, connect quest to new 5ghz WiFi.

(PC) 1m 1m 1m (virgin media hub/router)
between this area is where I plan to use my quest or in front of the router (ie where there is space in front of the TV). So everything in the same room. So I should just be able to hook up the quest 2 right to the VMrouter at 5ghz?. Not sure about using another router but if it might help I may get one just not sure how to hook it up unless its from the VM router and add another router there? (just re-read your message - you said to add the router to the VM router and my computer to the new one). Guess well see how this works and perhaps buy a new one if it doesnt work well.

Soldato
Yes given that the router is in the same room as you intend playing, then just try kicking everything off the 5.8ghz network and leaving that to your quest only, should work fine unless the virgin router is total trash.

If you want to keep other things on the 5.8ghz then it’s best to do as Andy mentions and use a router to set up a different wireless network...

Basically the fundamental issue is that a wifi5 based router can’t really do two things at once very well - technically it can broadcast to multiple devices with MU-MIMO but can’t actually be talked to by multiple devices concurrently. That combined with sharing bandwidth, all of which you want for yourself, will result in potentially poor performance and stutters (the latter can be very uncomfortable in VR for some). This is one of the big advantages of Wifi6 as it is much better at handling concurrent communication with multiple devices through subdivision of the channels... it would still be preferable however to not share any of the bandwidth.

Last edited:
Associate
hi, I have a virgin media router and a unifi network (wifi 5 APs and a switch)

why would the router be involved if everything runs through the switch? as @andybird123 says? I don't understand the purpose of the router in this case as it's internal network only...

Soldato
Can I plug a new Wifi 6 router into my existing Virgin Media router (via ethernet)?

My PC is on the other side of the house connected by a really long 40m ethernet cable.

Yes you can, unplug the PC from the virgin router, put that cable in to the new router, then plug the PC in to the new router

Soldato
@MrClippy I don’t really follow your question... I think maybe you are confused in thinking that a router is only to do with internet access? In reality it is your modem that connects to the internet and your router controls your home network.

Put simply, in order to use wireless streaming to the Quest with something like virtual desktop, you obviously need a way of connecting wirelessly to your pc which is rendering the game.

You could do this through the existing WiFi network but results will often be poor due to other devices on the network, and will be really poor if your PC is also connected to the network by WiFi.

The recommended setup (as per the developer of Virtual desktop) for reliability and maximum performance is therefore a router set up as an access point or bridge connected directly to your PC by Ethernet and running a dedicated 5.8ghz WiFi connection to your PC for your Quest.

There are other setups that will work, and needs sometimes dictate a different one, but that is the widely recommended method.

The most important points in any setup though are:

- Give the Quest a 5.8ghz network completely to itself.

- Your PC should be connected to the Quest’s WiFi access point (wherever or whatever you use to create that) by Ethernet. Alternatively, but potentially less desirable, create a WiFi hotspot using your built in card or PCIe card if you have the option (not all do).

- Do not connect your pc to a router/access point by WiFi and then use that router/access point’s WiFi to connect to your Quest.

Follow those basic rules in any setup you come up with and it should work fine.

Soldato
hi, I have a virgin media router and a unifi network (wifi 5 APs and a switch)

why would the router be involved if everything runs through the switch? as @andybird123 says? I don't understand the purpose of the router in this case as it's internal network only...

Your existing wifi5 network is presumably in use by other devices, which will introduce lag for the quest traffic, you want a dedicated router for the quest to the PC for minimal lag, how you wire this is to your existing network is a question only you can answer, but the best way for least lag is to have a dedicated router for the quest wired directly to your PC, this new router can then be wired by ethernet to your existing network basically just acting as a switch

Access points don't provide the same functionality to be able to dedicate a channel to the quest.

Soldato
Can I plug a new Wifi 6 router into my existing Virgin Media router (via ethernet)?

My PC is on the other side of the house connected by a really long 40m ethernet cable.

Yeah that will work fine, the only point is to be as close to your new router as possible when using the quest.

Back
Top Bottom