Video editors with good GPU acceleration ?

Soldato
Anyone know of some good video editors that use GPU acceleration for faster renders ? I've been using Davinci Resolve but even with the GPU selected during a render it may use 2% of the GPU.

Any insight is appreciated.

Associate
Depends what you're rendering in resolve...

Depending on what your doing to your footage, then rendering may not stress your gpu very much at all even when set to gpu encode. The hardware encoder which will be doing the encoding is only a tiny portion of the GPUs overall size and compute ability. So even if you are hammering the encoder portion at 100%, your usage will only really show that tiny portion of overall use. Simple colour grading uses little GPU. Also, the encoder is the same across the family, so a lower card will still have the same hardware encoder as tbe2080ti...

Filters and effects which are GPU accelerated (sharpening for one ) will increase the usage, but unless it's crazy complicated, you won't hit 100%. It's in this area that you'll see 2080ti benefits compared to lower cards.

It's a misconception that everything is better with GPU, and this is the case in a lot of image related software. Photoshop for one is a program which will GPU accelerate where it suits, but not all the time. Sometimes it takes longer to send data to the GPU and wait on a result than it would do for the Cpu to do it itself...so no point in GPU acceleration as it's a performance detractor.

As mentioned above, have you tried CPU encode to compare times ?

Caporegime
Hardware (GPU) encoding in Premiere is very fast so I'm surprised it's not as hoped in Davinci or thereabouts.

That said, I would have thought rendering via software (CPU) with a 3950X should still be very quick. I'm using a 3900X and when I was using that to render it was still much, much faster than anything I'd previously used; render times went down from hours to minutes.

Soldato
OP
Davinci resolve? believe you can pick either CPu/GPU

Yeah but GPU isn't really well used in DR.

Depends what you're rendering in resolve...

Depending on what your doing to your footage, then rendering may not stress your gpu very much at all even when set to gpu encode. The hardware encoder which will be doing the encoding is only a tiny portion of the GPUs overall size and compute ability. So even if you are hammering the encoder portion at 100%, your usage will only really show that tiny portion of overall use. Simple colour grading uses little GPU. Also, the encoder is the same across the family, so a lower card will still have the same hardware encoder as tbe2080ti...

Filters and effects which are GPU accelerated (sharpening for one ) will increase the usage, but unless it's crazy complicated, you won't hit 100%. It's in this area that you'll see 2080ti benefits compared to lower cards.

It's a misconception that everything is better with GPU, and this is the case in a lot of image related software. Photoshop for one is a program which will GPU accelerate where it suits, but not all the time. Sometimes it takes longer to send data to the GPU and wait on a result than it would do for the Cpu to do it itself...so no point in GPU acceleration as it's a performance detractor.

As mentioned above, have you tried CPU encode to compare times ?

It's mainly just tech demos, Benchmarks and gameplay videos, I tried Premiere Pro and with it's honestly superb GPU acceleration I can render out a video twice as fast as using Davinci Resolve as DR's use of CUDA is a bit poo, I'm in the middle of a 7 day trial of Premiere Pro but £20 a month is a little steep to simply rent some software.

Hardware (GPU) encoding in Premiere is very fast so I'm surprised it's not as hoped in Davinci or thereabouts.

That said, I would have thought rendering via software (CPU) with a 3950X should still be very quick. I'm using a 3900X and when I was using that to render it was still much, much faster than anything I'd previously used; render times went down from hours to minutes.

It's decent with the CPU just wish the GPU rendering was as good as Premiere Pro.

Associate
Currently my GPU doesn't support CUDA or any other hardware acceleration so I'm looking into boosting render speeds or smoothness in editing by upgrading to a card that supports the feature. Would I see a real difference with a better card? OR Is there another option I can try to improve render speeds?

Soldato
OP
Currently my GPU doesn't support CUDA or any other hardware acceleration so I'm looking into boosting render speeds or smoothness in editing by upgrading to a card that supports the feature. Would I see a real difference with a better card? OR Is there another option I can try to improve render speeds?

In Premiere Pro the rendering speeds with CUDA are honestly a little nuts thanks to a recent update from Adobe but the downside is you rent the software for £20 a month whereas Davinci Resolve is free but has nowhere near the same level of GPU acceleration.

Example, I rendered out a video at 3440x1440 with a 50Mbps bit rate, Didn't change the length of the video, Didn't add any FX, Cuts etc... same settings across both Davinci Resolve and Premiere Pro.

Davinci Resolve w/GPU-A 17:39

Premiere Pro w/GPU-A 6:23

So it largely depends on which software suite you want to use, For Davinci Resolve your GPU makes little difference in the rendering of videos, In Premiere Pro using CUDA to help render videos makes a massive difference.

Soldato
i think DR supports hardware encodig with Nvidia and AMD GPUs, so you dont need CUDA for that.

Premier uses only CUDA which is Nvidia GPU

Back
Top Bottom