• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Suggested cooling for the 5900x?

Associate
That's if you want to go with Noctua for getting the kit. The requirement is AM4 CPU/motherboard invoice and your Noctua invoice or photo with your address on the Noctua cooler.

Alternatively, OC sell it themselves (this is for the D14 and other coolers, so please ensure that you choose the right kit as there are multiple kits): https://www.overclockers.co.uk/noctua-nm-am4-mounting-kit-hs-037-nc.html

Thanks for the link, I have a NH-D15 on my old i5-2500k system which I can use and get a standard fan for that as it will be relegated to clerical work and won't be overclocked
Its worth paying the £6 for the kit rather than have to wait until after I have bought the new system and have to wait for it to arrive

Associate
Thanks for the link, I have a NH-D15 on my old i5-2500k system which I can use and get a standard fan for that as it will be relegated to clerical work and won't be overclocked
Its worth paying the £6 for the kit rather than have to wait until after I have bought the new system and have to wait for it to arrive
£6 for you, but I had to cover shipping as well :rolleyes: (until this very post? I'll check after :D)

I've just checked the fitting instructions for the mounting kit I have and that also fits the D15.

Basically it's the same instructions when you brought the cooler: the mounting kit also includes two new mounts from the cooler which I couldn't decide whether I need to replace them or not (I've replaced mine as when I tested, the new ones felt a little more tighter on the screws for the AM4 mount), however you shouldn't need to replace them.

Hope this helps. If you need more help may I suggest creating a new thread and tag me? ;)

Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
My only concern with getting the NH-D15 is the size for RAM clearance.

I will either have it with the G. Skill RGB Neo or the TeamGroup 8 Pack stuff and I want to be able to switch stuff in and out. It's got to a point I might just get the NH-U12S instead since videos show this isn't an issue.

The U12S isn't on AMD's list of verified max boost coolers though: https://www.amd.com/en/processors/ryzen-thermal-solutions

Soldato
Are you joking me? They aren't even out until 5th November :rolleyes:

Exactly, people will be able to answer that question with more confidence on the 5th.

It's easy to buy a good 3900x cooler and it will probably work very well on a 5900x. But nobody can be 100% certain until they try it on the 5th. I'd rather wait and I recommend everyone else does before spending money.

Last edited:
Associate
Exactly, ask on the 5th. How can any of us know how current cooling solutions will perform? That's why I suggested waiting for reviews.
Even then they won't be delivered on the 5th :rolleyes:

However "common sense" says that existing cooling solutions should be fine as they haven't increased the TDP :rolleyes:

Associate

I will either have it with the G. Skill RGB Neo or the TeamGroup 8 Pack stuff and I want to be able to switch stuff in and out. It's got to a point I might just get the NH-U12S instead since videos show this isn't an issue.

The U12S isn't on AMD's list of verified max boost coolers though: https://www.amd.com/en/processors/ryzen-thermal-solutions

Never thought of that, the trouble is you have no idea how high the RAM is, as the dimensions are not given in the sales info, might have to go for AIO watercooling after all

rn2

rn2

Associate

You just have to move one of the fans a couple of mm off of the heat sink.

Soldato
Why not ask people who actually have a 5900x? I'm sure the major hardware channels will cover this at length in many videos. I wouldn't buy a cooler based on speculation.

Doesn't help when AMD haven't said themselves what cooler to use. Many want to use their CPU soon as its available, not wait around a fews days to see what cooler they can use.

I be using the same cooler I have for my 3950X

rn2

rn2

Associate
Is that straightforward, without any serious modding?
Well after watching videos on YouTube of people using the two coolers I mentioned (NHD15 and Assassin 3) on i9-9900k's it seems that they just moved the fan a couple of mm off of the cooler towards the outside of the case (you put the fans on the cooler yourself when you unbox anyway). All they do is take the fan clip off and move the fan two fins across on the heat sink and clip it back on. You'd have to have a case which is wide enough to accommodate the cooler and a couple of mm more again.

Im going to be using the assassin 3 but my system will be from scratch so I will have the option to get low profile ram sticks to counteract this issue.

Also do some research on thermal paste. I think Linus mentioned kryonaut so I'll be replacing the thermal paste with that aswell which should even out any differences for you if you have to move the fan a couple of mm.

Last edited:
Well after watching videos on YouTube of people using the two coolers I mentioned (NHD15 and Assassin 3) on i9-9900k's it seems that they just moved the fan a couple of mm off of the cooler towards the outside of the case (you put the fans on the cooler yourself when you unbox anyway). All they do is take the fan clip off and move the fan two fins across on the heat sink and clip it back on. You'd have to have a case which is wide enough to accommodate the cooler and a couple of mm more again.

Im going to be using the assassin 3 but my system will be from scratch so I will have the option to get low profile ram sticks to counteract this issue.

Also do some research on thermal paste. I think Linus mentioned kryonaut so I'll be replacing the thermal paste with that aswell which should even out any differences for you if you have to move the fan a couple of mm.
Thank you! Very clear post. Think I'm leaning towards the dark rock pro 4 or assassin 3 for my next build (probably 10700K, as I don't think the 5800X will deliver performance worth a £70 premium). By replacing thermal paste, do you mean that some coolers come with thermal paste already, but it's better to buy your own superior stuff?

Back
Top Bottom