• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
AMD is still the value king with Zen 3

I'm convinced the people complaining are Intel fanboys who need some justification for their brand falling by the way side

I say the pricing may be jacked. (I still want to see if Zen 3 money is faster than Zen 2 money...or not)

...And I built my rig around a 3800X / X570 board.

*If* Zen 3 beats Zen 2 at everything and every price point, then AMD's pricing will be justified. If it doesn't, then I think that makes Zen 3 overpriced.

Soldato
But it seems if this AMD hype is to be believed, AMD doesn't really have any competition until Intel can finally move to 10nm properly. Their current 10th gen seems stagnant on core clock speed, which is all they have currently over AMD. AMD realising this can then just increase pricing, as not much competition.

We have had competition since at least Zen 2. "Competition" doesn't mean that no one wins or loses. Zen 2 competed well but lost by a little in low-resolution gaming. Zen2 was still beating Intel in most productivity applications. This is what competition looks like.

Even now that Intel appears to have lost the gaming crown they still are close enough to "compete". They are just on the losing side of the competition now.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
The entry-level, poorest quality X570 mobos were something like £200 or thereabouts on release. The half-decent X570 mobos were £300+. A lot of X570 mobos were up into the £600s.
What, my mobo is not poor? It is very good actually and it was under £200. You are saying it is not half decent?

What do the more expensive mobo’s offer that is essential or make a big difference over my X570 Aorus Elite?

Damn I was going to go AMD this time but not sure if I can handle calculating Pi less slowly than I could be.
Lol. Some people will never be happy and always look for something.

AMD makes a mistake with this release - I guess this is a reason why Mark Papermaster looked so nervous on the stage two days ago.
Their biggest mistake is not hiring you :p

Soldato
Imo both the 6 and 8 core SKUs need £50 shaving off to bring them in line with the price increases seen at the other core counts.

I'm just being realistic, I doubt AMD were using a 5.3 all core 10900K in the comparison slides so it will be very interesting to see the real benchmarks.

Why are you so determined. Do you have intel and are sour.

Competition, growth, and prices will come down.

Win win I say

Last edited:
Caporegime
I would have preferred Zen 3 to have less performance and kept the original pricing as it was the pricing that made ryzen so good but now it's just becoming Intel Mk2.
You wish they had kept less performance and a lower price... So basically a Zen2? Jesus, these price increase posts are becoming increasingly daft and childish if we are now actually wishing a generational CPU increase was lower performance.

Permabanned
The 5600x is "low end" now is it :D

What is 6 cores compared to 12 cores or 16 cores?
In the 5000 lineup there is no lower low-end than the 6-core Ryzen 5 5600X.

Re: the earlier comments about comparing a maxed Intel system (like 10600k 5ghz) vs. the 5600X that would be very interesting to see. As all the comparisons in AMD keynote were at stock settings afaik.
On the one hand I want Intel to lose, as it's Intel, but also concerned AMD will become like Intel and just ramp prices up as they can.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £580.46 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Total: £545.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)

On purely pricing things are very close, but could save a bit on either system with different cooling or motherboard tier for AMD. Motherboard options chosen as they have best budget VRMs.​

How are things close when you put so expensive DIY cooler for the Intel system? :confused:

Right is:

Total: £470.38 (includes shipping: £10.50)

vs.

Total: £535.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Permabanned
The prices are crazy i am considering waiting till Q1. A six core for £289? I fully expected an eight core that is still expensive. What happened to the PC market?!?!

In my day i would have awesome cpus like the £55 AMD 2500M Barton Mobile that overclocked crazy on a desktop board. I had the P3 800 at 933mhz. I had the E6300 nothing here is anywhere near to what i wanted or expected. I wanted an 8 core for £260 and a 16 core for £499. I think that is fair but not anymore. People are buying as well and ruining the market the same BTL landlords i guess who buy the 3090? :) ;)

I do poke fun in jest there, But totally serious about the bad pricing.

Caporegime
The prices are crazy i am considering waiting till Q1. A six core for £289? I fully expected an eight core that is still expensive. What happened to the PC market?!?!

In my day i would have awesome cpus like the £55 AMD 2500M Barton Mobile that overclocked crazy on a desktop board. I had the P3 800 at 933mhz. I had the E6300 nothing here is anywhere near to what i wanted or expected. I wanted an 8 core for £260 and a 16 core for £499. I think that is fair but not anymore. People are buying as well and ruining the market the same BTL landlords i guess who buy the 3090? :) ;)

Agreed that it is seriously bad pricing in the way they have positioned the 5600x and 5800x... but it useful an an exercise in realising that AMD are a soulless corporation just like Intel who want to make as much money as possible at our expense. They are not a force for good, they do not have our best interest at heart, they just want to be in a dominant market position and provide maximum return to shareholders. If anything, the pressure on AMD to squeeze all the profits they can is only increasing given how much the share price has exploded in the last 12 months.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Agreed that it is seriously bad pricing in the way they have positioned the 5600x and 5700x... but it useful an an exercise in realising that AMD are a soulless corporation just like Intel who want to make as much money as possible at our expense. They are not a force for good, they do not have our best interest at heart, they just want to be in a dominant market position and provide maximum return to shareholders. If anything, the pressure on AMD to squeeze all the profits they can is only increasing given how much the share price has exploded in the last 12 months.

Totally and i noticed as well they now have the whole line overclocked where there is not that much headroom. The best i ever had was a 37% overclock on the i5 3570k at 4700mhz and it was a cheapish cpu. Try getting 37% from Ryzen 5000...

Maybe we were spoiled?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

I think we will see more cores for Zen 4. Like say 8 core will go $299. This gen is more improving performance and changing for it. So little to no improvement in price for performance it seems. But prices will come down slowly.

I grabbed a 3600 nearly a year ago brand new for around £180. That was a good buy and will last me until I can grab a 5900X from a BTL landlord who sells it for £250-£300 in 12-18 months time :p

Soldato
I think we will see more cores for Zen 4. Like say 8 core will go $299. This gen is more improving performance and changing for it. So little to no improvement in price for performance it seems. But prices will come down slowly.

I grabbed a 3600 nearly a year ago brand new for around £180. That was a good buy and will last me until I can grab a 5900X from a BTL landlord who sells it for £250-£300 in 12-18 months time :p

Well know that 4xSMT is coming that can negate any need for more cores until Intel shows up.

So actually I don't think Zen 4 will necessarily have more cores when a 8 core Zen 4 CPU will have 32 threads.

Even though AMD can easily give desktop users 24 cores or maybe more, it's going to only do so when Intel catches up in multithreaded performance and right now Intel's 2021 road map shows no CPUs higher than 8 core... so yeah and leaks say Intel isn't making new X series CPUs in 2021 - that means Intel has completely forfeited all multi core and productivity market to AMD

Permabanned

Doubtful my 4770k @4100mhz will last to Zen4 lol, My 2080ti i am happy with but the rest needs replaced asap i still use my 256gb Crucial M4 i had it at preorder for £400 all them years ago as it was new back then. Now i cannot even install warzone but buying a new 1tb would be foolish i need to replace the entire insides soon. :(

Soldato
Tbh rrp doesn’t matter a jot it’s what they actually sell for at retailers.

maybe this is AMDs way of stemming initial demand so they don’t end up in a 3080 situation and we’ll see price drops once available stock levels are higher.
I don’t believe there is a great amount of production capacity available for these chips given it’s made on the same process as ps5 and new Xbox. Smart move from amd if that’s the case. Still make the same profit margin off fewer cpus and give up extra capacity to two of your biggest customers to keep that pot sweet

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Doubtful my 4770k @4100mhz will last to Zen4 lol, My 2080ti i am happy with but the rest needs replaced asap i still use my 256gb Crucial M4 i had it at preorder for £400 all them years ago as it was new back then. Now i cannot even install warzone but buying a new 1tb would be foolish i need to replace the entire insides soon. :(
Why not get a good cooler and OC that baby to at least 4.5GHz? Or did you badly lose at the silicon lottery?

My 4770K which I sold to upgrade to my Ryzen 3600 overclocked to 4.7GHz and was used at that 24/7 for over 6 years until I sold it.

You can also keep an eye on members market and grab a cheap Ryzen 3600/3700 to tied you over until the 5900X gets cheaper. I recommend grabbing a b550 or a X570 (under £200) and you are set for a very long time.

Permabanned
Why not get a good cooler and OC that baby to at least 4.5GHz? Or did you badly lose at the silicon lottery?

My 4770K which I sold to upgrade to my Ryzen 3600 overclocked to 4.7GHz and was used at that 24/7 for over 6 until I sold it.

You can also keep an eye on members market and grab a cheap Ryzen 3600/3700 to tied you over until the 5900X gets cheaper. I recommend grabbing a b550 or a X570 (under £200) and you are set for a very long time.

Kinda lost on the lotto it will crash at 4.4 and it would do 4.3 but started to bsod about 4 months ago so i backed down to 4.1 and it is stable again. If i can get a 3570k to 4.7 its the chip not me. I also never buy used goods so i will have to think hard i really wanted 8 or 16 cores plus a 980pro 2tb and 16gb of ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom