• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
What is 6 cores compared to 12 cores or 16 cores?
In the 5000 lineup there is no lower low-end than the 6-core Ryzen 5 5600X.

How do you know there won't be a low end?

It looks to me like AMD have done something similar to what Nvidia do; announce 3090, 3080, 3070 and then announce the low end at a later date.

I suspect AMD will release a 5600, 5300, 5200 and 5100 after Christmas.

Caporegime
How do you know there won't be a low end?

It looks to me like AMD have done something similar to what Nvidia do; announce 3090, 3080, 3070 and then announce the low end at a later date.

I suspect AMD will release a 5600, 5300, 5200 and 5100 after Christmas.
I think there is a good chance of this, otherwise the 3100x and 3300x would be in mass production as value options. The alternative is that they have nothing at the low-end in the Zen3 range and Intel will sweep up that market share.

Associate
I guess all the guys who complain of prices going up should never get a pay rise ? Wouldn’t be fair to get paid more for doing the same job or even 20% more of a job as fair would be to be paid the same by your logic. As with anything their staff will get a pay rise the cost of parts/materials will have increased with COVID they probably had to hire extra staff to cover people going off. It all adds up plus the fact they have produced something better I think adding a little bit more to the price is fair why should they lose out so you gain ?

Permabanned
I guess all the guys who complain of prices going up should never get a pay rise ? Wouldn’t be fair to get paid more for doing the same job or even 20% more of a job as fair would be to be paid the same by your logic. As with anything their staff will get a pay rise the cost of parts/materials will have increased with COVID they probably had to hire extra staff to cover people going off. It all adds up plus the fact they have produced something better I think adding a little bit more to the price is fair why should they lose out so you gain ?

AMD has no market position currently with all the large OEMs shipping only Intel systems for the office PCs at the corporations to dictate the pricing and be a premium brand when there is still very weak recognition.

AMD sales volumes are only 20% of the total.

Soldato
The prices are crazy i am considering waiting till Q1. A six core for £289? I fully expected an eight core that is still expensive. What happened to the PC market?!?!

In my day i would have awesome cpus like the £55 AMD 2500M Barton Mobile that overclocked crazy on a desktop board. I had the P3 800 at 933mhz. I had the E6300 nothing here is anywhere near to what i wanted or expected. I wanted an 8 core for £260 and a 16 core for £499. I think that is fair but not anymore. People are buying as well and ruining the market the same BTL landlords i guess who buy the 3090? :) ;)

I do poke fun in jest there, But totally serious about the bad pricing.

I don't think the 5600x is a serious chip, same as the 3600x, anyone with 2 brain cells bought the 3600.

Soldato
The performance is improved. The price to performance isn't, yet.

Say what?

3900x price:$499
5900x price: $549

Price increase: 10%
Gaming performance increase: 26%

The dollar per frame is literately cheaper for Zen 3, why do people keep saying its value is worse than Zen 2, insane.

I'm convinced that some people just can't read.

Permabanned
Say what?

3900x price:$499
5900x price: $549

Price increase: 10%
Gaming performance increase: 26%

The dollar per frame is literately cheaper for Zen 3, why do people keep saying its value is worse than Zen 2, insane.

I'm convinced that some people just can't read.

3900X includes a stock cooler, so minus 15-20$, or $479-484.

Also, you can't increase the pricing with every generation that increases the performance.
If it had been so, by now the CPUs would have cost dozens of thousands of dollars.

Associate
not tech heavy, but i currently have a ryzen 9 3900x and hope to go for a new 5000 chip, thinking on 5950x, i dont overclock, would the 3900x at base clock 3.80ghz perform better than the new chip ? which base clock is slower at 3.40, or does the new chip still outperform the 3900x because its all new hardware, and the difference wont matter ?

Permabanned
Your deluded if you think any of that 2021 stuff will be on time, and by the time they do have it out AMD will already be even further ahead

AMD won't be ahead, there will be Zen 3+ or Warhol that will be only XT versions of the current Zen 3 lineup.
Zen 4 APUs will be 2022. There will be no Zen 4 regular desktop chips in 2022.
Rocket Lake is March 2021, officially confirmed by Intel.

Alder Lake will bring DDR5 and PCIe 5 sooner than AMD's Zen 4.

ljt

ljt

Soldato

I dont get 10-20% pay rises every year. Not many people i know do either. Its normally 1-3%. Some years people don't get any rise, especially this year with whats going on.

So if they upped the prices by 3% I wouldn't mind so much, but they have risen far more than that.

Soldato
AMD won't be ahead, there will be Zen 3+ or Warhol that will be only XT versions of the current Zen 3 lineup.
Zen 4 APUs will be 2022. There will be no Zen 4 regular desktop chips in 2022.
Rocket Lake is March 2021, officially confirmed by Intel.

Alder Lake will bring DDR5 and PCIe 5 sooner than AMD's Zen 4.

Rocket Lake-S will certainly be on time, after all it's just another 14nm rehash. The chances of Alder Lake-S being on time is is a big fat ZERO, which in turn means that Meteor Lake-S will be lucky to see the light of day before 2024.
By that time Zen 4 will be on it's first re-fresh.

Soldato
Nah I'm perfectly happy having a moan thanks, put me on ignore if you don't want to read my posts
The same people were moaning and mocking Intel and Nvidia eternally for their pricing and tactics. It's really telling when the AMD Reddit is more disappointed with the pricing than here. Let's see if AMD adjust pricing nearer to launch and says it was part of their Jebaiting master plan? :p

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Are you moaning about the price, or the fact they haven't released a 5700X?

A bit of both really, mainly aimed at the lower 2 announced Sku's

The 5900x and upwards aren't too bad in price, the rise in price is a smaller proportion of their overall cost. Its also a part of the market far less sensitive to price.

5800x is a larger rise in proportion, but this could be counteracted with a 5700x offering the same chip just clocked lower/lower tdp at a similar cost to 3700x

The 5600x has the largest price rise, ironically in the most price sensitive part of the market, its a very odd move by AMD. Perhaps they might release a 5600 non x, lets hope so.

And personally I dont call it moaning, to me its more about pointing out something I dont think is right, but if people want to interpret that as moaning then go ahead I dont really care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom