• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Theres not much difference between the 3080 and 3090, if AMD have something that is beating the 3090 is it not unreasonable to expect them to cut it down to compete with the 3080?
There is zero evidence that AMD have anything beating the 3090. Like, nothing. All we have seen is a card roughly on a par with a 3080.

To then suggest there are going to be a £900 part (50% more expensive than the entry level high end part) that will fill the 10% performance gap between the 3080 and 3090, and then in addition a £1200 part that will exceed the 3090 is just baffling as to where that logic comes from.

To read this thrad, anyone would think Nvidia were the performance underdogs rather than a benchmark to beat.

Associate
There is zero evidence that AMD have anything beating the 3090. Like, nothing. All we have seen is a card roughly on a par with a 3080.

To then suggest there are going to be a £900 part (50% more expensive than the entry level high end part) that will fill the 10% performance gap between the 3080 and 3090, and then in addition a £1200 part that will exceed the 3090 is just baffling as to where that logic comes from.

To read this thrad, anyone would think Nvidia were the performance underdogs rather than a benchmark to beat.

If you beat the current high end and its £1500, is it unreasonable to expect £1200 as you offer more raster perf but lack in other features?

Just saying if AMD has some halo card with 3090 beating performance with an AIO and the absolute best silicon its going to be expensive but still cheaper than Nvidia.

The point is if AMD are actually meeting and beating Nvidia this gen they are going to be cheaper but not by much.

Or are you convinced that AMD only has a top end card that is only within 10% of the 3080 as shown on the zen3 reveal?

Soldato

Well they have shot their load, and it's very underwhelming.

Caporegime
If you beat the current high end and its £1500, is it unreasonable to expect £1200 as you offer more raster perf but lack in other features?

Just saying if AMD has some halo card with 3090 beating performance with an AIO and the absolute best silicon its going to be expensive but still cheaper than Nvidia.

The point is if AMD are actually meeting and beating Nvidia this gen they are going to be cheaper but not by much.

Or are you convinced that AMD only has a top end card that is only within 10% of the 3080 as shown on the zen3 reveal?
In a lack of ANY other evidence suggesitng otherwise, leaked or otherwise, I am convinced that the 6900XT was the card they showed the benchmarks for and will be the flagship. I will also be happy to be proven wrong.

If it is priced lower than it is absolutely not disappointing, it is impressive. I don't know why all the wild optimists are predicting better performance than Nvidia when it wouldn't even be reasonable to expect it. Again, I will be happy to be proven wrong at the reveal.

Last edited:
Associate

Performance just 5-10% under 3080 underwhelming? Not in my opinion. First true 4K card that AMD has made.

Its a great jump from the buggy 5700xt, and inefficient Radeon VII just under 1.5 years. But people always expect too much.
They expect AMD to close a 5 generation loss in one season vs Nvidia. They expect a 3090 killer card for 799£ or a 3080 killer card for 499£.
And then, they then get disappointed and cry when it doesn't happen, well they weren't realistic in the first place.

Price and availability is the key now. As I have said before, performance is secondary.

Associate
In a lack of ANY other evidence suggesitng otherwise, leaked or otherwise, I am convinced that the 6900XT was the card they showed the benchmarks for and will be the flagship. I will also be happy to be proven wrong.

If the 6900XT equals

If it is priced lower than it is absolutel not disappointing, it is impressive. I don't know why all the wild optimists are predicting better performance than Nvidia when it wouldn't even be reasonable to expect it. Again, I will be happy to be proven wrong at the reveal.

Maybe the fact Nvidia rushed their launch, has zero stock, cards almost at their limit out of the box, price reduced hugely and little difference between their top end and the 3080.

Ontop of that AMD showing within 10% performance without actually stating its their top end product.

I think AMD spooked Nvidia coupled with Samsungs node being junk, AMD has closed the gap.

Soldato
If the 6900XT equals

If it is priced lower than it is absolutel not disappointing, it is impressive. I don't know why all the wild optimists are predicting better performance than Nvidia when it wouldn't even be reasonable to expect it. Again, I will be happy to be proven wrong at the reveal.
No, I meant Nvidia have shot their load and it's underwhelming, the availability, the 10% performance improvement for 2x money etc

Performance just 5-10% under 3080 underwhelming? Not in my opinion. First true 4K card that AMD has made.

Its a great jump from the buggy 5700xt, and inefficient Radeon VII just under 1.5 years. But people always expect too much.
They expect AMD to close a 5 generation loss in one season vs Nvidia. They expect a 3090 killer card for 799£ or a 3080 killer card for 499£.
And then, they then get disappointed and cry when it doesn't happen, well they weren't realistic in the first place.

Price and availability is the key now. As I have said before, performance is secondary.

Nar nvidia, not amd :p

Caporegime
Maybe the fact Nvidia rushed their launch, has zero stock, cards almost at their limit out of the box, price reduced hugely and little difference between their top end and the 3080.

Ontop of that AMD showing within 10% performance without actually stating its their top end product.

I think AMD spooked Nvidia coupled with Samsungs node being junk, AMD has closed the gap.
Ok, I can see this is more about hopes and dreams than realism, so lets just agree to disagree and then we can take another look when more info is leaked.

No, I meant Nvidia have shot their load and it's underwhelming, the availability, the 10% performance improvement for 2x money etc

Agreed, the 3090 is a joke and I do feel some automatic level of pity for anyone who bought one (never mind two of them...).

The 3080 objectively isn't bad though.

Last edited:
Soldato
The consoles actually make for a interesting method to analyze RDNA2's IPC improvements.

The Xbox Series S is a 4tflop RDNA2 machine.
The Xbox One X is a 6tflop GCN machine.

Now we've had a few developers say what resolutions games will run at and most so far on the Series S will run at 1080p 60fps or 1440p 30fps.
However the One X usually doesn't need to drop that low - most games run at 4k 30fps or 1800p 30fps.

So it's clear that 6tflop of GCN is faster than 4tflop of RDNA2, but can we figure out how much RDNA2 has improved over 1?
Why, yes - RDNA1 as published by AMD was a 25% improvement over GCN. Now given the remaining difference between the Series S and One X, it would appear that RDNA2's IPC is under 20% improvement over RDNA1 - where it becomes difficult is trying to guess the exact number - but it is under 20%

Soldato

I don't think the 3080 is underwhelming... the 3090 definitely is given the tiny gains for huge cost.

I would be quite happy to pick up a 3080 for the £650 rrp, at the £750-850ish they are going for at the moment I can definitely wait.... well i say "going for", but that would require actually receiving one lol.

All AMD really have to do for me personally is give me 3080 level performance at a reasonable price and a card that's actually available... then they can have my money. If they can beat the 3080 and it doesn't cost an insane amount more then they might get more of my money.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think the 3080 is underwhelming... the 3090 definitely is given the tiny gains for huge cost.

I would be quite happy to pick up a 3080 for the £650 rrp

Go on then, fill ya boots!

at the £750-850ish they are going for at the moment I can definitely wait.... well i say "going for", but that would require actually receiving one lol.

Ow, what a disappointment :p

Associate
Think I’d happily switch to AMD if the new GPU gets within 10% of the 3080 at a lower price point...but both my monitors are G-Sync ..and as far as I’m aware (please correct me if wrong) only the very latest g-sync modules are able to use adaptive sync ‘naturally’ therefore allowing a freesync card enjoy the benefits of adaptive sync on a gsync monitor. So locked into nvidia unless i replace monitor too!

Associate
Benchmarks from the Zen 3 presentation now with more benches compared.

Averages: -2,32%, -5,76% and +2,37% vs. RTX 3080

Ej_nb10XsAIJ6Ka

https://twitter.com/planet3dnow/status/1315028334355591168

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Ok, I can see this is more about hopes and dreams than realism, so lets just agree to disagree and then we can take another look when more info is leaked.

Agreed, the 3090 is a joke and I do feel some automatic level of pity for anyone who bought one (never mind two of them...).

The 3080 objectively isn't bad though.

I cant work out if Richdog is sane, or whether he's the Robin to Rroff (being Batman)? Sometimes you guys post sense then other times your coming across as a murky world of bitter anti-AMD-ness which is why I can see you are labelled as fanboys. This then distorts the threads to appear to be AMD vs nvidia which is what were trying our best not to let it slip into..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom