Winter Tyres ?

Soldato
Hello,

I need some new rear tyres for my Xsara Picasso 04 plate.

i’ve ordered a couple of Avon WT7’s to be fitted next week, at ATS for £80

But i’ve seen they are snow tyres, will the be pretty pants in our british weather ? It don’t snow much if at all. So i’m thinking maybe they are overkill and i’ll have issues in the dry or even wet roads ?

The front of my car was recently fitted with Michelin Primacy 4’s and i don’t intend on changing them.

Associate
get the normal ones id also think about different brand i heard avon arent the best value and i had one come apart on the m25 once which was pretty scary ha ha

i had winter tyres on my astra when i got it and the road noise was horrid too

Soldato
I had Avon winters a few years back, and they were fine enough as winter tyres, good enough in most winter conditions, but man did they wear out quickly. Lucky if I got 8k out of them over 2 seasons.

As said above, I'd likely change to a different brand while changing to summer tyres. You could change to all seasons, but I suspect Oxford doesn't really get too harsh winters either.

Pence per mile you are probably cheapest with Michelin or Goodyear, with the added bonus of them likely being excellent tyres too. So I'd probably change them for another pair of the Primacy 4's you have on the other axel. They probably aren't THAT much more expensive, but I suspect they will last 2 or 3 times longer.

Soldato
OP
185/65/R15

The Primacy 4’s are now £68.99 each.

Budget are £39.99 each

The Avon ZT7’s are on offer and come in at £78.98 for a pair so are even cheaper than the budget.
But i do love how most people here are looking down there nose at me cos its an old Picasso.

Didn’t realise you need an expensive car or a pretty flash one to get advice in here.

Soldato
I’d get the Primacys for the sake of an extra £29 each. How many miles do you do a year? You’ll possibly get 40-60k out of them.

Soldato
185/65/R15

Budget are £39.99 each

The Avon ZT7’s are on offer and come in at £78.98 for a pair so are even cheaper than the budget.
But i do love how most people here are looking down there nose at me cos its an old Picasso.

Didn’t realise you need an expensive car or a pretty flash one to get advice in here.

I think you've missed the point. Posters on here aren't disrespecting your car, they're trying to tell you that spending the extra £60 on the better tyres could well save your life (and that of your passengers). Oddly, there is the thought that because you never drive the wheels off your car you don't need 'quality' tyres. The fact is that quality in this respect is literally a life-saver and you should find the extra money if you can.

When the question of the size of the wheels was discussed it was because the difference in price on a 15" tyre is fairly small compared to a 19" or 20" tyre where it can be hundreds of pounds extra to go from an Avon to Michelin brand tyre.

Soldato
185/65/R15

Budget are £39.99 each

I’m just trying to save you a few quid. I have a 2017 Duster and a 2008 Megane parked outside. Both shod with decent, but not top-end 4 season tyres as it’s all muddy B roads around here in winter.

Soldato
I put my Vredstein Wintrac's on at the weekend. I think these are now called 'Snowtracks'.

Worlds apart from P4S's I use in the summer obviously. The difference is notable but whether I find them to be an improvement I'm unsure but the added confidence that the compound should perform better, that said the wet rating is the same with poorer economy which probably offsets any cost saving :p

However for lower temperatures, icy conditions and on the off chance we do have snow I feel slightly more assured.

Soldato
185/65/R15

Budget are £39.99 each

Goodyear Efficient Grips are £39.99 each at Costco just now. They will be a MUCH better tyre than the Avons. I'd still prefer to have matching tyres all round, but if money really is that tight, then these would work much better.

https://www.costco.co.uk/Tyres-Auto...-R15-92-T-EFFICIENTGRIP-COMPACT/tire/p/428341

Back
Top Bottom