• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
the 5900X offers 19% perrformance for 10% price increase so there is nothing wrong with that imo.

Now looking at the 6 core segment the 5600X would need to retail for for £209 to offer the same performance increase with a 10% increase over zen 2 pricing and in the 8 core section the 5800X would need to retail £363
If you listen to certain posters the answer is just to pony up for the 5900X. Why wouldn't anyone just pay 2.5x what they budgeted for?

Certain people have no ability to see things from any perspective than their own, in their own bubble where they pay whatever the asking price might be.

Soldato
I`m wondering iof this worth considering an upgrade from a 8700K 5ghz de lidded and binned on air (Noctua D15) 16 GB 3200 system. to one of these with 32GB paired with a 3080. Mainly for Iracing wanting best single core performance and for VR Index and G2 when arrives. Perhaps a 5900x or 5800x. I dont know much about these boost clocks at moment. wondering if I could overclock to 5GHZ on all cores is realistic with regard to temps. Could they be de lidded, would they need to?
There is no chance you would get anywhere near 5ghz on all cores with ryzen, you would be lucky to get an all core of 4.4

Man of Honour
the 5900X offers 19% perrformance for 10% price increase so there is nothing wrong with that imo.

Now looking at the 6 core segment the 5600X would need to retail for for £209 to offer the same performance increase with a 10% increase over zen 2 pricing and in the 8 core section the 5800X would need to retail £363

3600x retails between £200 to £220 a 10% price increase is + £20 to £22. Making the 5600x £220 to £222.

Soldato
If you listen to certain posters the answer is just to pony up for the 5900X. Why wouldn't anyone just pay 2.5x what they budgeted for?

Certain people have no ability to see things from any perspective than their own, in their own bubble where they pay whatever the asking price might be.
Yeah I would be over the moon if I was intending to buy the 12 core this time around.

Caporegime
Yeah I would be over the moon if I was intending to buy the 12 core this time around.
Yeah it's a very nice chip with the highest value for money in the whole range.

Which goes against all logic. The people buying at the top end don't even care about value for money, lol.

The people who care about vfm are the mid- and low-end buyers, and they got shafted with the highest % price increases. Go figure!

Caporegime
Yeah it's a very nice chip with the highest value for money in the whole range.

Which goes against all logic. The people buying at the top end don't even care about value for money, lol.

The people who care about vfm are the mid- and low-end buyers, and they got shafted with the highest % price increases. Go figure!
The 3600x was $249 on release....the 5600x is $299 on release....it’s a $50 price bump across all SKU...

You can’t compare today’s pricing of 3600x against 5600x.....price drops occurs when the new gen hit the shelves...

You have to compare the release pricing for each Gen...

Soldato
3600x retails between £200 to £220 a 10% price increase is + £20 to £22. Making the 5600x £220 to £222.
This is where AMDs cleaver marketing has come in to make you think the 5600X is the 3600X replacement when it's actually the 3600 non X replacement looking at the TDP and included cooler. It's the same as when they changed the 2700 non X to the 3700X.

Permabanned
The 3600x was $249 on release....the 5600x is $299 on release....it’s a $50 price bump across all SKU...

You can’t compare today’s pricing of 3600x against 5600x.....price drops occurs when the new gen hit the shelves...

This is where AMDs cleaver marketing has come in to make you think the 5600X is the 3600X replacement when it's actually the 3600 non X replacement looking at the TDP and included cooler. It's the same as when they changed the 2700 non X to the 3700X.

In which case the price jump from Ryzen 5 3600 to Ryzen 5 5600X is $100 or 50%.

Caporegime

I see you're just copy/pasting now across threads. And missing the point in all of them.

Soldato
The 5600 does not exist so it’s not a valid comparison....

Clearly it does but they have just stuck an X on the end.

Ryzen 5 1600 65w, 2600 65w, 3600 65w, 5600X 65w

ryzen 5 1600X 95W, 2600X 95w, 3600X 95w, # if it was a 3600X replacement then this is where it would reside.

Last edited:
Associate
Hmm, dropped by to read this thread - 17% ipc gain - seems interesting?

nope : a couple of hundred pages of of ooh, never going to buy that, it's **.** too much. Shame on AMD. Taking customers for a ride, end of the world.

So, AMD come out with a pretty good chip (a poke in the eye for Intel). Then AMD have the audacity to poke Intel in the other eye and take away the only thing Intel has got left, price. No more 'I pay Intels higher price because it's the best' brigade. Intel now is the cheap outdated option. That hurts the Intel fan club HARD.
AMD will sell all they can make regardless. They have more customers to service than just DIYers and after all, there is no better x86 chip.

Caporegime

nope : a couple of hundred pages of of ooh, never going to buy that, it's **.** too much. Shame on AMD. Taking customers for a ride, end of the world.

So, AMD come out with a pretty good chip (a poke in the eye for Intel). Then AMD have the audacity to poke Intel in the other eye and take away the only thing Intel has got left, price. No more 'I pay Intels higher price because it's the best' brigade. Intel now is the cheap outdated option. That hurts the Intel fan club HARD.
AMD will sell all they can make regardless. They have more customers to service than just DIYers and after all, there is no better x86 chip.
Which chip are you talking about.. they released 4. The 5900X is generally agreed to be great value, the 5600X poor value.

The situation is not quite what you describe.

Permabanned

In many applications (Office, Photoshop, Premiere, MP3 encoding, Super Pi, etc...) it will still be lagging behind Intel's CPUs - this is the reason why every single OEM and corporation uses Intel for its office PCs and notebooks.

Associate
What is 6 cores compared to 12 cores or 16 cores?
In the 5000 lineup there is no lower low-end than the 6-core Ryzen 5 5600X.
How are things close when you put so expensive DIY cooler for the Intel system? :confused:

You've chosen a terrible motherboard and a cooler that won't be able to hold a 5ghz+ overclock at good temps. Good try though I guess. Genuinely think you're a troll.

Associate
In many applications (Office, Photoshop, Premiere, MP3 encoding, Super Pi, etc...) it will still be lagging behind Intel's CPUs - this is the reason why every single OEM and corporation uses Intel for its office PCs and notebooks.
Glad to know you have first hand knowledge of the Zen 3 benchmarks before the NDA. OEM's use Intel because . . . . . things will change

Permabanned
Glad to know you have first hand knowledge of the Zen 3 benchmarks before the NDA. OEM's use Intel because . . . . . things will change

The things will change.... eventually, but definitely not with Ryzen 5000 ;)

If it was more aggressive with performance uplift across the Ryzen 3 and Ryzen 5 tiers, maybe yes.

Soldato
I think the reason why we didn't see a 600 series mobo is the following:

1. Branding. 500 series boards. 5000 series chips.
2. Over saturating the market with yet more mobos. It exhausts the consumer in some ways as a new series of boards every year starts to become overwhelming.
3. Probably unnecessary too. As there was not much they needed to improve on the 500 range boards.

And in this regards the cpus are quite similar. I don't think AMD needed to refresh the 3000 series at all. Which is why we are seeing slightly higher prices. Because the 3000 chips are still relevant buys. So I think AMD have added a little extra on the 5000 series price just as a luxury.

And yes at first glance the 5900x seems the best priced product strangely. Or at least without working out the maths it seemed like you was getting more cores/threads for less % additional £££.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom