***The Official Home Recording Studio Thread***

Soldato
Already posted in the things purchased thread, but this thread was a bit of inspiration. Been having so much fun jsut mucking about I havnt really started anything of note on it.

A lot of mini studio stuff, a few weeks worth of deliveries here.
Fruity Loops 20 Software ( lots of fun)
PreSonus Eris E3.5 Speakers
Pronomic SLS15 Table Stands
Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Studio Headphones - 250 Ohm
Fiio K5 PRO DAC
Logitech MX Keys Keyboard

3eHZP78.jpg

Soldato
What kind of music are you making and what made you go for Fruity loops over Ableton Live?
No reason, was mucking about with the free version got into learning it properly, does everything, ni particular style, but would be electronic heavy, have my grades in piano and the piano roll worked well for me. Hard learning curve but very rewarding.
Also, they have changed the name to FL Studio, I feel FL got a bad rep for no real reason other than being a very entry level DAW about 20 years ago, those who still hold it in that regard haven't looked at it recently and seen what it is capable of now.

Last edited:
Soldato
Went down to check my flat hadn't been invaded by mice, mould, or migrants at the weekend. Didn't need to be lugging deadweight back while wearing a mask, but... couldn't resist bringing this old friend back with me. Plan is to use it as a mixing desk for my guitar and mic fumblings.

It will no doubt prove a noisy, pointless exercise, but I hate chucking stuff out if it still works. I also hate remembering how much I paid for it, and the stress of taking back to the Yamaha store (IIRC) in London to get it sent off because they messed up CrO2 tape handling for some reason.

IMqzAF5.jpg

Man of Honour
Went down to check my flat hadn't been invaded by mice, mould, or migrants at the weekend. Didn't need to be lugging deadweight back while wearing a mask, but... couldn't resist bringing this old friend back with me. Plan is to use it as a mixing desk for my guitar and mic fumblings.

It will no doubt prove a noisy, pointless exercise, but I hate chucking stuff out if it still works. I also hate remembering how much I paid for it, and the stress of taking back to the Yamaha store (IIRC) in London to get it sent off because they messed up CrO2 tape handling for some reason.

IMqzAF5.jpg

On Sep 26th 1980 I bought a Tascam 144 Portastudio for £599 and it was the first Tascam model made.
I remember the date because I got married the following day :)

Soldato
On Sep 26th 1980 I bought a Tascam 144 Portastudio for £599
On my next trip I hope to retrieve this 1980 13w (that's proper Watts, not yer modern pretend Watts) monster. It is destined to be my guitar amp (it has an input for a record deck so it might work). Can't be any worse than the modern Blackstar tat I have, which hums worse than Larry Adler's harmonica.

fyr1cx3.jpg

Sorry kids; old men talking here. We'll forget what we were on about soon and wonder off.

Soldato
Hey all, first time in this thread :)

I've been asked by a friend to look into building him a new PC for his studio, he's currently using a winxp quad core machine with cubase 6 and wavelab 6, he has a M-audio Delta AP192 card in it that is connected to his gear that seems to be well defunct these days. Looks like a breakout box is the way to go now? Any suggestions would be great, also what sort of cpu/memory should I be looking at for running cubase/wavelab 6? I assume pretty much any decent cpu will do it as the current machine works just fine but if he then upgrades to the latest versions he'll want no issues.

Thanks in advance :)

Soldato
Hey all, first time in this thread :)

I've been asked by a friend to look into building him a new PC for his studio, he's currently using a winxp quad core machine with cubase 6 and wavelab 6, he has a M-audio Delta AP192 card in it that is connected to his gear that seems to be well defunct these days. Looks like a breakout box is the way to go now? Any suggestions would be great, also what sort of cpu/memory should I be looking at for running cubase/wavelab 6? I assume pretty much any decent cpu will do it as the current machine works just fine but if he then upgrades to the latest versions he'll want no issues.

Thanks in advance :)

Welcome! How many tracks/plugins is he planning on running? Is he planning to record any vocals/instruments or will it all be created within his DAW?

I'm running a ryzen 3800x, 32gb cl15 and I'm super happy with how pro tools runs on Windows. Much smoother and way less crashes than my 2019 top spec 15" rmbp.

Soldato
SO been messing about in FL Studio now for a bit, and jsut uploading this to see if I'm on the right path, I think I have to delve a lot more into mastering some clicks and pops I still have to identify, so started with a rather simple Trancy track to keep it simple on myself. Any hints tips feed back would love to hear. The bigger picture of it all can be over whelming at some points.

Test Fun

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom