• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Threadripper (Zen 3 59xx Series)

• Thread starter Deleted member 66701
  • Start date

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Ok then - let's start this up. After seeing the spec of the Zen 3 desktop CPUs, I'm excited to see what AMD can bring to the high performance segment.

I reckon we'll start seeing nuggets of info a couple of weeks after 5xxx series desktop CPUs hit retail and a late Feb launch.

So, let's have your predictions, rumours and wants for Threadripper on Zen 3.

Soldato
Wants
Threadripper Pro
16C/32T
3.9ghz all cores
4.4-4.9Ghz boost
120W TDP
ECC Support
80 PCI-LANES
£1200

DREAM (basically less binned chips)
Threadripper
16C/32T
3.5ghz all cores
4.5Ghz boost
120W TDP
no eCC SUPPORT
80 PCI-LANES
£999

For my workflow it does like Cores but prefers really fast I/O (currently have 6 NVME drives on my 2950x)
So would love to be able to add more without issue

Soldato
Probably just the same CPU configurations again with 100 MHz clock bump and price increase, no competition really in this space, outlier apps that 10980XE was better at will just be brute forced by IPC and latency improvements.

5960X 24 core $1499
5970X 32 core $2199
5990X $4199

Would be nice if they did 5955X for $999 so people could get an entry 16 core for people who need I/O this time around.

Associate
I don't know if i'll upgrade, the 3960X does everything I need it do.

But a bit of a single threaded boost wouldn't be bad thing would it. Nobody has to get hurt, but my wallet. These third gen CPUs prices have been quite stable for AMD CPUs, so could sell this for good cash. Maybe a 5970X with 32 cores and a real 4.7 Ghz boost? why not!

AMD are very proud of their 3950x/5950x line, and despite what people want, are reluctant to release a 16 'consumer' 3rd gen threadripper, will it change with 4th gen?? we'll wait and see. Exciting times ahead!

Associate
Probably just the same CPU configurations again with 100 MHz clock bump and price increase, no competition really in this space, outlier apps that 10980XE was better at will just be brute forced by IPC and latency improvements.

In respect to the 'competition', as we call them these days, I think that 10980XE will now be left with just a h265 encodes and other obscure AVX512 workloads over the 5950X let alone threadrippers.

PDW

PDW

Associate
A decent good quality AIO to cool the top end chips that will last and keep things cool 24/7 in the summer months is top of my wish list.

Soldato
Perfect - if I was a nine year old looking for somewhere my barbies could practice their dance moves :p

Didn't see any in-use reviews when I searched but that could be because I'm now blind :eek:
not released just yet but very soon, was anncouced earlier this week but you can always change Fans & turn LED off :)

Associate
I think that it is a good time to remind people just what buying a new 59xxx CPU means. You are 'stuck' with a very weak AM4 chipset. Read the specs, people. ONE pcie x16 socket, max. You can bifurcate it and get two x8's. One xpcie x4 NVME slot. All the rest of the 36 usable PCI/e lanes to to SATA, USB... Via an x4 interlink.

NVME raid 0? Fuhgetaboutit. SLI? Nope, unless you want to cripple your GPUs (or use very old tech). Desktop users don't NEED pcie lanes, according to AMD. As to the next gen Threadrippers... eEither the board mfg's are under a very tight NDA or AMD is not giving them any information, because of the many that I have asked whether the TRX40 chipset will suport the gen 4 threadrippers, none have replied to the positive.

I have a case and most of the watercooling bits to make a new workstation. I really need more HEDT information from AMD. At this point, I cannot even speculate on whether there will be a consumer based version of the gen 4 threadrippers. Worst case for me would be to have to go the X299 MB route.

Associate
I'm near certain there is another generation of Threadrippers for the TRX40. Would AMD screw TRX40 users that hard, that quickly, I sure hope not.

Also they are only competing with themselves in this market. Intel having nothing to offer, not even next year from what I have seen. Icelake is already out of date, although it's great in my surface tablet.

Soldato
I'd love to upgrade to Threadripper 59xx from my old Intel box, but I want to make sure it is a good investment. PCIe lanes and PCIe 4.0 support are important to me. GPU power is less important, though. I could quite happily use my Nvidia 1080Ti from my current computer in the new one. RAM is also important. I need at least 64GB of RAM in my main workstation. The number of threads is also an important factor, so a 24 core CPU would probably be the sweet spot for me. Oh, and even though I use wired Ethernet for networking, I'd still like to see Wifi and Bluetooth on the motherboard. I want a 1TB NVMe drive for my boot disk and say a 2TB NVMe drive for my home partition with a 4TB to 6TB HDD drive for media storage. I use Linux full time. USB4 support would be good also with a decent number of ports (not just one USB4 port, that would not be very good).

Associate
16 Core Zen3 Threadripper @ 180W using the same TRX40 mobo please! ;)
Devs-1.jpg

Caporegime
I think that it is a good time to remind people just what buying a new 59xxx CPU means. You are 'stuck' with a very weak AM4 chipset. Read the specs, people. ONE pcie x16 socket, max. You can bifurcate it and get two x8's. One xpcie x4 NVME slot. All the rest of the 36 usable PCI/e lanes to to SATA, USB... Via an x4 interlink.

NVME raid 0? Fuhgetaboutit. SLI? Nope, unless you want to cripple your GPUs (or use very old tech). Desktop users don't NEED pcie lanes, according to AMD. As to the next gen Threadrippers... eEither the board mfg's are under a very tight NDA or AMD is not giving them any information, because of the many that I have asked whether the TRX40 chipset will suport the gen 4 threadrippers, none have replied to the positive.

I have a case and most of the watercooling bits to make a new workstation. I really need more HEDT information from AMD. At this point, I cannot even speculate on whether there will be a consumer based version of the gen 4 threadrippers. Worst case for me would be to have to go the X299 MB route.

What an odd first post.

Back
Top Bottom