BMW and M Power Owners

Associate
Hi e90 m alloy wheels have started to corrode around centre caps.
Also steering wheel trim has started to bbble and peel.

Anyone had these replaced under the warranty?
What would they.do with the wheels refurb or replace?

Man of Honour
The newest E90 is what, 8 years old? I can't imagine corrosion to wheels of that age will be covered by any warranty. The BMW corrosion warranty doesn't include wheels.

Associate
Yeah though I pay their monthly warranty fee like £55/month so wondered if above was covered before I cancel the warranty.
Advice on approach to take welcome. Over 2 years have claimed for both rear led clusters, spring, and headunit, now barely using the car due to wfh.

Soldato
Yeah though I pay their monthly warranty fee like £55/month so wondered if above was covered before I cancel the warranty.

Extended warranty excludes wheels and trim etc. The factory 3 year warranty covers everything I got 4 new wheels at the end of warranty check for a minor amount of corrosion along with a couple of bits of internal door trim.

Before cancelling your warranty I would book it in for a check they should be a free one if you ask, I expect they will find something to replace likely bushes/suspension

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Advice on approach to take welcome. Over 2 years have claimed for both rear led clusters, spring, and headunit, now barely using the car due to wfh.

The only approach to take is to take them yourself to a decent wheel refurbishment firm and get a good job done. The BMW extended warranty product does not cover this unfortunately. It's fairly clearly stated as an exclusion.

Only the new car warranty would cover this.

Soldato
I wonder if anyone can help with my struggle with adaptive drive or whatever it's called in my 530e. Having done a drive out through wales I found it to be a bit on the annoying side and constantly switching between modes as the road changes.
Sport is good when the road is winding in the mountains, the sport steering and dampers are very nice and the power is always there. Downside is that in this mode the petrol engine is always running, it's always down a gear or two hovering at 2k rpm, and it never uses eDrive. So, once the road opens up it's using extra fuel needlessly.
Comfort is perfect for typical driving, throttle response is good, utilises eDrive fully, but I'm forced to use comfort suspension and steering. I really prefer to have sport all the time tbh, and have the ability to go comfort just for motorway cruising. On a bumpy road it's a bit too floaty on a bumpy road at speed tbh and it gives the other half car sickness.
Eco pro does allow individual settings for steering and suspension so I can have both comfort and sport chassis with eco power management. Good for motorway, but on A roads the lack of power coming off roundabouts etc is annoying, the car is very slow and I get left by everything. On country roads the free coasting on lift is quite disconcerting approaching bends.

Long story short what I want is comfort mode with sport steering and suspension but it doesn't seem possible to set it like this. Can it be coded somehow?

Soldato
I assume you can do this on the 530e, when you flick to Sport mode, there should be an option on the infotainment screen to configure it. Set it to Chassis only and that should do what you're after. On my M140i I like to have it on Drivetrain only as I like the Sport setting for the throttle and gearbox but prefer the lighter steering and softer suspension.

Soldato
Ah yeah so you can do that. Will try it out next time I do a longer drive, hopefully the edrive works the same way it does in comfort mode. Sucks you are stuck with a tacho instead of the more useful power meter though.

Associate
Car still in the garage, they tried a full software update and it failed - they say it needs a new head unit so they are putting it in on Monday/Tuesday

Final update:
When I went back to pick the car up, the dealer actually admitted to me on Saturday that they had over-filled the engine with oil!
Their excuse was that several staff are still furloughed and the apprentice made the mistake.
Then, when they tried to reset the head unit - it went wrong and bricked it = it then needed a new head unit.

I have rejected the car and have pulled out of the sale.....I am awaiting a full refund and will be getting the car back that I put in, in part ex.

Caporegime
Final update:
When I went back to pick the car up, the dealer actually admitted to me on Saturday that they had over-filled the engine with oil!
Their excuse was that several staff are still furloughed and the apprentice made the mistake.
Then, when they tried to reset the head unit - it went wrong and bricked it = it then needed a new head unit.

I have rejected the car and have pulled out of the sale.....I am awaiting a full refund and will be getting the car back that I put in, in part ex.

What absolute **** retailer is that? And why the hell did they lie to you for so long?

Man of Honour
I have rejected the car and have pulled out of the sale.....I am awaiting a full refund and will be getting the car back that I put in, in part ex

When you come to look for another please look for a 330d instead of the old model 430d, it is a much newer more modern and simply better car

Soldato
Well picked up my car today ands its brilliant. Only issue I've found is that the voice button seemingly does nothing. I've emailed the dealership to see what they say, I'm hoping its a simple setting change.
Coming from an old car with halogen bulbs the lights on this are brilliant, especially how they turn when going around corners.

For the connected drive have people used to the packs available ? I was tempted to try remote services but noticed uou can get the connected package for not much more and got some extra bits.

Soldato
Final update:

Lol, how do they fail on so many levels. To think, paying customers fork out £100 per hour for this level of genius.

First of all, you hardly require a doctorate to be able to fill a car engine up with oil.

Secondly, if you do overfill the engine oil (which, with the best will in the world, can happen from time to time), you don't need to be Einstein to drain a litre or two out of it and check the level again. Why in god's name did they start trying to mess around with software updates on a 6-12month old car rather than to check how much oil they put in? Could they not link the dots between having just put oil in, and it saying it was overfilled?

Associate
Got my front splitter replaced by BMW finally under warranty, I had raised it initially in Dec 2019 but was struggling getting anywere with either of my local BMW dealerships, finally ended up back where I purchased it and had it sorted within 10 days - just cost me about 6 hours of driving and fuel over 2 days.

So far I would recommend Chandlers BMW in Worthing, but would steer clear of Marshalls BMW Hook (that damaged the paintwork on my previous car - which did finally get resolved) and Barons BMW Farnborough (no idea why they were so unhelpful as they are owned by the same group as Chandlers but just didn't want to know).

Soldato
I've had my X3M for a three weeks now and done about 600 miles, mainly shorter town journeys but also some longer dual carriage way trips and thought I'd give my impressions of the car.

I was worried after ordering and reading some of the comments by owners about the ride that it'd be terrible and maybe I'd bought the wrong car, but it just isn't. I don't know if its changes in the MY21 but the ride is very good, its not much different from my Jaguar XFS which was also very good and my wife and kids have all said that it actually feels better, which was a bit of a surprise.

Power delivery I like, I don't understand the comment about lack of torque as this car is pretty rapid, even at lower speeds, but also find it picks up very well and past 2000 rpm its picking up speed at a pretty decent rate. I do find it deceptive in that its actually travelling much quicker than you'd think from the total lack of fuss and how smooth it is.

The ID7 and new dash I love, it works brilliant and the wireless charger and wireless carplay are excellent and work everytime. Only thing is music from Wireless carplay is quite quiet but thats something thats common to system as my wifes Mini JCW acts the same. Them deprecating the Spotify App is a shame as using it integrated straight to the car would have been nice, but then Carplay sort of negates that

I love the interior and pleased I went for the Adelaide grey, it's just something a bit different from the last few cars I've had. Seat I find very comfortable and easy to setup the driving position to where I want. Elder relative are finding getting in and out of it much easier due to the increased height and thought it was as nice to be ferried around in as the Jag.

Fuel economy is cominical but then its a 510hp M car so it is what it is. I have a problem with the external temp sensor which has meant 2 trips to the dealer and doesn't seem to be resolved but will see how it goes.

All in all in very please with it and my experience so far.

Soldato
I've had my X3M for a three weeks now and done about 600 miles, mainly shorter town journeys but also some longer dual carriage way trips and thought I'd give my impressions of the car.

I was worried after ordering and reading some of the comments by owners about the ride that it'd be terrible and maybe I'd bought the wrong car, but it just isn't. I don't know if its changes in the MY21 but the ride is very good, its not much different from my Jaguar XFS which was also very good and my wife and kids have all said that it actually feels better, which was a bit of a surprise.

Power delivery I like, I don't understand the comment about lack of torque as this car is pretty rapid, even at lower speeds, but also find it picks up very well and past 2000 rpm its picking up speed at a pretty decent rate. I do find it deceptive in that its actually travelling much quicker than you'd think from the total lack of fuss and how smooth it is.

The ID7 and new dash I love, it works brilliant and the wireless charger and wireless carplay are excellent and work everytime. Only thing is music from Wireless carplay is quite quiet but thats something thats common to system as my wifes Mini JCW acts the same. Them deprecating the Spotify App is a shame as using it integrated straight to the car would have been nice, but then Carplay sort of negates that

I love the interior and pleased I went for the Adelaide grey, it's just something a bit different from the last few cars I've had. Seat I find very comfortable and easy to setup the driving position to where I want. Elder relative are finding getting in and out of it much easier due to the increased height and thought it was as nice to be ferried around in as the Jag.

Fuel economy is cominical but then its a 510hp M car so it is what it is. I have a problem with the external temp sensor which has meant 2 trips to the dealer and doesn't seem to be resolved but will see how it goes.

All in all in very please with it and my experience so far.

All that and no picture to accommodate it :(

Soldato
Lovely :)

Wonder if you've specified different wheels to the review cars, for that seemingly improved ride?

Nope they were on the standard 21" Comp wheels and same tyres from what I can see. Ride is so subjective I could be it just doesn't bother me in the way it did some of the reviewers or it could be BMW have altered something during the MY change...who knows, but I will say that for a car that weighs the better part of 2 tonnes, is on stilts and can lug a decent amount of stuff around it don't half handle well and bloody hell is it quick. I have owned some quick stuff over the years but this is ballistic in a whole new way.

Back
Top Bottom