~Subwoofer?

Soldato
Has anyone got a decent home cinema subwoofer?

I have a BK monolith plus which I'm looking to upgrade.

I've looked into PSA and the new Arendal 2V. Not sure which to go for.

Soldato
I've got a svs SB ultra 13. Good sub but I'd like to upgrade and get duals

Not much choice for high end big subs in the UK, and going to be expensive. rythmik and jtr also if you're ok with importing

Soldato
OP
What about Arendal 2V or psa tv1812?
Or sealed PSA dual inch 18

those 3 all come in under 2.7k or less

I've got a svs SB ultra 13. Good sub but I'd like to upgrade and get duals

Not much choice for high end big subs in the UK, and going to be expensive. rythmik and jtr also if you're ok with importing

Soldato
S3612 is a good sub, but you may want to consider duals to get a flatter response.

There's the ipal versions also.

Personally I prefer sealed box subs, and two good sealed box subs will be plenty..

Soldato
OP
S3612 is a good sub, but you may want to consider duals to get a flatter response.

There's the ipal versions also.

Personally I prefer sealed box subs, and two good sealed box subs will be plenty..

Nice. I am considering the S3612.
The Arendal 2V can be ran sealed or vented so thats in the race too.

Just the fact I could switch from sealed to vented is pretty cool. The numbers for it seem good too.

My room can only fit one sub.. so I don't need to worry about the second.. yet...

What sub are you running?

Soldato
If you're the same guy on avforums, you don't need two monster subs in that size room, I ran a single svs SB ultra 13 in a similar sized toomy and it was superb. And in that room size, sealed will be better.

Running the svs sbu13 paired with svs sb12+...not ideal two different subs but having second does help...but now in a room three times the size.

I had a svs pc ultra 13 in similar sized room as yours and it didn't sound great, for music.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Do you already have digital room correction in place to deal with room nodes? If not, then I'm going to suggest that you do that first. It was easily the biggest improvement that I made to the bass in my system.

As an example, my lounge has a node at around 38hz of above +10db, with a secondary at 76hz of around +5db. From experience, there's simply no getting around that, short of either having speakers that don't go that low, and I found that integration with a sub nearly impossible. With DRC in place, I now get a very smooth transition between my main speakers and sub.

Soldato
OP
If you're the same guy on avforums, you don't need two monster subs in that size room, I ran a single svs SB ultra 13 in a similar sized toomy and it was superb. And in that room size, sealed will be better.

Running the svs sbu13 paired with svs sb12+...not ideal two different subs but having second does help...but now in a room three times the size.

I had a svs pc ultra 13 in similar sized room as yours and it didn't sound great, for music.

Thank you, I’m going to settle on a sealed sub as I think it’d be a nice change too from the monolith plus.
How big is ur current room?

Soldato
OP
Do you already have digital room correction in place to deal with room nodes? If not, then I'm going to suggest that you do that first. It was easily the biggest improvement that I made to the bass in my system.

As an example, my lounge has a node at around 38hz of above +10db, with a secondary at 76hz of around +5db. From experience, there's simply no getting around that, short of either having speakers that don't go that low, and I found that integration with a sub nearly impossible. With DRC in place, I now get a very smooth transition between my main speakers and sub.

Nope. How much would that cost?

I have bought a mini dsp and microphone if that helps..

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
If you already have a mini dsp, I’m assuming that it’s just a question of setting it up and using it.
Sorry, don’t know much about the unit.

Soldato
OP
If you already have a mini dsp, I’m assuming that it’s just a question of setting it up and using it.
Sorry, don’t know much about the unit.
Will do it this week! :)
70 cubic meters
Sweet!
Mine is pretty similar.

I’ll go with the s1812

the Arendal 2V and 2s are our of the question now as they require 10cm if space either side of the subwoofer with the power connections at the back. It will be a pain in the butt to place / impossible.

Soldato
OP
Another option is dual s1512. Dual 15" may be better than single 18", flatter response. Cone area also.

Thank you mate. I can fit to s18 so might as well go with those.

and my decision is done... god so much stress for the past 3 days of research.
All got sorted in the end when I realised the Arendal s due to the dual subwoofers wouldn’t actually fit in my room and would be firing into my wall, sofa and tv cabinet.

only issue with these PSA are they aren’t pretty like the Arendal but I guess that’s a good thing as one of them is up against a radiator so is going to get it’s body destroys lol.

Soldato
OP
Pros and cons of sealed, and ported...

Two subs will be better than one.

thanks. I decided to build a hoverboss first as everyone has a 2-4 week waiting time on when they'll have the subs in stock. Then I'll likely check measurements and see what 0-10hz coverage I get.
I'll update the sub after its based on what I'm lacking re experience then. Hoping the hoverboss gives me some good stuff at 0-10hz.

Dual subs wise, its between 2xS1812s, 2x Arendal 1723 1V or 2x TV1512s (if they're released by that time and priced lower than the S1812s).

I'll likely demo the Arendal and S1812 in-room before making a decision. Also going to talk to Arendal if the 2S/2V will work in my room given I can't give the 2 side sof the sub more than <5cm to work. I'm guessing they'll say go for the 1V lol.

Soldato
OP
Ipals are getting good feedback...but even more expensive.

I can't justify £4000 on subwoofers

i agree with u. im gonna measure my null points tommorow and see if i can get away with 1 sub tbh.

Yeah, I'm going to see what the hoverboss is like and re-assess the situation.
I might end up with 2x Arendal 1Vs. I like the idea of being able to seal them up or allow them to play out vented and the build quality just oozes class.
The S18s are going to have the lower end extension but if the hoverboss gives me 1-10hz in spades.. then I don't need it that badly.
10 year warranty of arendal, superior dynamics most likely, infinitely better build quality... beautiful looks.. edges me towards them.
i like the S18s for their no compromise focus on power and output and value for money..

also the exchnage rate might play a small part in my decision re: arendal :D

Back
Top Bottom