ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus - should I buy it?

Soldato
Hi all

I'm going to be upgrading my Ryzen 5 2600X to the new 5000 series hopefully on launch day, but who knows how quickly they will sell. I was planning to drop it into my existing ASUS X470-F Gaming mobo. Hearing that the BIOS update may not drop until the new year had me thinking.

I have the opportunity to buy the X570-Plus new, for £160. Sadly from another site as I have some gift voucher money. (Reason I state that mobo is that I want to stay with ASUS. I like their motherboards, I like the build quality and BIOS features. I'm hoping to just note down my existing settings and migrate most across like for like.)

What would you do?

1. Wait a few months and then drop the CPU into the X470-F mobo and save £160?
2. Buy the X570-Plus for £160 and sell the X470-F and perhaps recoup £80ish?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited:
Soldato
I like the build quality
There are no "quality" brands.
That "quality" Asus sold complete scams as B450 boards with VRMs unable to feed all CPUs at stock without overheating.
While Asus corrected those garbage VRMs in X570, again chipset cooler is straight from rear end of marketroids:
- Actual heatsink under marketing excrement covers is tiny...
- And relies of constant airflow from constantly running fan...
- With everything positioned into worst palce directly under graphics card to be bathed in its heat.
So if you stick hot high end graphics card there, chipset can run hot during gaming sessions and you can guess what happens if/when fan fails.
While properly designed chipset coolers of Gigabyte and MSI stay mostly passive relying actually good size heatsink in better positions.

So that X470-F would actually have one thing lot better than X570 boards. (of Asus)
Anyway for just gaming PC B550 boards would be good and didn't have active chipset cooler for Asus to screw up.

Soldato
OP
@MeatLoaf thanks for your feedback. :)

@EsaT Kiitos, appreciate the detailed reply. I hadn't considered the B550 chipset. It makes sense I guess, as there's no such thing as future proofing in the PC world and I imagine the next chipset from AMD will be new socket and DDR5 support. So really, buying the X570 may not be as advantageous as I first thought. Perhaps the B550 would be more sensible for me. I only have x1 M.2 SSD with is Gen 3. I only ever use x1 GPU. I have x2 SATA drives. That's it.

So perhaps the Asus TUF Gaming B550-Plus is more what I need.

Soldato
I looked at the B550, but i wanted an asus board and the wasnt a lot of difference in price between the 2 TUF boards although its around £50 difference now.

The other think to be aware of it that your 2600X wont work in a B550 board.

Back
Top Bottom