My experiences of a Nurburgring trackday. It`s a long post, 2 trips and a new engine in one report !

Associate
OP
I have to totally agree - great posts as ever. :)
Thank you

Agreed. Love the fact you just whip off the cylinder head to take a look :D
It's have been better if I had a spare with me I could have refitted :D

Another great read. Thanks

FluffySheep
Cheers !

Good video on the car

That's the video I mentioned in the report :)

He asked me to talk about the Golf before we went out, which I was happy to do. I expected him to cut most of it out but he left nearly all of it in :eek: I don`t like watching / listening to myself on video, but to be fair, I don`t think many people do :D

Man of Honour
He asked me to talk about the Golf before we went out, which I was happy to do. I expected him to cut most of it out but he left nearly all of it in :eek: I don`t like watching / listening to myself on video, but to be fair, I don`t think many people do

Was interesting how much you'd modified it - I hadn't picked up on quite how far you'd taken some of it before.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Not enough emphasis on the shock tower work in the videos, the engineering in this car is superb and love reading your updates. You come across as such a stand up interesting bloke too. Thank for sharing :)

Associate
OP
Was interesting how much you'd modified it - I hadn't picked up on quite how far you'd taken some of it before.
It has been a very long project. Find the limiting factor and modify it. Then find the next area to focus and repeat. Making mistakes along the way too !

Not enough emphasis on the shock tower work in the videos, the engineering in this car is superb and love reading your updates. You come across as such a stand up interesting bloke too. Thank for sharing :)
Turrets needed raising particularly after switching the 17`s. The damper travel was very near the end of it`s stroke when the car was at rest, raising the top mount regained that lost travel :)

Fair play on the X5 going flat out too! What engine has that got in it?

oh, and any donuts left? :)
It`s an F15 40d. 3.0 Diesel twin Turbo. Brilliant car.

The donuts only just made Folkestone :D

Love this car. Just goes to show with a little thought and dedication anything can be made to go fast :)

Have you ever thought of trying something RWD and going full out on that or is this one of those cars for life?
Oh definitely. I retire in under 4 years and I`ll be starting a new project then. M2 Competition as a base. Golf will be broken for parts.

Great read as always, thanks Nige :)
Appreciate you replying :)

Associate
OP
Enjoyed that vid. Was interesting how the Golf kept up with and even caught that 911 GT3 through the twisties with the 911 pulling away in the straights (obviously).
From reading some of the comments on Mishas video, you do wonder what world people live in :rolleyes: "oh, that Porsche was faster than you" , "but you can`t drive the Golf on the roads daily" , "The Porsche could leave you if he tried" etc etc

Well OBVIOUSLY ! It`s a 991 GT3RS for goodness sake and I`m driving a home built MK2 Golf !.
pmsl.gif

Was still a fun lap though :)

Good to hear you liked the Croft lap Stu. It was almost dry, I`ve been to Croft 3 times now I think and it`s been wet everytime :D

Caporegime
There are a lot of kids on the internet. It's not difficult to believe a stripped out track car could be as fast as a normal road car.

I am not of the ilk to be able to purchase a 991 GT3 RS (At least not yet ;)) but their is no harm in building something that can give you a large percentage of that performance for next to nothing.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Misha's video came up on my YouTube feed. Good for you @NigeP
Thanks for sharing everything on here as always :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom