Winter Tyres ?

Associate
cancel and either get 2 matching michelins for the rear and drive carefully in the winter, or if you're worried about winter weather then get a set of 4 cross climates.

We don't really need proper winter tyres unless it's a rwd/pokey car (which isn't a Picasso - not a complaint), or if you live in Scotland (or remote areas in Peaks/Lakes) but not Oxford (per your profile)?!? And probably shouldn't have 2 winter and 2 summer tyres on the same car...

At the end of the day, the tyres are the only thing keeping your car on the road and safe, so should be the last thing to cheap out on, especially if you've got family in your car...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Didn’t realise you need an expensive car or a pretty flash one to get advice in here.

Don't be daft, I mentioned the car because it suggests the size you need. As I suspected the price difference for good tyres over crap ones isn't much. Don't skimp.

Good tyres in the size you need are inexpensive.

Soldato
10-15k at most.

Even lower since covid.
Annoyingly £60 is quite a difference right now, with xmas coming up and a few kids birthdays. Plus MOT soon !

I know it's easier for many of us to say it, but that £60 extra is worth spending. When you have to slow sharply from 70mph on a dual carriageway in the wet because someone's pranged it in front, you'll be glad you did. You're going to get 3-6 years out of them, so think of it as an investment. If you ever come to sell the car, someone might notice that despite its age, it's been looked after with decent rubber rather than whatever was cheapest.

Underboss
The front of my car was recently fitted with Michelin Primacy 4’s and i don’t intend on changing them.

there's your answer, stick with those

don't put snow tyres on for non-snow conditions, your grip will be non-existent = dangerous

or you could put 4 Michelin Cross Climates on (i have, never looked back)
might be a good option if your centre of oxford?

Soldato
OP
The front of my car was recently fitted with Michelin Primacy 4’s and i don’t intend on changing them.

don't put snow tyres on for non-snow conditions, your grip will be non-existent = dangerous

Yeah but i’m talking about the back now, and looking at best options cos i have ordered the Avon WT7’s but i’ll cancel that tomorrow

Soldato
OP

My basic commute is down the A34 between Peartree and Heyford Hill.

Soldato
I put cross climates on the front of my Focus (had Primacys all round before) and really they were great, as many people have said do not cheap out on rubber as it's the only thing that's keeping you and your family on the road.

I don't think anyone said Avon are rubbish but there really is a massive difference between budgets and decent rubber and as mentioned unless you live in the top end of Scotland you don't need winter tyres in the UK (I live on the edge of the Peak District and have never needed winter tyres in my 25+ years driving to get anywhere)

Soldato
Avon are ok.

If you get proper winters you will need to change them back in spring. Most people who use them have a 2nd set of wheels. They will be to soft in warmer weather and may overheat.

Soldato
OP
Yeah i am definitely getting rid of the winters.

i could get the ZT7’s for £80 both.

Or Primacy 4 for £140.

The car is in decent nick, even though its old. And not even done 100k miles yet. No rusting or anything.

so maybe the Primacy’s would last longer

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Price.

When i got the Primacy 4’s they was on offer. They aren’t anymore !

Seriously?
You're driving around in a ton and a half of metal and you think it's a good idea to skimp on tyres?
For the sake of not just your own family, but also those that you "could" have an accident with, stop being a bloody skin-flint and ensure that your car is SAFE on the road.

Soldato
OP
Seriously?
You're driving around in a ton and a half of metal and you think it's a good idea to skimp on tyres?
For the sake of not just your own family, but also those that you "could" have an accident with, stop being a bloody skin-flint and ensure that your car is SAFE on the road.
It is safe on the road pal.

It passes an MOT every year same as everyone else’s. I had it looked at when the 6 month extensions came in and was told the Anti Roll Bar links was slightly worn, but would pass the MOT. But guess what i did, ordered a pair that day and changed them the next day. Ya know why ? Cos i want my car to be safe and the fact its an old car does play on my mind.

If budget tyre are so bad why are they being sold ?
So by your standards everybody should be forking out for the very best tyres around. Its unlikely that happens at all.

The Avon ZT7’s aren’t the cheapest tyres. But with the £25 per paid discount ATS are doing they work out pretty cheap. The cheapest on there are some generic things for £40 a pop. Which i certainly won’t be getting !

i came in here to get some good advice and most of us are having a good conversation about tyres and winter tyres, then theres you, who has just come in with no real input.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah i am definitely getting rid of the winters.

i could get the ZT7’s for £80 both.

Or Primacy 4 for £140.

The car is in decent nick, even though its old. And not even done 100k miles yet. No rusting or anything.

so maybe the Primacy’s would last longer
The Michelins WILL last longer. Whether they'll last twice as long (making it the same cost / mile as the Avons) I don't know, but I'd wager they won't be far off even if they don't double the mileage. Otherwise, look at the Goodyear as suggested by @xs2man

Back
Top Bottom