Inneresting Sunday Trip

Associate
Had a very inneresting excursion this weekend courtesy of a chap I know who services machinery for the food processing industry. He had a call out yesterday to the spray dried milk powder plant at Arla Dairies in North Tawton, Devon & got on the blower to see if I'd like to go along.

I was game, even though it meant getting up at 5 am after a late night on Saturday.

You can see the great milk spray dryer of North Tawton before you've barely left Somerset on the M5 as the unit itself is housed in a huge structure some 200 feet in height.

The basic mechanics of it are that raw milk enters at the top and is subjected to a vortex of hot air that drives out any moisture and leaves a powdery residue which settles in a large silo awaiting collection during the bagging process.

We started out climbing a metal ladder to the top of the plant to observe the ingress of the raw material but it wasn't until we went down a floor that I was hit by the incredible heat generated by the plant. Then I was introduced to the 2 engineers overseeing the operation , Nigel and Tom, who were ensconced in a control room that looked like the flight deck of the Apollo space craft with more flashing lights than the most ostentatious of Chritmas lights displays. Their job was basically to monitor the temperature and humidity inside the spray drier as well as the rate of product throughflow. A very narrow temperature range needs to be maintained, they explained, as too low a temperature will lead to a situation where evaporation doesn't occur and liquid milk will fall to the bottom of the silo spoiling any product already collected there, while too high a temperature will lead to a browning of the powder which will subsequently be rejected by quality control.

Indeed, the quality operation is quite impressive with samples being taken for a number of microbiological and physical tests at various stages in the process.

But it was in the bagging hall where we witnessed a huge conflab between quality and production; a situation with which anyone who has worked in manufacturing industry will be familiar. In this case it was the quality of the seals on the bagged product that was being called into question by the qc operative. Basically the powder is bagged in sacks with a polyethylene lining and a sealed is made by the compression of two hot plates as the upright sack passes down the conveyor belt. A perfect seal is indicated by continuous opaque band where the hot plates have been applied. In a defective seal, there is a break in this opacity and that is exactly what the qc operative had found - and not for the first time judging from the "Oh no, not again" reaction from all involved as it would mean stopping the line, making some adjustments and rejecting every sack of powder that had gone through since the previous qc check.

And that basically concluded our end to end tour of the process. It really was fascinating stuff and I shall never look at the creamer I put in my coffee in the same light again.

Soldato
Whilst this wasn't something I thought I'd be reading on here on a Monday morning it does sound very interesting. Were you allowed to take any photos?

Associate
OP
Whilst this wasn't something I thought I'd be reading on here on a Monday morning it does sound very interesting. Were you allowed to take any photos?

Regrettably the taking of photos is expressly forbidden on Arla sites. They did give me a sack of dried skimmed milk powder, though, which will keep me in Coffee Mate for all eternity!

Soldato
Haha I'd say so. Have to admit I'm not aware of the site but will look it up. Love visiting big manufacturing places or seeing the documentaries on them, you dont realise how much effort goes into things until you see first hand.

Associate
OP
My job takes me to many interesting places. One of my work mates got a job some years back to fix a server at Spearmint Rhino!
Oh, it's a strip cub!

I dud a contract a few years ago for an Indian "telecoms" company whose actual line of business was serving up Frankie Vaughn links to unsuspecting mobile users and charging them a fortune for each click.

Associate
Done some. Shifts at the Newquay plant, turning cheese, it's as interesting as it sounds tbh maybe automation needed here

The Newquay plant seems to be nothing like what has been described here. I worked there and it's one of my worst jobs ever. It's really hot and hard work. You never seem to be able to get the smell out of your skin.

Soldato
I thought Arla had a bad name for controlling farmers milk prices especially during lock-down causing farmers to dump milk

but otherwise - interesting visit : Does everyone wear masks ? what about process heat recovery systems, like for sugar beet;
milk powder is so dam expensive now , used to be much cheaper than milk, and convenient for cooking,

Soldato
The Newquay plant seems to be nothing like what has been described here. I worked there and it's one of my worst jobs ever. It's really hot and hard work. You never seem to be able to get the smell out of your skin.
Yes it's not good and well known on the min wage circuit as a rubbish place to work ,I also worked here in my pre vegan(but long term veggie) days and wouldn't support a concern like this again ,the only positive was I did only 2 shifts a week and could pop to the beach on the way home
Edit /the best automation I have seen is the. Mars Dentastix line in Birstall near Leeds,, robots boxing and palletising, still needed lots of human intervention, as the foiling machines always going down, when the boxing machine went down the product would divert into house high spirals, big buffer zones, places down here just seem to use manual labour and very basic machines

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom