• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Graphics card(s) for Trading machine running 4 big monitors

Associate
Overclockerholics!

I need some Graphics card(s) advice from the people in the know.

System is a Tomahawk B450
Ryzen 5 1400
32GB Ram

At present I use a VisionTek Radeon 7750 2GB running 5 34" Widescreen monitors at 3440 x 1440. This has been working great for the last 2-3 years but recently I've been having problems with the PC freezing and I think the graphics card is to blame so I'm looking to replace it. (I've tried at length to fix the problem but nothing works).

I'm also looking to upgrade my monitors so would be running TWO 49" widescreen running at 5120 x 1440 and TWO 34" at 3440 x 1440.

The system is used for stock trading, NEVER any gaming.

Stability is the main attribute I'm looking for. I would also like to get at least 4+ years out of the components so a little bit of future proofing needed.

So my problem is to find the right graphics card to run the above. Money is not so much a problem but at the same time I don't want to spend say £X when £X/2 would do the job.

I'm happy to run 2 of the same cards if I need to.

I first started looking at Quadro P620 but then the tech looks old compared to what's available now. Stability though seems to be great with these cards. What about the P1000?

So I turned my attention to the GTX 1050 ti but again, that's an old card compared to the present. I like the price of this one though.

I then started to look at the GTX 1660 which many people seem to like.

Any ideas to the above, perhaps I've missed something?

Thanks a lot.

Associate
OP
Both, right now I'm using DP on all of them.

The 34" I'm using right now are 60hrtz.

I believe the 49" are 70hrtz and they also accept both DP and HDMI.

Thanks.

Soldato
I used to work in this industry & was an SME on Trade Floors for decades ;) 2GB Vram on the graphics card is barely enough to drive 5 monitors at those resolutions! Thomson Reuters & Bloomberg both try to use all of that 2GB VRam & then some. Try buying a GPU with at least 8Gb VRam also your CPU is very slow try buying a Ryzen with 24 CPU Threads will make a big difference to speed & responsiveness & be future proofed! Try this lot below:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/amd-...hz-socket-am4-processor-retail-cp-3b5-am.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...4-x570-chipset-atx-motherboard-mb-6dp-as.html

As for GPU's well right now your going to have compromise until AMD release their new products I would look at this AMD GPU below. 3 x DP 1 x HDMI means you will need to get an adapter to convert the HDMI to DP or just use HDMI for your main display. Many options around that. Nvidia cards are a bit of a ripoff right now you could wait for the 3070 or pay the extra for a 3080 now but AMD when they release their new GPU's Nvidia will eventually have to drop their prices to more realistic levels!
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/powe...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-18l-pc.html

One thing to also bear in mind is:
5120x1440=7,372,800 pixels x 2 screens
3440x1440=4,953,600 pixels x 2 screen

That's a LOT of pixels for the system to manage with all the various windows which will be open in your applications hence why you need a faster CPU as well to future proof! You might get away with reusing your existing DDR4 ram.... otherwise buy some of this x 2 kits for 32Gb DDR4 (8Gb x 4):
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/king...al-channel-kit-hx432c16fb3k2-8-my-293-ks.html

Associate
OP
AWPC, yes, I was actually thinking that the CPU was underpowered so I was looking to upgrade to a Ryzen 7 3700x, that should a) do the job, and b) future proof to a certain degree. And that X570 mobo was the one I had zeroed in on. You mentioned the Ryzen 9 but I think that might be too much or me in both power and cost. Nevertheless I'll look into things, thanks.

Interesting that you suggest Radeon RX 580, I had thought of that so I'll again look into it. Does anyone else have any ideas on this GPU over some of the others that have been mentioned, for example the P1000 and the GTX 1660.

All this is really helping so thanks a lot fellas.

Associate
Interesting video card with six outputs there, those are pretty unusual I think.
Looking at the resolutions you're talking about there, I think we're getting towards stretching what cards like the 1050Ti can do in terms of raw pixel-pushing.

Personally, if I were only looking for 2d performance, I'd look at getting 2x GT 1030. You may need to pick a card that has 1xDP and 1xHDMI, MSI do one with passive cooling, and then you could probably get away with a spend of £130 on the pair.

If you were looking at a new processor, as the other poster suggests, then you could try for an APU so that the processor could run a couple of the screens directly (your mainboard has the outputs) and then a single GT 1030 to drive the others.

(That said, APUs of the most recent generation are very hard to obtain, they're OEM only)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Personally, if I were only looking for 2d performance, I'd look at getting 2x GT 1030. You may need to pick a card that has 1xDP and 1xHDMI, MSI do one with passive cooling, and then you could probably get away with a spend of £130 on the pair.

Thanks Jimmy, what about the GT 1030 and dropping one of the 49" so just one 49" (5120x1440) and two 34" (3440x1440).

Would the GT 1030 be strong enough for that? It looks a bit weak to me but I'm really no expert so am happy to be corrected.

Soldato
AWPC, yes, I was actually thinking that the CPU was underpowered so I was looking to upgrade to a Ryzen 7 3700x, that should a) do the job, and b) future proof to a certain degree. And that X570 mobo was the one I had zeroed in on. You mentioned the Ryzen 9 but I think that might be too much or me in both power and cost. Nevertheless I'll look into things, thanks.

Interesting that you suggest Radeon RX 580, I had thought of that so I'll again look into it. Does anyone else have any ideas on this GPU over some of the others that have been mentioned, for example the P1000 and the GTX 1660.

Price differential between the 8 & 12 core is so little you may as go for the 12 core 24 thread & the Ryzen 9 is newer than 7, 9 has more cache & faster instructions so way more useful for number crunching trading apps! GTX1660 only has 6Gb Vram you really need to think about 8GB Vram to future proof a little!

Soldato

Have a look around, I think there are some good deals on the 3900X at the moment. Not too much more than a 3700X.

Associate
Thanks Jimmy, what about the GT 1030 and dropping one of the 49" so just one 49" (5120x1440) and two 34" (3440x1440).

Would the GT 1030 be strong enough for that? It looks a bit weak to me but I'm really no expert so am happy to be corrected.

Don't get me wrong, the GT 1030 is a pretty weak card!
But in terms of what it can do in 2D for desktop use it's got the same max resolution as a 1050Ti. All the 1030s I can find only have two outputs though, so you won't be running three screens off one. If you want to go 3-screen as cheaply as possible, an AMD Radeon RX550 appears to be your best bet, they retail under £100 and some of them have 4GB attached. I think it would support all the resolutions you need...

Associate
If you have a decent CPU you can disable GPU acceleration in the browser, I've found whilst using a spare old GPU until 3080 arrives that it stopped freezing/video playback issues.

Associate
OP
UPDATE:

This is interesting, the reason I wanted to upgrade my Graphics card was twofold -

1) because my PC was freezing and I thought it was related to the card, and
2) I was thinking about updating my whole system anyway

But then I thought, perhaps it's not my graphics card, maybe it was something else, perhaps PSU or even MOBO and I was dreading having to install a new mobo, Windows and loads of programs I was running.

Anyway I found a friend who lent me a GTX 1660 Super. Installation went well and in no time it was running 4 x 34" at 3440 x 1440 (3xDP, 1xHDMI). But within an hour I was getting the freezes again so the problem wasn't the gaphics card.

To cut a long story short I then found what the problem was - The NXT CAM monitoring software (shows Temp/Load for the CPU and GPU). One I got rid of that, zero problems. I also searched around and found others who'd had exactly the same problem as me - PC freezes but the mouse moves although no clicks work.

Just thought I'd pass the information along in case others come across this problem in the future. If so, DELETE the CAM software.

Back
Top Bottom