Laurence Fox

Soldato
It's quite weird seeing some of my left leaning friends have a meltdown over what I consider to be a perfectly reasonable polite man trying to have sensible discussions in an environment that is increasingly difficult to do so. It's becoming more and more apparent that the more people try to silence and berate normal opinions, the further to the extremes people will be pushed. But fine carry on and lets see where we end up.

Perfectly reasonable and polite? He's facing 2 separate defamation cases for calling people paedophiles on Twitter.

Man of Honour
don't use your own insecurities and weak intelligence to corrupt my children.

Really sorry to hear that you've had experienced this, it angers me to see. It is very concerning and I'm saddened to say that I am already in a position where I find myself thinking of how I'm going to limit/mitigate the affects this will have on my not-even-18-month-old daughter. I can only hope - despite some of the red flags you point out in your post - brave, level headed people like Mr Fox can drag the talking points back to somewhere even close to what I consider to be sanity. Unfortunately I don't think the strongest proponents of the nonsense will be up for that, and it'll be a kicking and screaming scenario.

Soldato
Perfectly reasonable and polite? He's facing 2 separate defamation cases for calling people paedophiles on Twitter.

To be fair he only resorted to name calling in retort when they made the baseless accusation that he was a racist. He then pointed out the reason he said it along with the obvious hipocrisy to highlight the point he was making. Seems like a reasonable reply IMO if you read the full story about it.

Soldato
Thanks Silvagti you beat me to it.

This is why people need to stop making baseless allegations. It completely reduces words to nothing and we see it all the time. Trump is a fascist, Fox is a racist, so and so is a Nazi etc. Fine criticise these people for the things that they should actually be criticised for and respond to the actual claims or statements they have made, but calling them names which often turn out to be completely unfounded doesn't help anyone.

If you don't like Fox then fine call him out on things that he has said. People did so with the Sikh soldiers comments in 1918 and he apologised, learnt and moved on. With the environment the way it is many people don't want to say anything. If we cannot have reasonable discussions for fear of being branded something we're not then we're going to have a real problem on our hands.

Man of Honour
Not familiar with him....is he just a toned down Katie Hopkins?
No. Completely different. He gets labelled the same but he's an articulate and friendly person. He just has the "wrong" politics (centre right, instead of hard left) and so gets labelled a misogynistic racist, etc. I've followed him on ******* for a while so I could make up my own mind and, as mentioned above, he's actually a reasonable guy who's just prepared to speak his mind. I don't agree with everything he says. But he does say some things I do.

Soldato
The left don't do "disagreeing with someone's politics", they do character attacks. There are no right wing or Conservative Politicians, or people who have those views, who they don't hate on a personal level.

Man of Honour
The left don't do "disagreeing with someone's politics", they do character attacks. There are no right wing or Conservative Politicians, or people who have those views, who they don't hate on a personal level.

This is what "liberal" and/or [in far too many cases] left has become - they don't listen to other people's views or engage with other peoples opinions, they've already made their mind up what is best, what people should be doing, and if another opinion or view can't be ignored or people don't conform to it they attack the person/messenger.

Soldato
This is what "liberal" and/or [in far too many cases] left has become - they don't listen to other people's views or engage with other peoples opinions, they've already made their mind up what is best, what people should be doing, and if another opinion or view can't be ignored or people don't conform to it they attack the person/messenger.

They *always* attack the messenger, you can't find a person who they don't hate, it's incessant and hostile personal character attacks. They think they're on the side of good and righteous, so it's all justified. They are good and the opposition is literally evil, which is such a dangerous mindset, completely lacking self awareness with compounding ignorance. People who consider themselves "intelligent" yet spend their lives telling people they're scum on Twitter and should kill themselves; you couldn't make it up.

Man of Honour
completely lacking self awareness with compounding ignorance

I won't pretend to be particularly intelligent and definitely limits to my self-awareness - but I do try to be self-aware, to question my beliefs, etc. it scares me how increasingly there seems to be more and more people who completely lack self-awareness and as much as I hate to band the term around literally act like NPCs - when all the information is in front of them which articulately, conclusively shows their opinion to be completely detached from reality, even when you can get them to admit it in that instance, you still find them a short time later espousing the same views unmodified. Quite frankly it scares me for the future.

Soldato
They *always* attack the messenger, you can't find a person who they don't hate, it's incessant and hostile personal character attacks. They think they're on the side of good and righteous, so it's all justified. They are good and the opposition is literally evil, which is such a dangerous mindset, completely lacking self awareness with compounding ignorance. People who consider themselves "intelligent" yet spend their lives telling people they're scum on Twitter and should kill themselves; you couldn't make it up.

Seems that the regular anti-trumpers in the trump SC thread fit that description. :)

Everything I have seen from Fox seems very sensible and in most cases, quite liberal in the classic sense (free speech etc).

Soldato
Seems that the regular anti-trumpers in the trump SC thread fit that description. :)

Everything I have seen from Fox seems very sensible and in most cases, quite liberal in the classic sense (free speech etc).

I don't go in there anymore, that section should be nuked from orbit

Back
Top Bottom