What to wear?

Associate
Full suit. Some valid comments above about making sure your video feed and frame are good in terms of quality, background and how you And your surroundings are shown in the video.

Soldato
A smart shirt will suffice, but if you feel more comfortable in a tie - go for it. Imagine it's highly likely they will be wearing a Polo top / smart casual shirt.

First thing I've always done in interviews is take off a jacket :D

Caporegime
Worse, you'll look like someone that can't follow simple instruction.

Yup, thought that is part of why you'd look silly IMO... not following (or perhaps not having read) instructions, perhaps not having done any reading up on the company etc...

It's probably not a deal breaker if the candidate is good, but it isn't exactly a positive first impression.

Caporegime
"Please please please don't wear a suit. The guys out on the floor will think you are ivory tower idiots from head office. Dress as casually as you feel comfortable with, but to give you an idea we would recommend a hoodie and jeans"

I normally wore a shirt, tie and trousers in the office in the UK, but was happy to conform with whatever their norms were.

I had the opposite on occasions where I (and colleagues) were the clients and we'd not change what we wore day to day when taking meeting from people or going to meetings.

On one occasion myself and 2 or 3 others turned up to a fancy office in Canary Wharf for a lunchtime meeting with a sales director... all wearing hoodies or t-shirts, Asian(British Indian) colleague in a hoodie (with joggers and high top trainers too*) approached the reception desk... got quite a stern greeting at reception and two security guards appeared behind us looking like they were just waiting to be given the nod to throw us out... quick phone call after we said we were there for a meeting with [Joe Bloggs] (sales director) and they're all smiles... though beyond that sort of thing no one cared what we were wearing.

*silly thing is this guy probably spent way more on his trainers alone than the average city worker does on a suit, not something I understand but in his opinion he was well dressed, he'd take girls out to some fashionable restaraut/club etc.. dressed like that!

Soldato
depends on the job / industry. go a notch smarter than you would do in your day to day business. don't dress up too much as you'll make yourself and the interviewers uncomfortable.

Back
Top Bottom