Are you going to change your WFH routine when the clocks change?

Soldato
I don't know about anyone else but I'm dreading the clocks changing. I hate being stuck in the house all day, we make an effort to go for a short walk before lunch and then usually either go for a run, or find some other excuse to nip out once we're done with work (before dinner).

Running in the dark is no fun, and half the point is to actually get out and see some daylight. So we're thinking of struggling up early in the morning and running/walking before we start work. Then we can have a short walk around lunchtime. I'm really not a morning person so am not looking forward to this :o

I don't understand people that just get up, sit at their PC all day and don't even venture outside. It makes me feel horrible and sedentary :confused:
I started running in the dark last year and it's great fun. Get a head torch. :)

Soldato
Nope, will still get up at 7 have a shower amble downstairs and switch on my laptops while the kettle boils, make drinks for me and the wife and then log on and start work, the fact that the clocks change makes no difference to me as I tend to start at 7.45 every morning and that will be same after clocks 'fall' back

Soldato
OP
What’s the difference between WFH and being in an office and the clocks changing? The commute?
Or more light in office? Bigger space etc?
Yeah at least with the commute you get some daylight (even if I'm on the tube I get the walk to/from the station etc.) and I used to swim at lunchtimes in an outdoor pool over the road. If I didn't do that I'd always get out for some some sort of amble around, even if it was just to pick up lunch. WFH it's way to easy to get up, computer on, sit there for 8hrs, make dinner, watch TV, go to bed :p Daylight is important for mental health, sleep cycles etc. so I don't want to get into a bad habit :)

I run in the dark, went out every other night the past 3 weeks at night, but it’s safe where I live.
I'm not worried about safety, I just want to get more sunlight! I have just bought an uber-reflective silver vest thing so at least I can do both.

Associate
Isn't next year the last time clocks will be changing?

I mentioned this on the previous page, but no one seemed to agree :D

Even though the UK is leaving the EU (no further discussion about that), because of the fact that northern and southern Ireland are physically joined and remain with a very close relationship, it wouldn't make sense for the UK to stick with the current system when the EU changes to the, well, "no change" method, if that makes sense.

I believe the idea is that Britain will be permanently on BST, rather than GMT/UTC.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I mentioned this on the previous page, but no one seemed to agree :D

Even though the UK is leaving the EU (no further discussion about that), because of the fact that northern and southern Ireland are physically joined and remain with a very close relationship, it wouldn't make sense for the UK to stick with the current system when the EU changes to the, well, "no change" method, if that makes sense.

I believe the idea is that Britain will be permanently on BST, rather than GMT/UTC.
I just googled this and can obviously find articles from the time, but nothing concrete now. You'd think that it would have a mention officially somewhere! Am i being blind or is nothing concrete published about this?

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I would have at least expected some sort of mention on a gov.uk website, somewhere. But i cant find anything!

Soldato
I generally go out to the gym mid afternoon most days, so I'll just continue to manage my own time.

One of the perks of working for an employer that knows your value and trusts you to manage your time accordingly.

Soldato
I work 6:45 am to 4 pm and go either for a 50min walk or a 35-40min run regardless of the weather and daylight. If I have to leave the house at 4 pm to visit my social bubble I'll get up at 5:45 am and go out for a walk, again regardless of the weather and daylight. When finishing work at 6 pm, I'll have dinner then go straight out, again for a walk or run. I'd imagine that I'll do the same with the clocks going back. I don't really stop for lunch, so I don't use the lunch break for exercise.

Soldato
Running in the dark is no fun, and half the point is to actually get out and see some daylight.
There's a massive community of joggers round our way who do not seem to share your opinion.
I used to enjoy taking the dogs out at night, as the area has virtually no light pollution and you can see the stars so much clearer. If the moon is more than half full, you won't need a torch, even in the woodlands.
Nowadays, you don't need a torch, because the area is lit up by the bouncing noggins of midnight joggers clad in hundred-quid Petzl headlamps, while the hooting of hunting owls has given way to the neoprene rustle of Lycra™ running shorts and the wincing of sore nipples.

Permabanned
There's a massive community of joggers round our way who do not seem to share your opinion.
I used to enjoy taking the dogs out at night, as the area has virtually no light pollution and you can see the stars so much clearer. If the moon is more than half full, you won't need a torch, even in the woodlands.
Nowadays, you don't need a torch, because the area is lit up by the bouncing noggins of midnight joggers clad in hundred-quid Petzl headlamps, while the hooting of hunting owls has given way to the neoprene rustle of Lycra™ running shorts and the wincing of sore nipples.

That's quite a mental picture you paint.

Soldato
That's quite a mental picture you paint.
It is mental... 30-50 odd little LED lights bounding all around a wide open English Heritage site, with huffing and panting echoing off the embankments, mixed with the lowing of cattle...
If you don't immediately twig WTF is going on, it's probably quite traumatic!!

Soldato
OP
One of the perks of working for an employer that knows your value and trusts you to manage your time accordingly.
I'm sure it's not the case but why does this read like you're insinuating my/others employers aren't the same? :confused: Strange way to write it..

It is mental... 30-50 odd little LED lights bounding all around a wide open English Heritage site, with huffing and panting echoing off the embankments, mixed with the lowing of cattle...
If you don't immediately twig WTF is going on, it's probably quite traumatic!!
lol :p

I have bought a reflective top for running now, but I think I'm still going to change my routine. Maybe longer lunchtime or something.. I might try morning runs but aargh I'm so lazy first thing..

Back
Top Bottom