• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**THE NVIDIA DRIVERS THREAD**

Soldato
Strange, I've rolled back the driver and it's still doing it. Only the DP display shows, but if I go to the display management screen it shows a second display but it isn't configurable (resolution etc..). As soon as I switch the DP monitor off, the HDMI monitor flicks on. :confused:

Permabanned
Because Nvidia don't allow their AIB partners to get away with haphazardly screwing junk coolers to their GPU's. i have been getting increasingly annoyed with trying to keep the ASRock Challenger D 5700XT temperatures under control and finally blew my top, seeing red went straight to Amazon and bagged a 2070 Super from MSI, i had one of their GTX 1070 and it was brilliant, so here we are.... https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/msi-rtx-2070-super-gaming-x.b7142
------------------

On another note Nvidia's UI is decidedly dated and horrid, the user experience in the software matters Nvidia, just saying.

AMD, sort your ######### AIB partners out with this crap ####### coolers!

Has Nvidia released an official explanation why it keeps the 1990s interface? :eek:
It could have been changed to the normal Windows 10 interface instead, if it has absolutely no willingness and imagination, and vision how a Graphics UI should look like.

Old:

New:

Caporegime
I'm using 456.71 but I don't know if it's related to the terrible Firefox performance I've been seeing over the last couple of weeks - tabs crashing, freezing, very high memory usage.

Associate
Is there any way a driver update could cause my gpu to start emitting hideous coil whine? I know it's probably just coincidence but my <1 month old gigabyte 2070 super was stotally silent until right after the new driver install and now it sounds like someone choking on a kazoo at anything over 60fps. Tried going back to older driver, made absolutely sure it's not a fan etc. Any possibility the driver changed a power management setting or something? Pretty gutted after just going to a lot of effort and expense to build a nice silent rig to sit on my desk.

Associate
I've just updated to the new Nvidia driver, and found that performance in Ashes of the Singularity has dropped off a cliff - It used to be quite happy at around 50-55fps at 2k, but since updating the driver it barely keeps up with half that. I'm not even talking in the middle of a heated battle, I mean the very beginning of a match. Running the benchmarks shows that it is only the GPU performance that has dropped too, the CPU focused benchmark is still around the 50's.

Is there an easy way to roll back to the old driver to test it? I've seen that you can by uninstalling the old driver and re-downloading it from Nvidia's site, but I want to be sure that I will still be able to use the GPU once the drivers are uninstalled as my processor has no onboard graphics...

Associate
@Dirk Diggler Thanks for the reassurance - I was fairly sure that it would be fine, but I wasn't about to try it without confirmation, never had a processor without onboard graphics. Really obvious when you put it like that...

Need to keep the 1070 going for as long as possible until the 3080 turns up!

Caporegime
Has Nvidia released an official explanation why it keeps the 1990s interface? :eek:
It could have been changed to the normal Windows 10 interface instead, if it has absolutely no willingness and imagination, and vision how a Graphics UI should look like.

Old:

New:

After using AMD's Software UI for a couple of months going back to Nvidia's feels like going back to Windows 98, AMD's UI is vastly better. I also hate the way Nvidia split functionality between something from Windows 98 and something from Windows Vista.

As for the software stack again AMD's is stuffed with useful features, a lot of which clearly Nvidia haven't even thought about yet... oh and "it just works" Nvidia do have an sharpening tool but the result is crap compared with AMD's RIS. The latter being about as good as DLSS2, it also causes Image Corruption in my Quixel Bridge UI.

Nvidia, fix your #### drivers.

V F

V F

Soldato
I'm using 456.71 but I don't know if it's related to the terrible Firefox performance I've been seeing over the last couple of weeks - tabs crashing, freezing, very high memory usage.

I've been noticing that. There are disgusting memory leaks with it.

Caporegime
I've been noticing that. There are disgusting memory leaks with it.

I don't know if I've sorted the problem out yet but one possible solution suggests that turning on hardware acceleration might help.

If it doesn't then I'll probably try reverting to one or two older drivers.

Soldato
I don't know if I've sorted the problem out yet but one possible solution suggests that turning on hardware acceleration might help.

If it doesn't then I'll probably try reverting to one or two older drivers.
i moved away from firefox recently on both my work Mac & Home workstation (Win) due to FF taking up 16GB of ram.

Moved top brave (Chrome+ FF benefits) Loving it So much faster & lighter now only use 3GB vs 16GB (no plugins)

Caporegime
i moved away from firefox recently on both my work Mac & Home workstation (Win) due to FF taking up 16GB of ram.

Moved top brave (Chrome+ FF benefits) Loving it So much faster & lighter now only use 3GB vs 16GB (no plugins)

Cheers, I'll give it a go. There are a few others that I've been meaning to try as well like Waterfox and Pale Moon, so I'll keep an eye on how things go. Ta. :)

Permabanned
After using AMD's Software UI for a couple of months going back to Nvidia's feels like going back to Windows 98, AMD's UI is vastly better. I also hate the way Nvidia split functionality between something from Windows 98 and something from Windows Vista.

As for the software stack again AMD's is stuffed with useful features, a lot of which clearly Nvidia haven't even thought about yet... oh and "it just works" Nvidia do have an sharpening tool but the result is crap compared with AMD's RIS. The latter being about as good as DLSS2, it also causes Image Corruption in my Quixel Bridge UI.

Come back to the right side with RX 6000 series :)

V F

V F

Soldato

Seriously, why do people keep saying the 90s? Are you aware of what 90s UIs looked like. They're all pixelated 16bit. NASTY. NVIDIA's is from the XP era.

Soldato

One of the parts of AMD's drivers I liked was the UI, Very clean looking, I wish Nvidia would just move everything over to a GeForce Experience type of UI, Make it look modern.

Back
Top Bottom