Quest 2, Which WiFi6 Router?

Soldato
I had a pretty long session the other night with No Mans Sky on my Quest using Virtual Desktop right next to my router.

It worked very well, the biggest issue was on a planet at night the clouds and atmosphere showed noticable compression artefacts. The controller response was plenty good enough.

Ironically the frame-rate seemed better on my Quest than on my Index in native mode - possibly it's running at a lower resolution.

Associate
HMM So what I could do then is enable wifi on my virgin router and dedicate it for my quest, plug my PC directly into the virgin router instead of my switch.... my switch and its APs can be left untouched?

my switch has network prioritisation - can I not just set the quest to be the priority in the 5ghz?
I can even set everything to be forced on 2.5ghz because none of the devices use all the bandwidth (internet is only 200mb) would this be fine?

Soldato
HMM So what I could do then is enable wifi on my virgin router and dedicate it for my quest, plug my PC directly into the virgin router instead of my switch.... my switch and its APs can be left untouched?

my switch has network prioritisation - can I not just set the quest to be the priority in the 5ghz?
I can even set everything to be forced on 2.5ghz because none of the devices use all the bandwidth (internet is only 200mb) would this be fine?

you can try all of these things, I've just told you what the fastest/lowest lag will be

if you want to avoid buying a new router, try everything else first, VD will tell you what your lag is running at and you can choose if this is acceptable or not

Associate
you can try all of these things, I've just told you what the fastest/lowest lag will be

if you want to avoid buying a new router, try everything else first, VD will tell you what your lag is running at and you can choose if this is acceptable or not

well if the logic is right it is a good excuse to buy a new router, however do we know why it's less latency?...

Isn't the whole purpose to achieve dedicated 5ghz channel?

If that's the case I have 2 devices giving me the ability to have a dedicated 5ghz network:

PC (ethernet) > Virgin router (dedicated 5ghz) > vr headset
PC (ethernet) > Switch > AP (dedicated 5ghz) > vr headset

is the switch > AP really going to introduce that much latency?

Edit: on the vr tips website it says as long as everything else connects on 2.5 you are golden.

Dual band routers have a 2.4GHz and a 5GHz connection. 2.4GHz is most commonly used for wireless connections because it has a larger ranger and can be reached anywhere in your house (usually). All of the phones, smart TVs, laptops, and smart home devices connect on the 2.4GHz network and fight with each other for traffic.

5GHz wireless connections don’t travel as far, but provide much faster speeds. For most people, the Oculus Quest will be the only device fighting for traffic on the 5GHz network.

Simply put, 5GHz is required for a low latency connection with Virtual Desktop on Oculus Quest.

Yes, if your existing router is dual band then you have a few options. You can make it so that only your Oculus Quest is allowed to connect to the 5GHz band on your router and everything else will connect to 2.4GHz by default.

Last edited:
Associate
a bit off topic but ... would a wifi 6 router be able to pump out a strong signal better then say the virgin media hub 3? ... I currently use a:
tp-link tl-wpa9610kit dual band gigabit ac1200 wi fi powerline adapter for my wifes computer work in the other room and also the ring doorbell but the ring doorbell has issues connecting to it and the virgin media hub is too far away.
if so what would be the best bang for the buck wifi 6 router to work with the above and my quest 2 coming in ...
thanks

Associate
a bit off topic but ... would a wifi 6 router be able to pump out a strong signal better then say the virgin media hub 3? ...

no, it's still using a 5ghz signal. wifi6 allows more devices to connect at the same time, but in this case we are using dedicated channels, there would be no benefit.

I currently use a:
tp-link tl-wpa9610kit dual band gigabit ac1200 wi fi powerline adapter for my wifes computer work in the other room and also the ring doorbell but the ring doorbell has issues connecting to it and the virgin media hub is too far away.
if so what would be the best bang for the buck wifi 6 router to work with the above and my quest 2 coming in ...
thanks

if your wifes computer is going to be used for virtual desktop, the powerline adapter is going to give you latency.

Associate
if your wifes computer is going to be used for virtual desktop, the powerline adapter is going to give you latency.

ahh no sorry should have said that - wifes computer is just for her work - actually my laptop she "stole" to use for her work. thanks - just trying to get everything setup for the quest ... sounds like the wirelss connection will be a better experience then the wired which is strange ie better as in better quality

Associate
ahh no sorry should have said that - wifes computer is just for her work - actually my laptop she "stole" to use for her work. thanks - just trying to get everything setup for the quest ... sounds like the wirelss connection will be a better experience then the wired which is strange ie better as in better quality

not necessarily, we've been talking about using ethernet cable which is the standard
powerline can introduce noise which can degrade the connection (speed / consistency) however can still be better than wifi depending on your network configuration and network load
wifi can be good if it's dedicated, however inherently introduces latency

ultimately, if you can't get ethernet to the PC you are using, you may be hindering performance that doesn't necessarily mean getting a new router though, you should test your network as @andybird123 mentioned :)

your PoE may be able to handle it (we can't tell you without you testing)

Soldato

It does seem that if you can get a wireless connection you will get better quality than the wired link connection. But I wonder will it be the same a few months from now? They are talking about major improvements for the link.

Associate
It does seem that if you can get a wireless connection you will get better quality than the wired link connection. But I wonder will it be the same a few months from now? They are talking about major improvements for the link.
it's all good news tbf :) I have only seen link improvements for 90hz though... more surprises are always welcome however.

Soldato
well if the logic is right it is a good excuse to buy a new router, however do we know why it's less latency?...

Isn't the whole purpose to achieve dedicated 5ghz channel?

If that's the case I have 2 devices giving me the ability to have a dedicated 5ghz network:

PC (ethernet) > Virgin router (dedicated 5ghz) > vr headset
PC (ethernet) > Switch > AP (dedicated 5ghz) > vr headset

is the switch > AP really going to introduce that much latency?

Edit: on the vr tips website it says as long as everything else connects on 2.5 you are golden.

Dual band routers have a 2.4GHz and a 5GHz connection. 2.4GHz is most commonly used for wireless connections because it has a larger ranger and can be reached anywhere in your house (usually). All of the phones, smart TVs, laptops, and smart home devices connect on the 2.4GHz network and fight with each other for traffic.

5GHz wireless connections don’t travel as far, but provide much faster speeds. For most people, the Oculus Quest will be the only device fighting for traffic on the 5GHz network.

Simply put, 5GHz is required for a low latency connection with Virtual Desktop on Oculus Quest.

Yes, if your existing router is dual band then you have a few options. You can make it so that only your Oculus Quest is allowed to connect to the 5GHz band on your router and everything else will connect to 2.4GHz by default.

I don't have any switches or AP's to test, in theory it shouldn't make a big difference but you are only going to know by testing both ways.

Iirc, tyriel said the best connection he managed using any method was 22ms, which was the same for wifi5 or wifi6, so if you connect and see something like 30 or 40ms then you know you have room for improvement

Soldato
I don't have any switches or AP's to test, in theory it shouldn't make a big difference but you are only going to know by testing both ways.

Iirc, tyriel said the best connection he managed using any method was 22ms, which was the same for wifi5 or wifi6, so if you connect and see something like 30 or 40ms then you know you have room for improvement

Well, it was this video that convinced me to get a Router over a PCIe card.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV67AS4_TLs&t=1s&ab_channel=MacInVR

In the video he has done all the things that I would have done to get the card working and it still had more latency than the Router.

Associate
Hows the router performing with virtual desktop?

Has anyone tried the quest 2 with virtual desktop wirelessly...

What's the best router to go for?

Not that great I'm afraid. I didn't realise this router is only 10/100 for ethernet ports.

I'm returning it and getting a C6 instead as it has 10/100/1000 ethernet ports.

Will report back after second round of testing with new router.

Soldato
Hows the router performing with virtual desktop?

Has anyone tried the quest 2 with virtual desktop wirelessly...

What's the best router to go for?

I've tried it on my existing router wifi5, in same room it works flawlessly, in the next room it also works really well but with dips to 40-50ms and it made a noticeable difference to accuracy

have ordered an honor3 so will see how that fares, should be better just by virtue of the fact I can move it to where I want to play

Soldato
I've tried it on my existing router wifi5, in same room it works flawlessly, in the next room it also works really well but with dips to 40-50ms and it made a noticeable difference to accuracy

have ordered an honor3 so will see how that fares, should be better just by virtue of the fact I can move it to where I want to play

Excellent, keep us posted on the honor 3, what router have you currently got?

Back
Top Bottom