DON'T BUY MSI THEY MIS-SOLD TOP SPEC GT SERIES LAPTOPS with MXM Graphics

Associate
OP
I'm 50/50 on that - either they genuinely were caught out by it or are very aware their reputation couldn't take the hit as they dealt with it very quickly and decisively when it became news.

I'm going to lean towards the former as I have some experience of interacting with MSI and have never seen them deal with matters quickly or decisively.

But who knows, maybe after the MXM fiasco they have employed a PR firm that is competent.

Just in case you are reading this MSI (ex MSI too) - Reneged.

Soldato
I found it interesting they didn't try to wriggle out of it or wall of silence which either means they intentionally did it and realised the optics weren't good when caught out or were caught out by the actions of a subsidiary.
That's probably as close as to the facts as you're ever going to get. But as you say, their prior's haven't done them any favours - regardless of truth.

Associate
It's that, and the fact they are trying to bribe/threaten smaller youtubers, to remove any negative reviews (reported from gamers nexus, July time). Scummy behaviour which they seem to have been doing for years...

And to the poster that noticed my account is brand-new? It is! I found this forum by googling msi, and I have just pre-ordered an Asus tuf 3080 from OcUK! Any tips on monitoring my place in the queue?

Associate
OP
And I'm sure everyone is bored of this topic by now but there's an unexciting update:

Based on the Fourth Joint Stipulation of the parties and the recitals therein, the briefing and hearing schedule on the Motion for Class Certification is hereby extended as follows:

(1) Plaintiffs shall have to and including April 23, 2021 to file their Motion for Class Certification.

(2) MSI shall have to and including June 18, 2021 to file its Opposition to Plaintiffs.

(3) Plaintiffs shall have to and including July 23, 2021 to file their Reply in support of their Motion for Class Certification.

(4) The hearing on Plaintiffs Motion for Class Certification shall be heard on August 16, 2021 at 10:00 a.m. before this Court. IT IS SO ORDERED.

https://www.pacermonitor.com/public...et_al_v_Micro_Star_International_Co_Ltd_et_al

Associate
OP
Here's a novel situation; Dell/Alienware appear to have landed themselves in exactly the same situation with the "upgradeable" Area-51m.

Dell chose to market this machine as upgradeable, knowing that customers would understand that to mean “I can put a CPU or GPU in the machine that was not available on the day the laptop launched.” Desktop replacement PCs have existed for decades. The idea that the Area-51m was a “true” desktop replacement hinged on the idea that you could swap the CPU and GPU out for something new.

What’s particularly damning is that Alienware didn’t bother updating end users that their systems would not be upgradeable until May 2020, long after Area-51m systems had begun shipping to customers. As an OEM, Alienware would have known that Intel would move to LGA 1200 for 10th Gen long before Intel confirmed it publicly, and news of LGA 1200 had leaked by July 2019.

Source.

Associate
OP
Love how you keep on top of this. Is there any chance of an acceptable solution or is this just going to be buried?

The MSI class action is ongoing and will likely be a test case for the Alienware case.

I think MSI will make a gesture value offer to end the case but time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom