Winter Tyres ?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
It is safe on the road pal.

It passes an MOT every year same as everyone else’s. I had it looked at when the 6 month extensions came in and was told the Anti Roll Bar links was slightly worn, but would pass the MOT. But guess what i did, ordered a pair that day and changed them the next day. Ya know why ? Cos i want my car to be safe and the fact its an old car does play on my mind.

If budget tyre are so bad why are they being sold ?
So by your standards everybody should be forking out for the very best tyres around. Its unlikely that happens at all.

The Avon ZT7’s aren’t the cheapest tyres. But with the £25 per paid discount ATS are doing they work out pretty cheap. The cheapest on there are some generic things for £40 a pop. Which i certainly won’t be getting !

i came in here to get some good advice and most of us are having a good conversation about tyres and winter tyres, then theres you, who has just come in with no real input.

If you've watched the linked videos, or pretty much every other test about premium vs cheap tyres, you'll have happily seen that there is a significant difference between them.
So this isn't about whether a tyre meets government MINIMUM requirements, more about you KNOWINGLY making a choice about putting yourself and potentially others at increased risk, simply to save a few quid.
Do remember for context that most of us spend £1-5k a year on depreciation, MOT costs, insurance etc. To save yourself £100-200 on a better set of tyres when compared to the rest of the vehicle costs is just simply a false economy.

Please, do yourself and us a favour and do the job correctly.

Soldato
OP
If you've watched the linked videos, or pretty much every other test about premium vs cheap tyres, you'll have happily seen that there is a significant difference between them.
So this isn't about whether a tyre meets government MINIMUM requirements, more about you KNOWINGLY making a choice about putting yourself and potentially others at increased risk, simply to save a few quid.
Do remember for context that most of us spend £1-5k a year on depreciation, MOT costs, insurance etc. To save yourself £100-200 on a better set of tyres when compared to the rest of the vehicle costs is just simply a false economy.

Well i have watched the videos now. But your insinuation was that my car was unsafe if i put budget tyres on which simply isn't the case.

Thanks

Soldato

A bit of perspective is needed here, he's buying Avons, not some no brand chinese tat - they're a perfectly adequate, sensible tyre, he's not going to kill babies because he fitted Avons instead of Michelins at twice the price.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Well i have watched the videos now. But your insinuation was that my car was unsafe if i put budget tyres on which simply isn't the case.

Thanks

That's a matter of opinion.
As mentioned, there's the government minimum requirement, and then there's your conscience.

My personal view is that using economy tyres, old tyres that have gone off, tyres with no tread, or completely mismatched tyres is to knowingly create less a safe circumstance than is viable. As that is with a car likely to weigh 1.5 tons, possibly travelling at speed, I'm a little confused as to why you'd be surprised at not wanting to be in the same vicinity.

It's a question of personal responsibility to those around us. Unfortunately, Covid appears to be showing the UK to have rather a large contingent of "entitled", who think they're OK to put others at risk.
It would be great if people could be a little more thoughtful towards those around us.

Soldato
The front of my car was recently fitted with Michelin Primacy 4’s and i don’t intend on changing them.

there's your answer, stick with those

don't put snow tyres on for non-snow conditions, your grip will be non-existent = dangerous

I don't know were you got this from but I have a set of wheels with winter tyres on and they are very good in the wet or dry and excellent in snow. (Nokian)

They obviously don't last as long when it's dry so they only go on when bad weather is forecast - They went on last year only because I had a puncture the tyre fitters said they couldn't fix as it was to big a hole.

Soldato
OP
That's a matter of opinion.
As mentioned, there's the government minimum requirement, and then there's your conscience.

My personal view is that using economy tyres, old tyres that have gone off, tyres with no tread, or completely mismatched tyres is to knowingly create less a safe circumstance than is viable. As that is with a car likely to weigh 1.5 tons, possibly travelling at speed, I'm a little confused as to why you'd be surprised at not wanting to be in the same vicinity.

It's a question of personal responsibility to those around us. Unfortunately, Covid appears to be showing the UK to have rather a large contingent of "entitled", who think they're OK to put others at risk.
It would be great if people could be a little more thoughtful towards those around us.

I love how your jumping conclusions that everyone is like this. I came here to ask for advice and am now following the advice.

They are terrible in anything more than about 8c.

What are ? The winter tryes ?

Soldato
I try to run winters on my daily driver during the winter months, just because it helps with the colder weather and we do sometimes get snow. You can feel the difference when you get warm days in the winter though. And I don't think the warmer weather helps much regarding wear rates on winter tyres. I wouldn't necessarily say they are terrible. But on warmer, dryer days, you are definitely better off with a good summer tyre.

Soldato
I did a skidpan day at the beginning of the year, and the performance of winter tyres compared to summer ones in those conditions is truly staggering.

My car on Pilot Sports 4S was basically uncontrollable, whereas the guys on winters and good all season tyres could drive quite normally on the very slippery surface. It really opened my eyes to the benefits of running some winter or all season tyres despite living in the South East.

Underboss
I don't know were you got this from but I have a set of wheels with winter tyres on and they are very good in the wet or dry and excellent in snow. (Nokian)

They obviously don't last as long when it's dry so they only go on when bad weather is forecast - They went on last year only because I had a puncture the tyre fitters said they couldn't fix as it was to big a hole.

i didn't say "winter" tyres, i said "snow" tyres

Winter tyres might be ok, but wear rate will be bad in summer

i use All-Season Tyres myself, which are more suited to winter

Soldato
Just make sure you have 4 matching tyres that are well tested/reviewed.

You've spent out in X2 Primacy months ago, add 2 more then you're sorted for the next few years.

Simple.

Soldato
OP
Just make sure you have 4 matching tyres that are well tested/reviewed.

You've spent out in X2 Primacy months ago, add 2 more then you're sorted for the next few years.

Simple.
Yeah i done that.

I should have just brought a set of four when they was on offer, but the back didn't need replacing.

Only really doing it now cos i got a screw in one last week.

Soldato
OP
Had them done yesterday.

Took the lad a little while to do em, like an hour. But at least they are done.

So can't complain at all really. Need to find the correct PSI off the tyre and check the front now.

James

Soldato
Had them done yesterday.

Took the lad a little while to do em, like an hour. But at least they are done.

So can't complain at all really. Need to find the correct PSI off the tyre and check the front now.

James

dont go by the tyre for PSI
go by the inside of the drivers door sticker

Yes, this - the pressure printed on the tyre is the maximum it's safe to inflate it to, not the appropriate inflation you SHOULD set it to - go by the pressures the car manufacturer recommends - as ShiWarrior says, often located in the filler cap or sometimes on the pillar of the drivers door.

Back
Top Bottom