TV choice - bigger size or better (oled) panel

Associate
So, I'm looking to replace our 6 year old Sony 50" 1080p living room TV with a new 4k, and a larger size. Ideally my budget is a max of £1200 or so, but I have three real options standing out right now, of the following:

LG CX 55"
Sony XH90 65"
Samsung Q80T 65"

Now initially I was looking at a 65" OLED, but I really can't justify over £2k right now, hence the size differences. Usage is mixed, media streaming and gaming will be the two main uses (will be picking up a PS5 after the Christmas rush) and our living room isn't overly bright so the lower brightness on OLED is no concern.

In terms of size, the furthest spot on the sofa is approx. 3m away from the panel, so I'm debating if that justifies a 65" LCD panel over the 55" OLED. Our current TV is 50" and it certainly feels like it could be bigger.

So, that's my musing... Any opinions either way? I know they're all generally incredibly good tech and will be leaps ahead of my Sony W805

Soldato
While 65" would be better for the distance, I'd still probably go for the 55cx if it's a choice on those models etc. I sit around 2.5m from my 55cx and I wouldn't say an extra 0.5m would cause any issues and it's an absolute cracker of a tv.

Man of Honour
The 65" sets will make the bigger statement in the room, but unless you really need the brightness that LCD/LED can deliver, I'd take the drop-dead-gorgeous pick-your-chin-up-off-the-floor blacks and colour and contrast of the OLED every time.

Whether you notice any benefit of the additional resolution offered by the 4K screens over your 1080p set is debatable at 65" for your seating distance. Even if you sit really close to the screen, it's unlikely you'll get that wow factor from just the resolution.

I work with large TVs and projectors in home cinemas, but I'm rarely bowled over by the extra pixels. What always gets me though is when a picture does excellent shadow detail at the same time as maintaining an inky black if needed, and what that does to the colour saturation so that 2D images take on an almost 3D depth. These are things that you'll see from twice or three times the recommended distance for resolution. They're far more noticeable and much more impressive facets of picture performance than simple pixel counts. These are areas where OLED excels, and not just for 4K UHD images but also HD and even standard definition sources if adjusted correctly.

Soldato
Get the Samsung 65".Or even better, you can get the 75" Q70T for £1600 which would be far more immersive.

A 55" at 3m feels like a 32" these days, although the picture on the OLED is rather nice.

Soldato
I'd save up and get a CX 65" but I know the upgrade itch is strong so if you can't wait then I'd take the CX 55" especially if gaming is high on your priorities as it is just about the best gaming TV around. I've got the older W7 OLED and would struggle to go non-OLED again.

Soldato
Is the 65xh90 yet as cheap as the 55cx which has been running £1350 ?
if it were then probably the hx, given I watch tv with lights on mostly, and the black level+continual s/w problems on the oled would annoy me.
not keen on the Samsung for its processing capability versus sony.

- I'd go panasonic 55" oled rather than, them both.

Soldato
Imo bigger size.

I have an oled but I still thing size allows a more cinematic experience and appreciation Of the details in a picture

Associate
OP
While 65" would be better for the distance, I'd still probably go for the 55cx if it's a choice on those models etc. I sit around 2.5m from my 55cx and I wouldn't say an extra 0.5m would cause any issues and it's an absolute cracker of a tv.

The 65" sets will make the bigger statement in the room, but unless you really need the brightness that LCD/LED can deliver, I'd take the drop-dead-gorgeous pick-your-chin-up-off-the-floor blacks and colour and contrast of the OLED every time.

Whether you notice any benefit of the additional resolution offered by the 4K screens over your 1080p set is debatable at 65" for your seating distance. Even if you sit really close to the screen, it's unlikely you'll get that wow factor from just the resolution.

I work with large TVs and projectors in home cinemas, but I'm rarely bowled over by the extra pixels. What always gets me though is when a picture does excellent shadow detail at the same time as maintaining an inky black if needed, and what that does to the colour saturation so that 2D images take on an almost 3D depth. These are things that you'll see from twice or three times the recommended distance for resolution. They're far more noticeable and much more impressive facets of picture performance than simple pixel counts. These are areas where OLED excels, and not just for 4K UHD images but also HD and even standard definition sources if adjusted correctly.

Both reasons I was looking at OLED, despite the size disadvantage. I certainly don't need the extra brightness, our living room is east facing so pretty much no direct sunlight after 11am in summer. I'm actually considering looking at ways to move the space around and bring the sofas closer to the TV setup, just got to convince the other half that change is good :p. On a similar note, what's the optimal distance from a 55" 4k panel? Online information seems to be spread from 1m to 5m+, which is useless!

I'd save up and get a CX 65" but I know the upgrade itch is strong so if you can't wait then I'd take the CX 55" especially if gaming is high on your priorities as it is just about the best gaming TV around. I've got the older W7 OLED and would struggle to go non-OLED again.

Lovely idea, but I absolutely cannot justify over £2k on a TV regardless of being able to afford it or not.

Is the 65xh90 yet as cheap as the 55cx which has been running £1350 ?
if it were then probably the hx, given I watch tv with lights on mostly, and the black level+continual s/w problems on the oled would annoy me.
not keen on the Samsung for its processing capability versus sony.

- I'd go panasonic 55" oled rather than, them both.

I can get the 65XH90 for around £1200 vs £1250 for the 55CX with our discount at JL, so still benefitting from the 5 year warranty. Panasonic models they have are all higher prices, and I was under the understanding that LG are the ones really pushing the tech forward in this market.

Soldato
My furthest seat away is 3m for reference and not straight on.

I sat in it last night and watched a movie in Dolby vision. Had no issues or complaints my side. Wouldn't say it looks small and still looks good even with the angle.

Try mark it up with some frog tape on the wall, do 55" then the 65" around it so you can see the outline size at least.

Soldato
I think your mileage is just gonna vary based on individual taste. I watch a 77’’ tv from 2.8ish metres and I think it’s too small and 95’’ would be the sweet spot for films especially

most people who have come to my room prefer the size of the projector too.

Soldato
if a 55" is adequate then adding the 55xh900 @£900 is another option , sony image processing quality, and smugly putting £300 back in your pocket,
- if - as I do, I thought the oled was not going to nail the near-blacks on streamed 4k content , or upscaling of freeview/sky 1080 channels.

the panasonic 55 oled whilst better is £1400, more expensive as you said.

Associate
OP
I'm going to try reshuffling the living room at the weekend and reducing the spacing between the TV and the sofas to see how I get on with the current 50" size, and go from there. I do think I'm leaning towards the LG though, in all honesty...

Man of Honour
Both reasons I was looking at OLED, despite the size disadvantage. I certainly don't need the extra brightness, our living room is east facing so pretty much no direct sunlight after 11am in summer. I'm actually considering looking at ways to move the space around and bring the sofas closer to the TV setup, just got to convince the other half that change is good :p. On a similar note, what's the optimal distance from a 55" 4k panel? Online information seems to be spread from 1m to 5m+, which is useless!

1m is definitely too close.

I think all this stuff about optimal viewing distances for TV screens is completely overplayed.

It's a great selling tool for TV manufacturers who want to push people to buying the bigger and bigger screens, and no doubt there are a lot of consumers too who'll use it as justification that they need- / absolutely must have- / can't live without the biggest screen size in Christendom. It's much easier to say "the Internet says we (I) must have this size, dear" rather than "Fred down the pub has been bragging about his 65" telly. I'll show him. I'm getting the 75" :D:D:D

This idea of a perfect screen size for a viewing distance has come from the world of cinema. In that world it does actually make some sense.

Recommended screen sizes for cinemas are based on a few main factors. The screen shouldn't be so large that the viewer has to keep moving their eyes to take in the main action zone which is the central area about 2/3rds the width of the screen. Second, the screen shouldn't be so small that the brightness of the screen is uncomfortable to view compared to the darkness of the background.

There are also some guidelines for resolution, but since people have differing eyesight and the resolution of the screen image is different for 35mm film vs 70mm vs IMAX vs Digital Cinema 4K / 8K then there's just too much scope for the goal posts to move to come up with one number that fits all. All of this comes from THX, the standards organisation who set out to make sure that cinema patrons were getting a minimum standard of performance from the new breed of feature films with better sound as action films such as Star Wars hit cinemas in the 70s.

These recommendations were based on viewing in a cinema. But cinemas aren't peoples lounges. The conditions are different.

In a cinema, there's very little additional light other than the reflected light from the screen, and that's why the projected image needs to be a minimum size for the auditorium. Viewing a bright screen against too much black background puts strain on the eyes. Also, cinemas have some consistency when it comes to image resolution. Good 35mm film prints have the equivalent of roughly 4K resolution. 70mm and IMAX put that up further. At home, we've still got legacy SD at 576i all the way through to UHD (4K-ish), so our viewing distances need to be longer to cope with this much wider range of onscreen resolution.

In a perfect world all of our source material would originate at the highest resolution currently practical, but that's simply not possible. We can't go back in time and reshoot Steptoe & Son in 4K, or insist that the news satellite feed from some war ravaged country is at least 1080p, so even with upscaling and choosing only to watch HD channels, what's actually on those channels may well be something far below the resolution of the TV screen we are watching on. Our viewing distance then needs to take account of that in a way that just isn't a factor with commercial cinema.

IMO, the THX screen size charts have been misinterpreted and then used as a basis by all and sundry to have the "right" number, like it's some kind of King Arthur's sword.

Read the text on the THX article and you'll see that (a) they say HDR and WCG are for more noticeable than screen resolution, and (b) that the chart represents the points where sitting too close reveals the pixel structure, and that wrecks the illusion of TV.

If anyone is worried that their TV is too small and it will cause eye strain when watching in the dark then they're watching wrong.

TVs are too bright for watching in the dark. They were too bright four decades ago when we had 22" and 26" 4:3 sets that put out a fraction of the screen brightness of even the cheapest LCD TVs now. They're certainly too bright now that we have retina-searing brightnesses of over 1000 Nits (cd/2) possible from some of the higher-end LED sets.

When viewed in subdued lighting conditions, TV needs a backlight to soften the boundary between the screen brightness and the surrounding background. Put this in, and all the concerns about eye strain go away.

Put in a colour correct backlight such as the MediaLight MKII Flex and you get the additional benefit that the backlight colour doesn't influence your perception of the onscreen colours. This one is dimmable, and it maintains colour consistency even when dimmed. That's really important.

Soldato
further screen size points -

An upper bound for the screen size, I could tolerate, is driven by the pixellation, I would see, from the typical upscaled freeview sd material I watch (film4, 4seven), no one provides letter-boxing afaik.
Media that increasingly shows phone screens, or written notes, to communicate plot elements can be a pain on smaller screens, I think they often assume people have 55"

Associate
OP

That's some very useful info there, appreciated. Think I'll be headed the OLED route with the 55" panel, seems to be the smarter option.

3 bed house - 55"
4 bed house 65"
5 bed house 75"

that's the right size for the average person.

however enthusiasts will go to the biggest that will fit in the room

I mean, the lounge in my 2 bed flat is significantly larger than the lounge in my brothers 5 bed new build house, so that's a bit irrelevant?

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
3 bed house - 55"
4 bed house 65"
5 bed house 75"

that's the right size for the average person.

however enthusiasts will go to the biggest that will fit in the room
In my experience this is actually inversely proportional ( :p)...chavs will always somehow fit a 75" into their little house.

Caporegime
That's some very useful info there, appreciated. Think I'll be headed the OLED route with the 55" panel, seems to be the smarter option.

I mean, the lounge in my 2 bed flat is significantly larger than the lounge in my brothers 5 bed new build house, so that's a bit irrelevant?

The exception that proves the rule.

It makes sense that bigger homes with more bedrooms tend to have bigger living rooms.

Was it a budget builder? Or in an area scarce of land? Because every example I've been in the living rooms have been so large and spacious they look empty even though they have things like bars and pool tables on top of the usual stuff like several large sofas, etc.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-94986602.html

That's literally around the corner from me. As the closest house I could find on right move.

It's a new build.

Back
Top Bottom