JLR vehicle subscription

Soldato
It's just such a bizarre process to go through 'I won't compare the X3 and X5 at equivalent levels of spec because that's pointless, it's more useful to compare a £50k spec to a £100k spec'

Why would your decision be X3 with all options vs X5 with all options regardless of price, rather than best X3 that I can get for £50k vs best X5 I can get for £50k and see which car leaves you with the best spec?

You're essentially rejecting an X5 with similar equipment, just because it's a 'low tier' higher model, rather than a 'high tier' lower model.

At the time we were looking at purchasing 2 vehicles. One for everyday for myself and one for the Mrs. One of those vehicles would have to be the mobile office for when the **** hits the fan and I need to go and do 10hrs on the road after a day in the office.

I could compare a 50k and a 100k vehicle because They are both within budget.

In the same way that we also looked at the Skoda Kodiak and an Audi Q3 ( funnily we asked the Audi dealer if their build time was similar to Skoda's due to the emissions issue and them halting engine production. Audi said if you've been looking at the Skoda then maybe the Q3 is out of reach....Annnnnd thats a customer lost forever)

a 50k X5 would be of lower equipment spec than the X3 that we specced. Remember I want as many bells and whistles as possible.

Its not all about maxing out the budget and spending all your available funds. It was about getting the level of comfort/Equipment etc for a price that I was happy with.

Soldato
At the time we were looking at purchasing 2 vehicles. One for everyday for myself and one for the Mrs. One of those vehicles would have to be the mobile office for when the **** hits the fan and I need to go and do 10hrs on the road after a day in the office.

In the same way that we also looked at the Skoda Kodiak and an Audi Q3 ( funnily we asked the Audi dealer if their build time was similar to Skoda's due to the emissions issue and them halting engine production. Audi said if you've been looking at the Skoda then maybe the Q3 is out of reach....Annnnnd thats a customer lost forever)

a 50k X5 would be of lower equipment spec than the X3 that we specced. Remember I want as many bells and whistles as possible.

Its not all about maxing out the budget and spending all your available funds. It was about getting the level of comfort/Equipment etc for a price that I was happy with.

If the £100k car was within budget, what drove the decision for a small deposit on the X3? I guess you must have got a crazy low interest rate?

Soldato
If the £100k car was within budget, what drove the decision for a small deposit on the X3? I guess you must have got a crazy low interest rate?

The X3 just felt like a better deal.

50k for something like an X3 just seems crazy.

Why? Honest question.

I get the X5 is more prestigious. But thats not what I wanted in what is essentially a work vehicle. I needed a level of comfort and features so after a long drive I got home safe and not feeling like I've been in a tumble dryer

Yes the X5 would have also done that but worth the extra??

Its like mattresses i suppose is there really any great difference in a 100k mattress to a 3k john ryan. Or even a £900 silent night. Just because you can afford it doesn't mean you should.

Maybe I'm just a tick box wh**re.
If theres a box that needs a tick.......
Thats probably closer to the truth

Soldato
Because it's just a run of the mill crossover thing. What about the X3 is worth 50 grand? Especially one with a mundane 4cyl engine.

Soldato
Because it's just a run of the mill crossover thing. What about the X3 is worth 50 grand? Especially one with a mundane 4cyl engine.

We wanted new.
Engine wasn't really a factor hence the 2l diesel. Most of the driving that would be doing would be stop start or Motorway so either avg 20 mph or constant 70 ish.

Think they start now at about 45k so at £48xxx that we paid with all those options I think we got a good deal.

Soldato
That, or a bigger deposit.

Cash on hand. We had recently bought two restaurants but needed to change cars so PCP would still keep funds spare should the brown stuff hit the fan

Not forgetting that If I max my mileage Which I had last year we can claim in excess of £23k back which even after fuel is a fair saving too

Soldato

What's confusing though is if upgrading 'Seat Spec A' to 'Seat Spec B' is good enough for your mobile office in an X3, why wouldn't 'Seat Spec B' be ok in an X5 just because it was standard rather than an option? Why would you have to further upgrade it to 'Seat Spec C' just because? If they're good enough in one, they're surely good enough in the other?

Spec for spec the X5 will obviously be more expensive than an X3 because it's a bigger car and generally of higher quality, the fact it's an X5 not an X3 carries part of that premium, same as a 5 series will carry a premium over an 3 series of equivalent spec lists, just because it's bigger and generally higher quality materials.

What people (including me) are struggling with is the idea that you wouldn't buy an X5 with the same seats as you specced in your X3 because they'd suddenly somehow not be good enough.

Soldato
What's confusing though is if upgrading 'Seat Spec A' to 'Seat Spec B' is good enough for your mobile office in an X3, why wouldn't 'Seat Spec B' be ok in an X5 just because it was standard rather than an option? Why would you have to further upgrade it to 'Seat Spec C' just because? If they're good enough in one, they're surely good enough in the other?

Spec for spec the X5 will obviously be more expensive than an X3 because it's a bigger car and generally of higher quality, the fact it's an X5 not an X3 carries part of that premium, same as a 5 series will carry a premium over an 3 series of equivalent spec lists, just because it's bigger and generally higher quality materials.

What people (including me) are struggling with is the idea that you wouldn't buy an X5 with the same seats as you specced in your X3 because they'd suddenly somehow not be good enough.

I get you.

It's been noted that I have a few oddities lets say. I was going to say I dont really compromise but that would start a " the X3 is a compromise over an X5"

Maybe I could explain it that if I had gone for the lower spec X5. Then after a long drive if I were uncomfortable I would always be wishing I had specced the better seats. However if that happened in the X3 I'm unlikely to have thought I wished I'd spent the extra £30k or whatever on the X5

Again this is probably why I could settle for the best equipped X3 over a midrange X5.

Its not that the seats magically become no good.. Its just the seats I should have chosen were better.

Maybe rather than a badge snob I'm a equipment snob

Man of Honour
And why am I not allowed to compare the two in the decision making process..

Do you really expect us to believe you genuinely considered either an X5 specced up to £108k or a £50k 2 litre diesel X3?

It makes absolutely no sense. You can't even get an X5 for £50k new anyway which you'd surely know if you were speccing one up to the point you seriously considered buying it.

Soldato
Do you really expect us to believe you genuinely considered either an X5 specced up to £108k or a £50k 2 litre diesel X3?

It makes absolutely no sense. You can't even get an X5 for £50k new anyway which you'd surely know if you were speccing one up to the point you seriously considered buying it.

Makes absolutely no odds to me whether you believe it or not. Not everybody looks at purchases the same way you do. Not everyone thinks of them as a status symbol. Its a tool for a job for me. The car purchase wasn't that big a deal.

Did I say you could buy an X5 for 50k?

Soldato
Makes absolutely no odds to me whether you believe it or not. Not everybody looks at purchases the same way you do. Not everyone thinks of them as a status symbol. Its a tool for a job for me. The car purchase wasn't that big a deal.

Did I say you could buy an X5 for 50k?

Just grab an F15 X5 M50d around the 30k mark and be done with it.

Buy approved used and haggle so they add another year into the approved used warranty so it matches the 2yrs that Jag and Porsche offer.

Man of Honour
Not everybody looks at purchases the same way you do. Not everyone thinks of them as a status symbol. Its a tool for a job for me. The car purchase wasn't that big a deal.

All entirely consistent thought processes with a £108,000 SUV.

Not.

Back
Top Bottom