What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Bloodshot - 5/10

An interesting, yet somewhat predictable story which just got sillier the more it went on. Way too much slow-mo to the point that it felt like the film itself was an hour long and the other 45 minutes were just slow-mo

Did you notice how the mid-movie chase starts just outside London then ends up in some non-descript city which absolutely isn't anywhere in England and the cars suddenly have what look like mainland europe number plates :D

Man of Honour
Did you notice how the mid-movie chase starts just outside London then ends up in some non-descript city which absolutely isn't anywhere in England and the cars suddenly have what look like mainland europe number plates :D

haha!! Yes! I even had to pause it to google where they actually filmed, which was Cape Town. Laziest recreation of London ever

Associate
we watched "Ostwind" yesterday - one of the best in recent time. rating 8 out of 10 - speaks for itself. for those who love good adventure movies. this is a piercing and beautiful film about the friendship of two rebels - a girl and a horse

Permabanned
1917. Would give it a 9/10 but had the luxury of watching it on my 150" projection screen with surround sound. The whole film looks incredible from start to finish and it hits all the right notes in terms of capturing the horrors of war but with some genuinely touching character moments.

Associate
1917. Would give it a 9/10 but had the luxury of watching it on my 150" projection screen with surround sound. The whole film looks incredible from start to finish and it hits all the right notes in terms of capturing the horrors of war but with some genuinely touching character moments.

9/10? , the only thing going for it was that pseudo one shot camera take. This is a war film for the Marvel generation. There is limited emotion shown by the main characters, scenes that suspend reality and cliche, cliche.

Spoilers cut out

Things just seem to randomly work out for our hero, and quickly. There needed to be a few sequences where the hero is faced with the enormity of the situation, loneliness, desolation. Rather each time one chapter is finished he is immediately assisted in movies to the next.

This film pales in comparison to films like Saving Private Ryan and Platoon. An opportunity lost. The cinematography was great yes, but overall the film? 5/10 at best, and that's being generous.

Last edited by a moderator:

UTT

UTT

Associate
Super (2010) - 6/10
A grittier version of Kick Ass. Ellen Page makes it worthwhile.
Bloke in a red suit and a spanner takes on the comedy drug dealers that have kidnapped his wife.

Associate
1917 Review SNIP

Nailed it quite frankly. The whole one shot thing was a great technical achievement, but it ruined the rest of the film. As you mentioned, everything just rolled together too easily and too quickly and was quite jarring as a viewer.

Say what you will about Saving Private Ryan, but at least I had an emotional connection to the characters.

Soldato
Apart from the ridiculous sniper shot, there is little in SPR that requires any suspension of disbelief. The movie flows, follows logically, they don't just stumble upon Ryan, they're asking questions all the way along with whoever they find.

However, I haven't watched it for some years and on a re-watch there may be some more eyeroll moments.

1917 just felt like a jolly stroll through the trenches with luck on his shoulder, technically great, logically less so.

Associate
Apart from the ridiculous sniper shot, there is little in SPR that requires any suspension of disbelief. The movie flows, follows logically, they don't just stumble upon Ryan, they're asking questions all the way along with whoever they find.

However, I haven't watched it for some years and on a re-watch there may be some more eyeroll moments.

1917 just felt like a jolly stroll through the trenches with luck on his shoulder, technically great, logically less so.

Agreed.

Nailed it quite frankly. The whole one shot thing was a great technical achievement, but it ruined the rest of the film. As you mentioned, everything just rolled together too easily and too quickly and was quite jarring as a viewer.

Say what you will about Saving Private Ryan, but at least I had an emotional connection to the characters.

This exactly.

Soldato
The imitation games - 7/10

I enjoyed it. I dont know how accurate it is but nice to watch a historical movie about something important.

A bit sad what they gave him for his hard work.

Soldato
Saint Maude - 7/10

Billed as a psychological horror, this art house film explores the descent into a psychotic breakdown with quite visceral sound and camera work. Lots of close up shots gave a claustrophobic and intense experience.

Definitely not going to be everyone's cup of tea, as it's slow and little happens for a good portion of the film, but we both enjoyed it.

Soldato
Saint Maude - 7/10

Billed as a psychological horror, this art house film explores the descent into a psychotic breakdown with quite visceral sound and camera work. Lots of close up shots gave a claustrophobic and intense experience.

Definitely not going to be everyone's cup of tea, as it's slow and little happens for a good portion of the film, but we both enjoyed it.

Where did you watch it from?

Soldato
Watched The invisible Man recently thought it was really good and would watch again.

Also watched Underwater. It was ok, got straight into it rather than building up a bit of background on characters etc which made a nice change. Not really a film I would be jumping to see again but if it was on tv and there wasn't something else of interest then I would watch it.

Also watched Onward on Disney plus. It is quite sad in places but kept my interest. I was doing fine until the ending with the song and then I did shed a few tears :o

Soldato
Where did you watch it from?

A local Savoy cinema, thought is was just going to be the 2 of us, but another couple came in just before it started. The whole place seemed empty.

Whereas I went to see Akira on Sunday night at a different cinema and there were 30+ people, which surprised me.

Back
Top Bottom