PC Turned Itself Off

Soldato
Timings Table for XMP-3596 it has 1798MHz for the frequency.
Great - 3600MHz

Odd, that the XMP sets it to 3200MHz - perhaps BIOS update?

But - be sure you're using the correct voltage [1.45V] if you're going to try and CAS 16 16 16 38.

But you may want to try out 3200MHz @ 1.4V with the same timings and see how things go and then bump up.

**But was it a pre-build bundled/advertised with 3600MHz? If so, contact customer services if you continue to have stability issues at 3600MHz (or run memtest etc... - but again discuss this with OcUK)

Associate
OP
Great - 3600MHz

Odd, that the XMP sets it to 3200MHz - perhaps BIOS update?

But - be sure you're using the correct voltage [1.45V] if you're going to try and CAS 16 16 16 38.

But you may want to try out 3200MHz @ 1.4V with the same timings and see how things go and then bump up.

But was it a pre-build bundled advertised with 3600MHz? If so, contact customer services if you continue to have stability issues at 3600MHz (or run memtest etc... - but again discuss this with OcUK)

Good news! I disabled XMP and manually raised the voltage to 1.45V and the speed to 3600MHz and it has registered on CPUz. For DRAM frequency it has 1800 - I presume since it is DDR that gets doubled to 3600?

If I have gotten it to 3600MHz is there anything else I need to manually change in the BIOS? The only things I've manually changed are the voltage and speed.

The prebuild was completely custom with a parts list I chose myself, but the RAM I asked for and the RAM which is on the quality control list I received with my PC is definitely 3600 speed.

Soldato
For DRAM frequency it has 1800 - I presume since it is DDR that gets doubled to 3600?
Yes - Double Data Rate 1800 x 2.

If I have gotten it to 3600MHz is there anything else I need to manually change in the BIOS?
Timings - CAS 16 16 16 38.

**But you may want to try out 3200MHz @ 1.4V with the same timings and see how things go and then bump up. Given your previous issues?..

I received with my PC is definitely 3600 speed.
Yes it is - from sticker and SPD (you read the wrong tab initially).

However, a BIOS update may give further XMP options.

Associate
Yes - Double Data Rate 1800 x 2.

Timings - CAS 16 16 16 38.

**But you may want to try out 3200MHz @ 1.4V with the same timings and see how things go and then bump up. Given your previous issues?..

Yes it is - from sticker and SPD (you read the wrong tab initially).

However, a BIOS update may give further XMP options.

Back on my other account now.

I had changed it to what you suggested but it shut itself down again. I tried turning it back on several times but nothing happened. After a few minutes it did boot correctly. Could memory issues be causing this, or is something more problematic happening?

Soldato
Back on my other account now.

I had changed it to what you suggested but it shut itself down again. I tried turning it back on several times but nothing happened. After a few minutes it did boot correctly. Could memory issues be causing this, or is something more problematic happening?
It 'could' be that you have faulty memory - but it could equally be that your z490 wont run it at 3600MHz. It is specified as an OC so no guarantee that you will get your memory running at 3600MHz @ XMP. (For ref: I recently got a cheap set of 32Gb Tforce 3200MHz (2 x 16GB) running at XMP with little issue for comparison - on a the same quality Gigabyte z490 Master/10900K - so i would expect quality 8 Pack B-Die set to have zero issues at 3200MHz unless there was an issue.)

Although, my suggestion was to try running it at 3200MHz first to test for stability:
I would run the XMP for the 3200MHz and bump up the voltage to 1.4V and run with it for a few days and study stability. You may want to give OcUK a heads up via Customer Services - because if you still have issues at 3200MHz and was to fail memtest - then you may want to return for testing (If faulty i would swap to 32GB of TForce for £109 if this was the case and take the credit difference).

I would also look at your BIOS version and look at updates - and see if any refer to memory compatibility/stability - if they do i would update.

Associate
It 'could' be that you have faulty memory - but it could equally be that your z490 wont run it at 3600MHz. It is specified as an OC so no guarantee that you will get your memory running at 3600MHz @ XMP. (For ref: I recently got a cheap set of 32Gb Tforce 3200MHz (2 x 16GB) running at XMP with little issue for comparison - on a the same quality Gigabyte z490 Master/10900K - so i would expect quality 8 Pack B-Die set to have zero issues at 3200MHz unless there was an issue.)

Although, my suggestion was to try running it at 3200MHz first to test for stability:

I would run the XMP for the 3200MHz and bump up the voltage to 1.4V and run with it for a few days and study stability. You may want to give OcUK a heads up via Customer Services - because if you still have issues at 3200MHz and was to fail memtest - then you may want to return for testing (If faulty i would swap to 32GB of TForce for £109 if this was the case and take the credit difference).

I would also look at your BIOS version and look at updates - and see if any refer to memory compatibility/stability - if they do i would update.

Oh yes, I did run it at 3200MHz. Specifically 3200MHz with a voltage of 1.45 and the timings you suggested as well. I’ve let OcUK know.

Soldato
In passing you should remove the XMP setting until you have proven the system is stable. XMP is by definition overclocking of most of the parts in the system and is not guaranteed to work. The manufacturers test RAM at the XMP setting but they of course can not test the rest of your system. It may well be that the rest of your system is crashing out because of the XMP setting.
If it turns out to be true then you will have to manually adjust the XMP settings to something that works.

This ^^

Also in addition on at least a few boards (but probably most), it bumps up voltages as well.

Soldato
Oh yes, I did run it at 3200MHz. Specifically 3200MHz with a voltage of 1.45 and the timings you suggested as well. I’ve let OcUK know.
Good, I would stick with this and test for stability. There is negligible difference between 3200MHz and 3600MHz - certainly not worth stability issues or ~£100 if you can do a swap for 32GB of 3200MHz TForce - similar timings and double the Gb.

But, as mentioned anything over 2933MHz is classed as an overclock - but 3200MHz really shouldn't be an issue with that quality B-Die memory and board, but not all specs/systems are equal so if you get stability issue you may need to tweak.

EDIT: or have you got 4 x 16GB kit T ~£420? (TForce 32GB same timing at 3200MHz - only £100 if able to swap/not achieve over 3200Mhz)

Associate
Good, I would stick with this and test for stability. There is negligible difference between 3200MHz and 3600MHz - certainly not worth stability issues or ~£100 if you can do a swap for 32GB of 3200MHz TForce - similar timings and double the Gb.

But, as mentioned anything over 2933MHz is classed as an overclock - but 3200MHz really shouldn't be an issue with that quality B-Die memory and board, but not all specs/systems are equal so if you get stability issue you may need to tweak.

Is there any point in testing 3200MHz for stability when that’s what it was on when it crashed? Should I test 3000 or even 2933 for stability?

I have two of these:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...3600mhz-dual-channel-kit-black-my-001-8p.html

Soldato
Is there any point in testing 3200MHz for stability when that’s what it was on when it crashed? Should I test 3000 or even 2933 for stability?
Have you tried 3200MHz at 1.4v?

If so, yes, bump down to 2933Mhz - ensure that that this is stable and then incrementally work your way up. But, if this crashes at 2933MHz - you have a dodgy stick - run metest to ensure for returns ease.

*Note @pp111 comment it sums up well your predicament.

Although, i can't help but see there's a possible saving of ~£300 (if you have 32GB) to be had if you cant get premium priced 3600MHz memory stable at 3200MHz.

Associate

If so, yes, bump down to 2933Mhz - ensure that that this is stable and then incrementally work your way up. But, if this crashes at 2933MHz - you have a dodgy stick - run metest to ensure for returns ease.

Although, i can't help but see there's a possible saving of ~£300 (if you have 32GB) to be had if you cant get premium priced 3600MHz memory stable at 3200MHz.

No, I haven’t tried it at 1.4. I’ll try that as well.

Yeah, if I can’t get it stable I’ll see about replacing them with something else. Anything you would recommend? Maybe the TForce you were talking about?

Soldato
These are excellent value and proven to work with your MB/CPU at XMP - but, again, not all systems are equal.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Below is a very recent build that is very similar to yours (Using 32GB TForce) - shows the look of it in situ (if aesthetics are important) and activating XMP worked off the bat and zero stability issues.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/threads/gaming-pc-future-proof-gpu-in-hand.18900356/

Skip through the thread to setup/pics.

Associate
That’s not a bad looking piece of kit - I’ll probably get my current sticks refunded and go for those if mine are faulty. Problem is I’m worried if my memory isn’t what’s causing my problems. I’ll try memtest in the morning. To be honest I’d rather my whole computer goes back to OcUK and let them test everything, just to make sure there aren’t any other unnoticed issues. Thanks for all your help!

Associate

I should also note that I ran Windows Memory Diagnostic and there were no issues detected on that.

Associate
if you still have issues at 3200MHz and was to fail memtest - then you may want to return for testing

Right, so just after I posted my last update about running MemTest, after it was running for about ten minutes, my system completely shut down again. I’m going to try it again to see if the results are any different.

Edit: I wasn’t able to get my system to boot again, so I decided to take out my 8Pack kit and put in two of my old Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM, and my system still can’t boot. I know my Vengeance kit definitely works, because I’ve been using it for around two years with XMP on without any issues whatsoever.

Edit: I’m now testing the 8Pack in my old computer with MemTest to see if it passes.

Last edited:
Soldato
Right, so just after I posted my last update about running MemTest, after it was running for about ten minutes, my system completely shut down again. I’m going to try it again to see if the results are any different.

I think you need to test 2999MHz.

But, personally I would exchange if you can't get premium 32G 3600MHz B Die (~£420?) stable at 3200MHz. As mentioned you could have a huge saving of £300 and have the same 3200MHz speed/timings with the 2 x 16Gb TForce at £99.

*Although - unless the memory is faulty i'm not sure what the exchange policy is on built to order components.

Associate
I think you need to test 2999MHz.

I would if I can my new PC to boot properly. At the moment the LEDs come on for a second and it powers down again, although the red power symbol light on my motherboard stays on. If the 8Pack passes MemTest on my old computer would that suggest it could be a problem with another component - say my CPU or motherboard?

Soldato
I would if I can my new PC to boot properly. At the moment the LEDs come on for a second and it powers down again, although the red power symbol light on my motherboard stays on.
Clearing your CMOS should resolve this (presuming you have no special settings/overclocks on your board - you may have an OcUK profile you can load up)

Turn PC off at the wall (unplug), press power button on case to deplete all residual power - then clear the CMOS (Battery method for belt and braces - or short/bridge pins with a screwdriver or press button if it has one - read manual).

If the 8Pack passes MemTest on my old computer would that suggest it could be a problem with another component - say my CPU or motherboard?
It would at least prove the memory is fine - but you would expect the Z490 Master to out perform an older platform.

I would start liaising with OcUK Customer Services - as you don't want to lose any custom settings, plus a BIOS update would be advised, if not up to date, to rule your present one out.

Last edited:
Associate
Clearing your CMOS should resolve this (presuming you have no special settings/overclocks on your board - you may have an OcUK profile you can load up)

It would at least prove the memory is fine - but you would expect the Z490 Master to out perform an older platform.

I would start liaising with OcUK Customer Services - as you don't want to lose any custom settings, plus a BIOS update would be advised, if not up to date, to rule your present one out.

Thanks for the advice. I’ve updated Customer Services and I will see about updating the BIOS.

Tbh I’m starting to suspect that white flash of light I noticed when this began was more problematic than I was hoping it would be. I suppose it could be indicative of greater problems.

Back
Top Bottom