*** Nintendo Switch ***

Soldato
I'm sure this has been discussed many times already - but it's 1092 pages!
Memory cards - I can see the genuine cards are around £18 for 128GB and £43 for 256GB. Is there particular specification of memory card required?
Despite saying I wasn't buying anything from Prime Day - just picked up Switch and Ring Fit (wife wanted both for Christmas) for £315.

Soldato
I'm sure this has been discussed many times already - but it's 1092 pages!
Memory cards - I can see the genuine cards are around £18 for 128GB and £43 for 256GB. Is there particular specification of memory card required?
Despite saying I wasn't buying anything from Prime Day - just picked up Switch and Ring Fit (wife wanted both for Christmas) for £315.

Any class 10 card will work. I always go for the Sandisk ones, personally. Go for the biggest one you can afford as I promise you it will fill up fast. 256GB card is £27.99 on Amazon today.

Soldato
Can you pair joycons with multiple Switches? Obviously not at the same time - but can you use them with one, and then later with a different console, without having to do any kind of complicated reset?

Soldato
Oh right, if they reset that easily it's not an issue.
It might not even come up, but I'm thinking of getting my daughter a Switch for her birthday, and I can easily see the joycons getting mixed up between hers and mine.

Thanks!

Soldato
Just a quick headsup for anyone interested in Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit. It's great. Way better than I was expecting and eerily similar to the video game in feel and controls. It took a while to get familiar with the limitations - the course doesn't work well beyond 5m of the Switch and it has troubles with thick walls - but once you have a decent track down, it's top fun. Here's a quick race in my tiny flat on carpet. Excuse the crappy quality - holding the phone with my knees - and it's not the best race, but gives an idea:

//edit - here's the track IRL

YxLuW0r.jpg

This is at 100cc, which feels fast to me and a good deal quicker than 50cc. 150 and 200cc aren't unlocked yet. Drifting is surprisingly good considering you're not actually drifting. I think the game slows down one side of the Kart so you turn faster with a boost at the apex. Not sure. Satisfying either way. There's also a new weapon or course effect that seems to mirror the course and your controls. It's super trippy as you can drive normally but your home is backwards!

So far it's obvously not as pure a racer as the video game. It's much closer than I thought it'd be tho, totally chaotic and in some ways better. I got caught up in my gfs laptop cable in one race and lost right at the end. In another I knocked a book over that was keeping a gate steady and created a new obstacle. Pets could be great fun. There's more course effects like whirlwinds that get in your way than normal and i've been playing all afternoon on the same track without getting bored. Nintendo have done a good job of making the same course play in varied ways. Part of this is novelty for sure, but all in all i'm super impressed (and i'm a jaded old git when it comes to video games). Some friends will be coming round after the new lockdown subsides and it'll be fullon multiplayer!

Last edited:
Associate
I got mklive today as well. Had a blast with my kids. Making the course was great fun and the driving was really really good. Far superior than I was expecting. Can't wait to build some crazy courses.

Have only bought one just now. Might get another in next month or 2 once I get a feel for longevity.

Such an amazing piece of kit.

Associate
I have an issue, wondering if anyone's come across it before. I have one switch console, but two docks; one is attached to my PC monitor the other is attached to my LG C9. Whenever I use the switch in the living room (LG C9), the sound cuts off randomly for 1-2 seconds and then comes back. This can happen once a minute or 10 times a minute. I changed HDMI cables, and the docks, thinking it might be the dock, but whatever I do, whenever I use my switch on the LG C9 it happens. This did not happen in the past, so it's either a setting that I've missed that changed when firmware got updated with the telly or something else. Any ideas? It's driving me mad!

Soldato
I still find Mario 64 way better than Sunshine, which remains my least favourite of the 3D games. The camera is still wonky for sure but I prefer the controls over any other 3D Mario. The time it takes to pick up speed, the wider turning circle, the momentum as you slow down. Rather than clunky, it's more involved. I get a greater sense of vertigo and excitement walking across a narrow path a few storeys up than being on top of the highest skyscraper in Odyssey's Metro City - and this translates into every step and jump you make in the game. This is the best way to play Mario 64, but it really did deserve a proper remake from the ground up. Fixed camera, 16:9, 60fps, reworked textures, fx and gui. Best 3d Mario ever.

Associate
I still find Mario 64 way better than Sunshine, which remains my least favourite of the 3D games. The camera is still wonky for sure but I prefer the controls over any other 3D Mario. The time it takes to pick up speed, the wider turning circle, the momentum as you slow down. Rather than clunky, it's more involved. I get a greater sense of vertigo and excitement walking across a narrow path a few storeys up than being on top of the highest skyscraper in Odyssey's Metro City - and this translates into every step and jump you make in the game. This is the best way to play Mario 64, but it really did deserve a proper remake from the ground up. Fixed camera, 16:9, 60fps, reworked textures, fx and gui. Best 3d Mario ever.

Yeah, Odyssey and the two Galaxy titles were out of this world.
Reminding me of Galaxy I wonder if Galaxy 2 will get a standalone remaster as it's not part of this set.

Would love a proper original DK trilogy remaster as well. Love DK.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Yeah, Odyssey and the two Galaxy titles were out of this world.
Reminding me of Galaxy I wonder if Galaxy 2 will get a standalone remaster as it's not part of this set.

Would love a proper original DK trilogy remaster as well. Love DK.

Galaxy 2 will just get the same treatment as galaxy one but it will be sold standalone by Nintendo for far too much money.

Associate
Have you updated the TV firmware or tried a different hdmi input?
Thank you, tried this this morning. Firmware is up to date, but tried another HDMI port and it seems to be okay. Not sure why.. could the port have degraded? Only tested for 5 minutes, will test further tonight when we play some Mario Tennis.

Associate
My lad has asked for Super Mario Party for his birthday which is handy as it is on digital sale at the minute. If three of us wanted to play how many joycons do we need. We currently have a pair of joycons and the pro controller. thanks

Back
Top Bottom