high cpu useage until i open task manager

Associate
hey all

having a weird issue i think since the latest windows/gpu driver update last week.

i can be browsing etc youtube and my cpu useage will stay at around 45% (using msi afterburner).

when i close browser (edge) the cpu still stays at the same useage no matter how long i leave it.

the split second i open task manager the useage drops down to normal (my fans ramp down)

any ideas?

Man of Honour
hey all

having a weird issue i think since the latest windows/gpu driver update last week.

i can be browsing etc youtube and my cpu useage will stay at around 45% (using msi afterburner).

when i close browser (edge) the cpu still stays at the same useage no matter how long i leave it.

the split second i open task manager the useage drops down to normal (my fans ramp down)

any ideas?

Why don't you open task manager before you open your browser and then see what causing it.

Process explorer is an advanced monitor I would use that

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Soldato
because if i have resource monitor or task manager open even before i open browser it doesnt happen.

I wonder if you have a dodgy browser extension that is acting as a cryptominer. I have read that they can check if Task Manager and other monitoring tools are open. Go to Settings, System, and check that 'Continue running background apps...' is disabled.

Soldato
Check out @Quartz suggestion (malwarebytes has a free download you could test and then dump).

You could download Chrome and see if it has the same issues?

Associate
OP
hi
i removed any browser extensions and bought malware bytes.
seemed to have done the trick,it did day it found a miner so thankyou for the advice.

i have only been running windows defender up until now.

cheers

Back
Top Bottom