Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Man of Honour
Was fine today but yesterday mid morning my connection died. SH stats just showed no connection/sync to their network. Rebooted the SH and all was fine again :confused:

Soldato
3 weeks in and still have insanely high pings between 5pm (literally on the dot) and 10pm - Posted all of mine and the father in law's TBQM on their forums and they admit there is a capacity issue in the local area and are working on a fix (yeah, right) yet the next village along hasnt, so assuming its local village POP thats the issue? Only ever arose since they started offering 1Gpbs around here.

I've moving soon down the road, was really tempted to take Gig1 on a new contract but really thinking not to now. The new house has a GFast enabled cab literally next to it, so estimated speeds there are 149Mbps with BT/Sky/Zen for half the cost

They wont even offer any compo or money off the bill because it works for 19 hrs of the day :(

Soldato
3 weeks in and still have insanely high pings between 5pm (literally on the dot) and 10pm - Posted all of mine and the father in law's TBQM on their forums and they admit there is a capacity issue in the local area and are working on a fix (yeah, right) yet the next village along hasnt, so assuming its local village POP thats the issue? Only ever arose since they started offering 1Gpbs around here.

I've moving soon down the road, was really tempted to take Gig1 on a new contract but really thinking not to now. The new house has a GFast enabled cab literally next to it, so estimated speeds there are 149Mbps with BT/Sky/Zen for half the cost

They wont even offer any compo or money off the bill because it works for 19 hrs of the day :(

Overloaded MSAN i'd have thought if the village down the road is fine.

Soldato
My Black Friday deal for £25 a month for 100mb broadband and phone is up at the end of November and increases to £50 which I won't be paying, how early can you phone up TK negociate a new deal?

Soldato
Fun and games still waiting for my install, was supposed to be Wednesday but we've had over 10 engineers come look and walk away as it's not an easy install. Last lad who turned up was straight out of school, trackies and hoodie up taking pictures for his boss as it was 'too much work' for him...

Associate
Just upgraded my 350Mb BB and Phone to 500Mb BB and phone as my £35PM deal was due to end. New price £43PM fixed for 18 months, when Gig1 arrives in Preston I'll probably jump to that unless FTTP makes an unlikely appearance. It's a shame they still don't follow the 10:1 DL/UL ratio they harped on about a few years ago.

I will say it only took a 10 minute phone call at 8.30AM and 5 minutes for the modem to resync at the higher rate. I use a whitebox pfsense firewall (i5 4590T) and a Unifi AC-Lite AP in case anyone is wondering, Superhubs after the 2AC are awful.

Soldato
Ive canceled mine and switching to Three 5g instead. £24 for 200mbit+

Virgin then called and offered 100mbit for £24 lol, I said no and they said ok £18. But I know they will just increase it again in a few months so nope.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Virgin then called and offered 100mbit for £24 lol, I said no and they said ok £18. But I know they will just increase it again in a few months so nope.

Unless it was some kind of rolling contract option, the price you agree on should be for 12-18 months. There may be some small increases in that period but it wouldn't jump from £18 to £24.

Soldato
I'm in a "very good" coverage area so it should be pretty good. I think the mast is only a few 100 meters away.

Given Three's frequency allocation for 5G and average speeds on the whole network have gotten progressively worse as reported over the last few years by various 3rd party reports (which EE seem to consistently do well in), it's probably a good idea to test the service before you disconnect.

Ive canceled mine and switching to Three 5g instead. £24 for 200mbit+

That simply isn't true. If the retail price is £30/m (for example) and they agree to discount it by £12/m for the contract period, you get that discount for the duration of your contract. That doesn't mean the next annual review won't increase the retail price to £32, but you still get your £12 discount as agreed. The only way you get multiple price increases a year is coming off fixed term contract to a rolling 30 day contract so you jump to retail pricing, and then being subject to the annual price increase later on.

Soldato
Given Three's frequency allocation for 5G and average speeds on the whole network have gotten progressively worse as reported over the last few years by various 3rd party reports (which EE seem to consistently do well in), it's probably a good idea to test the service before you disconnect.

Hows this :D

Untitled.jpg

Soldato
Strangely cropped to remove the network provider and flys in the face of OpenSingal, Rootmetrics and Nperf data, but enjoy it :)

Oops. I re-did it. Here we go:

Untitled.jpg

Problem is it's still getting faster by the time the test ends, so I don't know what it will level out at.

Getting less jitter than on virgin as well which is suprising.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom